Gibson Brands Forums

the "voice" of a guitar............

onewilyfool

I've been "delving" into some vintage guitars through some very knowledgable friends and a couple of purchases of my own. One thing I've discovered that not all so-called vintage guitars are good sounding guitars....but when they are....wow.....There is just something about the aging process that sometimes just brings out the sweetest tones and sound. Something, I dare say, that is not easy to find in new guitars. In comparison, newer guitars sound a little "tight" by comparison, even to my untrained ear. But even beyond this ALL guitars have a certain "voice", and this is what attracts us to a particular guitar. My friend is a luthier who makes those Gypsy guitars, and those guitars are made to be LOUD, to cut through the mix, but the "tone" or "voice is not there for me, as I like the sound of a finger style guitar with good sound separation on the strings and a clear sweet voice. I will take this over volume each time. Good volume is a great asset, because for me, it means I don't have to "work" a guitar as hard to get the sound out. Anyway, just thinking out loud, wondering what your experience is.......

One thing I've discovered that not all so-called vintage guitars are good sounding guitars

...and I wouldn't have it any other way. Same goes for those who use the "Gibsons are inconsistent" line. It really requires

the guitar player to define what sound it is that they are going for, and to then find the instrument that makes that sound. Have you ever been auditioning a guitar & heard "the" sound? The deal is done. I know that guitar has that sound "in it".

As you were saying about the aging process. It is as if a seed is planted & it takes many years for that sound to develop.

I often wonder what the sound of some of the "perfectly good guitars" I have sold will blossom into, years down the

road...

those guitars are made to be LOUD...

Sometimes I think loudness is overrated. Good, yes, if an errant banjo player isn't able to adjust his volume level, for

example, but there are other ways to draw back, and make that volume difference obvious.

It's the very intangible nature of the acoustic guitar that makes it the enigma that it is. And the fact that the best sound

can come out of something so improbable.

You know what always mistifies me . . . .

Some of those vintage specimens are "discovered" in a closet, under a bed, and worse: in an attic or in a garage . . . . sometimes mistreated by temperature and humdity for large chunks of time. And then someone finds one, dusts it off, finds only a couple minor issues, and presto - it's a frickin' gem. Looks great, plays great, sounds great. I find that amazing . . . . . because here I am, trying to be responsible in the care of my instruments, battling the elements, checking humidity levels, checking temps, and some guy finds an uncared for guitar sitting in an attic for 40 years and it blows my guitars away.

Survival - a cosmic mystery.

BTW, why can't I ever find a guitar like that? [crying]

That's one side of the coin, the other side is, I've played closet kept guitars and having never been played, don't seem to have the sound of some of the beat up ones I've played, that seem to have a lot of miles on them, and a LOT of playing. I think the playing of a guitar over the years, also adds to the good sound. My friend who collects vintage guitars agrees with this. They seem to have more MOJO, and not just mojo looks, but mojo sound......just saying.....

You know what always mistifies me . . . .

Some of those vintage specimens are "discovered" in a closet, under a bed, and worse: in an attic or in a garage . . . . sometimes mistreated by temperature and humdity for large chunks of time. And then someone finds one, dusts it off, finds only a couple minor issues, and presto - it's a frickin' gem. Looks great, plays great, sounds great. I find that amazing . . . . . because here I am, trying to be responsible in the care of my instruments, battling the elements, checking humidity levels, checking temps, and some guy finds an uncared for guitar sitting in an attic for 40 years and it blows my guitars away.

Survival - a cosmic mystery.

BTW, why can't I ever find a guitar like that? [crying]

If you place your guitar near some speakers, including a woofer - and turn up some music - you'll feel your guitar 'receiving' the vibrations. Much more 'sympathetic' than your car door vibrating to 50 Cents, I'm thinking the wood is learning to vibrate - which it probably didn't have much opportunity to do as a tree or a piece of lumber. Unlike a drum head, or a tuning fork which are manufactured - the wood hears the music and learns to respond. And I would further hypothesize that different woods, grains, etc. even if all Spruce, recieve and learn to shape the sound slightly diffently.

Guitar voice? Hmmm... my guitars were talking the other day, I heard one say to the other "I wonder when that idiot Larry is ever gonna learn to play"!

Yes, mine talk behind my back, too! "You think she even knows we have more than just those three frets??":rolleyes:

Archived