Gibson Brands Forums

Looking at a J200

albertjohn

I've got two of the Epiphone Elitist J-200s, one natural and one sunburst. Absolutely adore them, but have never done a side-by-side with a sure 'nuff J-200 for comparison.

Brian

Reno, NV

Ohhhhhh,...very exciting!!! Photos please Brian!!!!

[drool]

Beautiful.

In my quest to find the best sounding Gibson the J-200 was the clear winner. Price point disallowed ownership but bought an Epiphone EJ-200 just for kicks. No comparison. Ended up giving it to my dad as it was still a beauty and he loved it plugged in.

Get it if you can...

Triumph1050, Was that Epiphone J-200 an "Elitist" or generic Epi? If it was an Elitist, what didn't you like about it?

Brian

It was not the Elitist.

The EJ-200 looked great and played nice...it just didnt sound good to me. Hardly any volume for its size and just sounded dead.

Some of it could have been set-up or strings or whatever I just didnt connect with it and gave it to my dad who has given me several guitars over the years. He's 65 and still plays lights out...way better than me and he did his setup on it and likes it...especially plugged in, which he did the electronics himself. It didnt come that way.

Right around that time the Masterbilts came out and blew it away in my opinion so I dont miss it at all. Unlike my departed J-45VS.

Archived