Gibson Brands Forums

Page # 2

sparky scott 29

The bottom line here is...

There IS a market for the sigs Or they wouldn't sell.

They are NOT better than an average 'custom shop' Les Paul.

If we could all afford them we might/would buy them.

I have customers that buy cars for £170,000 and watches for £10,000.

So it goes accross the board.

The wealthy have always had their toys.

When I get the urge I blow my money on gadgets.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would Gibson stop making Reissues?

Just because you want every guitar to cost like 600 dollars and play the same as one that sells for 6000 dollars, its not gonna happen.

This isn't communist Russia, if you like it, buy it. If you can't afford it, save up :rolleyes:

Why is this thread even still going on?

the thread fred, is still going because people are prepared to discuss it. I value others opinions regardless of whether i agree or not. But let me clarify, this isnt about being comunistic or wanting to see ALL guitars at $600.

Yes people have the choice to decide which guitar they want to buy. And because something costs more it doesnt automatically make it better.

yes i think there is a difference between players and collectors.

lashurst i agree with your statement..

"There IS a market for the sigs Or they wouldn't sell.

They are NOT better than an average 'custom shop' Les Paul."

I agree there is a market for sigs and reissues but i still think the constant churning out the same old thing by gibson is lazy. By all means keep les pauls, sg's etc etc and in several ranges. like i said studio, standard and specials, different finishes etc this would fit most budgets and if people want a reissue or sig have it done as a custom. I just think that a company of gibsons quality has the ability to come up with something new rather than keep firing out the same old thing.

Why don't Gibson try and move the Les Paul on a stage. Advance the bridge. Perhaps advanced rollers in it?

What about new materials? Carbon neck? Ceramics? Resins? There are a lot of new materials out there.

They don't have to be wood. Aluminium top? The list goes on.

There are some great young designers out there. They could have a competition. They could ask on this forum.

Quick release locking nut. They've already got the self tuning. Just don't put the silly s**t on them.

They could sell them between the normal models and the Sigs. That would bring the young players home.

Give me the job Gibson. I'm right next to Birmingham University, the best place to do it.

Why don't Gibson try and move the Les Paul on a stage. Advance the bridge. Perhaps advanced rollers in it?

What about new materials? Carbon neck? Ceramics? Resins? There are a lot of new materials out there.

They don't have to be wood. Aluminium top? The list goes on.

There are some great young designers out there. They could have a competition. They could ask on this forum.

Quick release locking nut. They've already got the self tuning. Just don't put the silly s**t on them.

They could sell them between the normal models and the Sigs. That would bring the young players home.

Give me the job Gibson. I'm right next to Birmingham University, the best place to do it.

some nice ideas, i'd love to see more bigsby style trems on guitars, hell even try a floyd rose on some of the existing stuff..lol.. but thats partly my point. freshen things up and look at new ideas rather than just the old

Probably because of the limited success that other companies have been having with carbon fiber and other "Alternative" materials. And the expense of things like rolling nuts and Quick Release gadgets make it unnecessarily expensive for the Players Market. Look at fender, they have all kinds of cool nuts and tremolo devices, but the Two Point Synchronized Tremolo and the Vintage Six Screw Tremolo are the most playable.

And Gibson does offer Les Pauls with Floyd Roses and Bigsby's.

And Resins and Aluminum were tried right out of the gate. There were plastic guitars coming out of Italy while Gibson and Fender were discovering what worked. Travis Bean made Aluminum Necked guitars and they just didn't work out so well. Advancement for the sake of advancement seldom works out.

The short of it....our Gibsons ain't Broke, don't fix 'em.

I just posted this on a Gibson Facebook post about the Slash Appetite For Destruction Les Paul. I thought it pertained to the subject:

"I would never spend that much money on a guitar. Gibson, I suggest you start making less collector guitars and more guitars for the real guitarists. You guys know full well that the average guitarist cannot afford a $12,000 guitar. Stop making guitars for famous people and start making them for people who are trying to be famous. Also, tell Henry that he needs to leave that robot crap alone and start making real guitars. I mean for god's sake, use all those valuable resources to invent a completely new guitar! Without those waste of money robot parts of course. I want a guitar that I can play, not one that does the playing for me."

I just posted this on a Gibson Facebook post about the Slash Appetite For Destruction Les Paul. I thought it pertained to the subject:

"I would never spend that much money on a guitar. Gibson, I suggest you start making less collector guitars and more guitars for the real guitarists. You guys know full well that the average guitarist cannot afford a $12,000 guitar. Stop making guitars for famous people and start making them for people who are trying to be famous. Also, tell Henry that he needs to leave that robot crap alone and start making real guitars. I mean for god's sake, use all those valuable resources to invent a completely new guitar! Without those waste of money robot parts of course. I want a guitar that I can play, not one that does the playing for me."

eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif

This is kind of a strange argument, IMO. Make "More" guitars for the Working Musician (or Up-and-coming Musician, whichever you prefer)? If you go to Musicians Friend, click on electric Guitars, then click on Gibson, then sort by Price low-to-high you get 3 pages of Gibsons that cost less than $2500, 2 pages of Gibsons that are less than $1500. How many more guitars do you want Gibson to target you with? And that's not counting high end Epis that play as good or better than the Gibby LP Studio, and look just as nice on stage.

Well, you guys do have to admit one thing:

The Page #2 is way cooler than the Jonas Brothers Sig model...

[biggrin]

Who the hell are the Jonas Brothers? More ninety day wonders that now have star status?

wtf.gif

Hahaha.... That was great... Ya gotta love it..

I don't even know how many posts so far,

I was just throwing out there, how, or why, is this thing so much??

I mean, come on really?? Is it THAT much of a difference??? smiley-violent083.gif

This is kind of a strange argument, IMO. Make "More" guitars for the Working Musician (or Up-and-coming Musician, whichever you prefer)? If you go to Musicians Friend, click on electric Guitars, then click on Gibson, then sort by Price low-to-high you get 3 pages of Gibsons that cost less than $2500, 2 pages of Gibsons that are less than $1500. How many more guitars do you want Gibson to target you with? And that's not counting high end Epis that play as good or better than the Gibby LP Studio, and look just as nice on stage.

Very sound evaluation. [thumbup]

Perhaps the desire is for a $700 guitar that plays as well as a $2000 guitar? Well...I daresay the SG Special plays as well as the 61RI.

An LP Studio costs about $1000. It's every bit the guitar that the most expensive ones are...the lack of binding may be an issue for some, but I doubt that these players couldn't get used to it.

Gibson sells a Melody Maker. It runs about $500 street. The LP Supreme runs about $3,400. The celebrated aged/signed Felder LP runs about $12,500. As does the Page #2, if I'm not mistaken?

As I've been saying, no shortage of guitars. Even a beginner can have a Gibson.

Very sound evaluation. [thumbup]

Perhaps the desire is for a $700 guitar that plays as well as a $2000 guitar? Well...I daresay the SG Special plays as well as the 61RI.

An LP Studio costs about $1000. It's every bit the guitar that the most expensive ones are...the lack of binding may be an issue for some, but I doubt that these players couldn't get used to it.

Gibson sells a Melody Maker. It runs about $500 street. The LP Supreme runs about $3,400. The celebrated aged/signed Felder LP runs about $12,500. As does the Page #2, if I'm not mistaken?

As I've been saying, no shortage of guitars. Even a beginner can have a Gibson.

And, I have to admit, if I was raking in over a Quarter of a Million a year I'd have a Jimmy Page set up in my home studio. And the #2 would be looking awfully nice sitting next to the #1. I'd have my own stuff, too, but I'd have a couple "Clone" set ups just cause I could afford it. Hendrix, SRV, Page.....

WTF man. Really. WTF? That's all I can think about right now.

The world would be a better place if people would stop thinking only about them and what they want.

I own a robot and really like the guitar, what about I go and ask Henry to stop producing everything else and just produce the robot? It would be stupid wouldn't it?

What if I ask fender to stop making the stratocaster 'cause I don't like it, and to start building just telecasters? Stupid eh?

What if I ask Gibson to stop making every model I don't like and just make those I like, in the finishes I like and with the features I like? They'd be nuts to agree and do just that... they'd only sell to one guy: ME.

Are you for real?

Sorry for the rant guys, but I'm kind of getting tired of people trying to impose their point of view in a private company that makes lots of stuff they like and some stuff they don't.

If you don't like it don't buy it, don't waste time writing about it, don't try to convince others that they shouldn't like it. JUST LET GO AND MOVE ON. We live in a wonderful world and have the most amazing society where we can buy whatever we want in the model/flavor/color/size we want... why whine about something we don't like and some guys do? Just don't.

WTF man. Really. WTF? That's all I can think about right now.

The world would be a better place if people would stop thinking only about them and what they want.

I own a robot and really like the guitar, what about I go and ask Henry to stop producing everything else and just produce the robot? It would be stupid wouldn't it?

What if I ask fender to stop making the stratocaster 'cause I don't like it, and to start building just telecasters? Stupid eh?

What if I ask Gibson to stop making every model I don't like and just make those I like, in the finishes I like and with the features I like? They'd be nuts to agree and do just that... they'd only sell to one guy: ME.

Are you for real?

Sorry for the rant guys, but I'm kind of getting tired of people trying to impose their point of view in a private company that makes lots of stuff they like and some stuff they don't.

If you don't like it don't buy it, don't waste time writing about it, don't try to convince others that they shouldn't like it. JUST LET GO AND MOVE ON. We live in a wonderful world and have the most amazing society where we can buy whatever we want in the model/flavor/color/size we want... why whine about something we don't like and some guys do? Just don't.

lol.. why have forums or opinions??[biggrin]

lol.. why have forums or opinions??[biggrin]

It's good to voice your opinion but in a constructive way... saying "hey Henry, stop producing everything but a historically correct les paul standard for less than 600 bucks and of course dump all that hi tech stuff you guys are wasting time with" is not constructive at all.

It's ok to not like something, I don't like strats, I don't use the middle pickup on any guitar, I do own strats and superstrats and I happen to like some guitars that have a middle pickup, I don't go up on forums and webpages demanding everyone stops making guitars with a middle pickup. See? I just don't buy them and/or don't pay them attention.

Archived