Gibson Brands Forums

Best Guitar For Slide?

ClassicRocker23

Well I was wondering what guitars u guys use for slide? I play classic rock/blues and Im kinda lookin for an Exile On Main St kinda sound. So in all of ur slide experience what did u find the best?

I like the sound of my Les Pauls for slide, but the upper fret access sucks. I guess it kinda depends on whether you need the

high notes or not in your slide style. I need them, so I recently got one of these just for slide...

DSC_0033.jpg

I like the sound of my Les Pauls for slide, but the upper fret access sucks. I guess it kinda depends on whether you need the

high notes or not in your slide style. I need them, so I recently got one of these just for slide...

DSC_0033.jpg

Yeah man that sg looks SWEET. I've definitely been lookin into them.. What kind of les pauls dju use for slide?

Yeah man that sg looks SWEET. I've definitely been lookin into them.. What kind of les pauls dju use for slide?

Well, I had been using this Standard Faded. Like I said, great tone, poor upper fret access...

DSC_0011.jpg

Hmm tele for slide.. never heard of it but sounds very interesting :D

Have u had any experience with it?

yup i own both telecaster and sg special faded.. tele wins for slide, sg for darn near everything else.

I would like to build my own guitar for slide....the best features I can think of for a guitar dedicated to slide:

Les Paul shape with redefined heel, similar to the axcess.

lollar LapSteel Pickup and a p-90, with master volume and master tone, and a mixing knob, to mix the output from each pickup, and of course a three way, so that the mixing knob is activated only in the middle position.

Korina, a little metal plate like a resonator, for looks, in natural.

and highish action.

I use my Squier 51, beefy neck with a 1.65" nut.

I have a GFS '59 humbucker and a single Lace Sensor on the neck position, the middle position is out of phase and the humbucker can be split.

There is a wide of ranges I can cover with that.

I learned slide on that Squier so personally I find the Gibson scale odd, I guess I could get used to it but my Les Paul has ver low action and my other Gibson is an Explorer so those 2 guitars are not slide material.

Hmm tele for slide.. never heard of it but sounds very interesting :D

Have u had any experience with it?

Have a listen to Clapton's 461 Ocean Blvd, that's all Tele Sliding he's doing on tunes like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWobe4Y998w

and....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLDDxfFKd9Y

One of my favorite Albums.

I do have Firebird Studio for slide playing.I changed pups into Seymour-Duncan Vintage `59 Blues set and I´m happy with her.

Upper frets are well reachable and the 60`s neck profile is perfect for me with slide.

Her sound has SG midrange and almost LP deep bottoms.Only negative thing it is her size when playing confined stages.

Archived