Gibson Brands Forums

Too indecisive to ever have a "signature tone"...

EvanPC

After seeing a lot of tone related threads, and noticing how much trouble some go through to find that elusive tone, I've started to realize that I don't think I'm the sort to have a "tone". Anybody else this way?

I'd probably want play too many different guitars too often. I'd probably be very stripped down and without many pedals and/or effects. I would probably always be thinking of different tones to match song A, or song B, for example. As a result, this constant tone changing would mean no establishment of consistency, and therefore, no identifiable tone.

In a way, I'm disappointed in myself (sort of kidding on this one, but...seriously). At the same time, I think there's a fine line between having a great signature tone, and just being monotonous. I don't know where it's at, I just know that in my opinion, some players alleged to have a tone of their own bore me. Then again, there's others with undoubted signature tone that I could listen to for eternity.

Just throwing it out there...

A guitarist friend of mine came to my house with a huge rack full of things, and he claims that he needs all that for his own personal sound. The guy spent more than an hour setting everything up, and still couldn´t get it the way he wanted. Personally, I like simplicity and different sounds for different songs, specially with so many great amps with many presets that you can play with. [flapper]

Yeah..I think a "signature tone" is pretty much reserved for the top level players who make a living playing music and have reached a level of success where other people would recognize their tone. I doubt many of those guys hang out on forums discussing their tone. :-k

For guys (and girls) like us, I think we get a thrill when we can recreate a sound of our heros. Or come up with a great tone of our own. But then the question becomes, "for what"? Some of us might hope to someday become successful and have others recognise our great tone. Or maybe just have the satisfaction of listening to themselves in the bedroom or basement.

For people like me who play in cover bands, we end up playing a lot of different songs. I spend more effort trying to get different tones depending on the song. But I try not to be too anal about perfectly matching my cover version to the original.

It's a constant battle between just playing and enjoying it, and trying to achieve "that sound".

Well I am just a hobbyist so the people here that are actually trying to make a go of it professionally probably matter more than I do but over in 20+ years I have gone from like 12 pedals and all their inherent noise problems etc. to several different multi-effects pedals, multiple amps SS, Hybrid, Modeling, and all Tube, and 2 guitars. What I have now that I am MUCH more satisfied with is one quality tube amp, only 4 pedals that I actually use anymore and even that is rare and 5 quality guitars - though I'd love more :rolleyes: ! I have learned that "my best tone" is just me, the guitar, and the speaker and a great guitar and a great tube amp, I brag on Egnater a lot, makes that happen. I know that when that sucks, it's my fault not some freakin' pedal, noise, SS pop or hiss, etc. The more I try to synthesize my sound the more I hate it or frustrated I become with it. So, Strat and Carvin 200T on one end, to my R9 and my Carvin CS6 in the middle, to my Lifeson on the other end => quality tube amp => speaker.

Hope this helps. [thumbup]

man, i don't sit around overanalyzing stuff. never really even thought about a 'signature tone'. over the years, i just had stuff repaired, replaced, or modded until i got to a point where i was satisfied with my tone. i don't really care about tweaking my tone for different compositions either. more interested in coming up with different fingering and strumming patterns. just all about the riff....

Maybe it is just me; but I think tone is like your personality - ie always there, no matter what! You don't need to spend $$$$$ on it, you just need to stop looking for it - and realise it was there all along msp_thumbup.gif

If you have to search and/or create it, it is like trying to invent a personality. Any tone (personality) that is created so consciously, will not sound genuine to my ears. I think this is why I often find modelling amp effects don't agree with those silly ears of mine LOL.

So yes, I think the idea of giving up the search is an excellent idea!! Giving up is sometimes good.

Matt

I think it comes down to the player.

Clapton has woman tone, but he really only used that specific tone in the late 1960s.

Slash has had the same tone (and used pretty much the same equipment) for years.

I can almost always tell when either is playing. With Slash it's definitely tone, and with Clapton it's all about style.

I actually hope my tone changes over time. As new equipment comes to market, as I discover new sounds I like, and as I grow to enjoy more styles of music, I know my rigs will change.

The things that I think will generally stay the same are in my approach to playing the guitar. Granted that I am able to keep playing regularly, I hope I will continue to refine my current skills, and learn new ones that might take me from being a complete hack to maybe only being kind of a hack. However, I have certain things I like to hear and I don't like to hear when it comes to guitar. I have my own approach to vibrato, which may be refined but which at the core I think will stay much the same. I pick in a certain pattern, accentuate my strumming with certain preferred rhythmic spices, or drop the pick and finger-pick with my own style. None of these things are new inventions of mine, and they're majorly influenced by artists I love, but my approach to them does have something different, to my ear at least.

I personally don't want a signature tone, at least one I have for the rest of my life. When I think about a lot of my favorite guitarists (Clapton, Page, Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, B.B. King, etc.) I hear their unique style, not a unique tone, in my head. So, if I ever progress enough to have a memorable style, that's when I'll be really psyched.

- B

Maybe it is just me; but I think tone is like your personality - ie always there, no matter what! You don't need to spend $$$$$ on it, you just need to stop looking for it - and realise it was there all along msp_thumbup.gif

If you have to search and/or create it, it is like trying to invent a personality. Any tone (personality) that is created so consciously, will not sound genuine to my ears. I think this is why I often find modelling amp effects don't agree with those silly ears of mine LOL.

So yes, I think the idea of giving up the search is an excellent idea!! Giving up is sometimes good.

Matt

Thats good Matt......Look at all the famous players....As a general rule, many change amps, guitar brands, pedals, etc., often throughout their career, and yet manage to keep somewhat of a sig. tone.....

Then you have players like J.Page, who's sound changes song by song; yet, you always know it's him..And live, he has a sig.sound........So, much of one's tone comes from the person themself, as much as it does from the choice of equipment.....I use a variety of guitars and amps, and yet, those who know my playing can recognize my 'tone' simply by knowing my sig. 'tone', regardless of the style of music I'm doing, which is all over the map...

Tman15something now claims that he has found his tone; I beg to differ.....He's a young player, it will change...........

As with Canon Muntant, I now prefer Egnater amps.....But regardless if I'm playing a Gibby, a semi with P-90s, or a Strat, my 'sound' changes, but my 'tone' remains recognizable.....

As such, once one has enough good equipment to choose from, getting one's 'sound' is different from developing one's 'tone.'.......Fred61, Nathan, is still trying to nail down a sig tone....IMHO, he'll find it, or rather, he'll choose it when he realisizes he's been using it for some time; it will be an AHA !! moment for him..........and he'll be a happy camper.....

I've been doing pre-production on new recordings, and folks tell me, " You are all over the map with styles and guitars, but only you sound like you." To me, that means that I've found my tone, and I am at peace with that.....

Like Matt says, let your signature tone and sound happen........it will find you........why fight it ???????

Damian an Matt I totally or is that tonally agree.

Signature tone is for the famous few - My search for tone is to get a solid guitar sound that I always like and appreciate and that is consistent enough to play in a group and not struggle to sound good. I never wanted to sound like Slash or Clapton or anyone else I want to sound like me but the good me without struggling and twisting knobs for an hour, and not the sucky me that escapes if I get to fancy. Thats why I use very few pedals when I'm playing in public or with others.

For my acoustic rig or resonator I use a Fender Volume/Tone pedal and a Boss Loop station into a acoustic amp when needed.

When playing my electrics (any of them) I use a Tuner usually Peterson strobe - Fulltone OCD - ZVEX Box of Rock - ZVEX Fuzz Factory and a volume pedal with one of my tube amps usually the Mesa or Fender (57) unless it's a large area than I go to my Soldano (Slo100) into a Marshall cab and that's pretty much it.

For voice I use one of the early Blue microphones - Baby Bottle which is allot more microphone than my voice needs.

The only other thing I regularly mic is my harmonica but I use a Madcat Shaker handheld microphone or a old bullet mic from the early 40's

Now when I'm just screwing around at home or practicing then almost anything goes I'll hook up all kinds of pedals or even my synth but not in public, there I go for a proven mix that I know works.

In the past I've wasted a lot of time on tone when I should have been playing more instead. It took me a while to realise that all my guitar heroes still sounded pretty much the same no matter what guitar and amp they'd play. Clapton on a Strat or a Gibson is still Clapton to my ears. I recently tried a small hard jazz pick which because it's so small makes you hold it with very little pick showing beyond my finger and thumb. My tone was instantly different with a lot of harmonics from the mix of pick and skin. Has anyone else tried this and got the same effect?

Anymore, I just set the amp the way I want it, and the same with the onboard settings , and play.

That's because you are the Lord of The Amps.....and because you already have and understand your tone and sound.....and because you are an awesome bassist...........

Excellent RetroSurfer....and you indeed have a few guitars to choose from.......[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] ............

Thanks and I do have a few in fact I have way too many for even my warped logic anymore, that's gonna change though I've decided to try and thin the heard to 25 guitars max hopefully over the next year. After retiring from real work this year my wife and I are trying to downsize even though we have several homes in Arizona, Chicago and one being built in Hawaii this year so it'll be interesting to see if I can do it. I figure 7 electrics an acoustic and a resonator and 2 or 3 amps in each place should be more than enough. [unsure]

My search for tone is to get a solid guitar sound that I always like and appreciate and that is consistent enough to play in a group and not struggle to sound good.... Now when I'm just screwing around at home or practicing then almost anything goes I'll hook up all kinds of pedals or even my synth but not in public, there I go for a proven mix that I know works.

+1 !

I started out years ago with the idea that every song should have its own special sound - different dirt for each rocker, for example. I thought it was important to prevent listener fatigue and to help keep songs from all sounding the same. More recently I have begun to focus more on writing the guitar parts and song structure for keep the sound fresh, and as retro said so well - go for something proven that I know will sound good to my ears no matter what... even if it's kind of generic.

- I'm still working on that, but I'm getting closer, and it's a much more satisfying goal, I think.

In my humble opinion, the personal sound doesn't have anything to do with the gear that you're using. I know a guy (one of the best players I 've ever heard, I might add) who can play whatever guitar/amp and he always sounds like him. Of course, good gear can help, but the real personal feel (vibrato, groove, melody, licks, phrasing or type of riff etc.) is always the same. It takes a lot of time to develop a personal style, but in the end everybody does it somehow, which is a good thing. [thumbup]

Lots of great responses.

Just to clarify, I've never been on a mission to find a tone. Just making the observation that I am not the type to do so, and only recently realizing it.

I don't have the patience or attention span for it. Nor the wallet. I tend to be satisfied with what I've got, which are the basics. In my opinion, I've got a few good guitars, a stubborn but determined pedal in my Marshall Jackhammer, and a decent amp. I hold the belief that the rest should be up to my playing.

I respect or appreciate those who say they have a tone, and even more so when their peers acknowledge that they have a tone, but I think a previous poster was right in saying that tone should just happen. It shouldn't be a conscious, premeditated creation, which can come off as disingenuous.

After seeing a lot of tone related threads, and noticing how much trouble some go through to find that elusive tone, I've started to realize that I don't think I'm the sort to have a "tone". Anybody else this way?

I'd probably want play too many different guitars too often. I'd probably be very stripped down and without many pedals and/or effects. I would probably always be thinking of different tones to match song A, or song B, for example. As a result, this constant tone changing would mean no establishment of consistency, and therefore, no identifiable tone.

In a way, I'm disappointed in myself (sort of kidding on this one, but...seriously). At the same time, I think there's a fine line between having a great signature tone, and just being monotonous. I don't know where it's at, I just know that in my opinion, some players alleged to have a tone of their own bore me. Then again, there's others with undoubted signature tone that I could listen to for eternity.

Just throwing it out there...

great topic, and yes just sound like yourself rather than chase others tone. I agree, i change guitars and amp settings depending on song so i'll never have just one sound or tone

Matt

One of the most intelligent responses I have seen, too many people sweat over things like this (which some enjoy doing, and for others like me takes some of the fun out of playing). I'd rather spend more time making those tubes glow than fiddling with effects.

Thanks and I do have a few in fact I have way too many for even my warped logic anymore, that's gonna change though I've decided to try and thin the heard to 25 guitars max hopefully over the next year. After retiring from real work this year my wife and I are trying to downsize even though we have several homes in Arizona, Chicago and one being built in Hawaii this year so it'll be interesting to see if I can do it. I figure 7 electrics an acoustic and a resonator and 2 or 3 amps in each place should be more than enough. [unsure]

Yeah, I think I like to keep multiple guitars around for similar reasons. Ya know, a couple for the back room, one for the living room, and maybe a couple in the bedroom... [flapper]

So you've just retired. Has the been position been filled yet? Where should I send my resume?

Archived