Gibson Brands Forums

Bass recommendations

Silenced Fred

Fred-

Just go play them. You have a sound in your head... likely more than one. Go find the bass that gives you what you "hear" in your head. For me, it was the LTD F-104. I tried several, but that was the one that delivered everything from KISS to Bootsy.

Oh... and try Eden amplifiers... both their Nemesis line as well as their Eden series.

That strat is just elegant with that blue pickguard.

Thanks... It had a red one when I bought it.... and my P-bass had a plain black guard.... I changed them both to make them kind of a "set".

The Strat is a "frankenstrat". It was my cousin's. He was badly injured in a motorcycle crash and I sold 44 of his guitars. I bought 4 of them for myself.

The bass I've had for about 30 years.

Depends on what style you want to play. The Epiphone Jack Casady is truly amazing for blues, jazz, vintage rock and if your style is melodic. About the only thing it doesn't handle well is slapping. Also check out the Schecter C4.

Depends on what style you want to play. The Epiphone Jack Casady is truly amazing for blues, jazz, vintage rock and if your style is melodic. About the only thing it doesn't handle well is slapping. Also check out the Schecter C4.

Pretty much sums up my playing lol I like to do melodies instead of pounding away at the root, and it would be mainly for blues, jazz and some blues rock. I don't slap and after seeing Jack Lawrence play a semi hollow epi bass with the Greenhornes, I want one

I used to play some bass. Ended up sharing a Precision, bassman amp and 4-10 cab.

Now if somebody sez, "here's $2,000, go get a bass and amp to go with our band," I dunno what I'd do regardless of style of the band. Maybe a Precision or Jazz or a dozen other brands - even an acoustic or two owned by other guys that I've payed a little over the past cupla years.

Frankly I think a lotta bass stuff I'd be likely to do - and really about all the styles I've heard played around here - could be done with about any decent bass and amp and perhaps a bit of stomp box games.

So... my idea on bass really is the same as on guitar.

If it's comfy and technically sound, why not? If the amp has a good general sound with enough volume for the style or a patch to a PA, and the combination ain't muddy... a relatively skilled player should be able to give a decent peformance as long as he/she knows the material.

m

My brother has a Rickenbacker 4003. It's a great bass. I think you should go for a Rickenbacker 4080/12 though:

rush-lith08.jpg

54311.jpg

Geddy looks a lot like my 9th grade environmental science teacher in that bottom pic.

I asked him if he liked Rush, and he said "don't touch that stuff, it'll wreck your brain."

A couple of label mates of mine have endorsement deals with Spector. I have to say, for the price, I've really enjoyed their basses. Might not be what you're looking for, but even their Professional series, which are pretty reasonable, feel and sound really good to me. Their American made, neck-through basses are amazing, but cost an arm and a leg. The Professional and European series are much more reasonable, and for their price points deliver a lot. They may not suit your Jazz tastes, but I figured you might want to check them out anyway.

Spector Bass

On the other hand, the bassist in my band has a Fender Jazz Bass, and it's a joy to play as well.

My 2c.

- B

I don't really play a ton of jazz, just some cleans and most of the basslines I come up with are usually very melodic and incorporates multiple string runs. I don't know, just could never stand pounding away at the root. My one friend on facebook posted him doing a cover of a song, and all it is is him playing "E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A E E E E E E E E E E" for like 5 minutes and I want to kill myself. What tops it off, is that he starts texting midway through the song [lol]

Archived