Gibson Brands Forums

Looking at a J200

albertjohn

It's 2001 - I have the serial number. BIN price is £2,040, but I'm considering an offer, unless one of you get in before me.

I have asked the seller for some pics of the action height and the saddle. From the pic of the neck, the action on the bass side looks quite high, but you can never tell from pictures.

Other than that, it looks a stunner.

It's 2001 - I have the serial number. BIN price is £2,040, but I'm considering an offer, unless one of you get in before me.

I have asked the seller for some pics of the action height and the saddle. From the pic of the neck, the action on the bass side looks quite high, but you can never tell from pictures.

Other than that, it looks a stunner.

I'm hoping that the members of this forum would respect other members when they're working on a guitar, and not try to drive up the cost or spirit it away prematurely.

Good luck. It's a beauty.

Looks like a beauty.

4 ribbon bridge. That's something to consider - the distance between the saddle and the bridge pins. The extra 2 ribbons on a 4 ribbon bridge make the distance between the saddle and the bridge pins greater. If in the future you have to lower the saddle for action adjustments, the break angle over the saddle gets more oblique, than on a 2 ribbon bridge. For that reason, some would rather have the 2 ribbon bridge. Here's a shot of mine for comparison -

08GibsonSJ200bridge.jpg

J2001.jpg

BTW, my pickguard is carved/colored on the underside and shows no wear.

Just a couple things to think about. No deal breakers.

Looks like a beauty.

4 ribbon bridge. That's something to consider - the distance between the saddle and the bridge pins. The extra 2 ribbons on a 4 ribbon bridge make the distance between the saddle and the bridge pins greater. If in the future you have to lower the saddle for action adjustments, the break angle over the saddle gets more oblique, than on a 2 ribbon bridge. For that reason, some would rather have the 2 ribbon bridge. Here's a shot of mine for comparison -

08GibsonSJ200bridge.jpg

J2001.jpg

BTW, my pickguard is carved/colored on the underside and shows no wear.

Just a couple things to think about. No deal breakers.

I've learned something again here. I often wondered why some folk preferred the 2 ribbon bridge. I thought is was just the aesthetics. Great post BK. Thanks.

I'm not at all concerned about the pickguard. My understanding is that they do wear as a rule, like with the Hummingbird pickguards. At least it increases the probability that it's genuine.

I'm going to sleep on it.

I'm going to sleep on it.

AJ, you should never sleep on a J200. The sound hole being farther away from the edge of bass bout, will position your neck in a way as to be uncomfortable. It's always preferable to sleep on a square-shouldered dreadnaught.

You take a look at the one on the above link? Its a 4 ribbon bridge version...and its cheaper at £2,000!

Yes. It looks a beaut too. I'll contact the seller and see if I can get some more pics and have a chat with him. Is this one known to you?

Yes. It looks a beaut too. I'll contact the seller and see if I can get some more pics and have a chat with him. Is this one known to you?

No mate,..but Guitar Mart is not a bad place to Buy/Sell in the UK...The seller seems to be London based so you can go and check the guitar out. Always a better option strait EBAY purchase in my book...

[thumbup]

Word of warning young AJ!!

What you ACTUALLY are gassing for is a Pete Townsend which the one on Ebay isn't.

I have a similar problem in that I couldn't find the model I wanted so I have parked the money until I do.

You buy something other than the object of your desires and you will suffer every time you hit that Bm/F# Bmsus4/F# F#7sus4 sequence into Pinball Wizard!

Mark my words!

Word of warning young AJ!!

What you ACTUALLY are gassing for is a Pete Townsend which the one on Ebay isn't.

I have a similar problem in that I couldn't find the model I wanted so I have parked the money until I do.

You buy something other than the object of your desires and you will suffer every time you hit that Bm/F# Bmsus4/F# F#7sus4 sequence into Pinball Wizard!

Mark my words!

Words duly marked John.

Whilst it is true that I go all goggled eyed and stupid at the thought of owning anything with his name on it, I'll be very happy with a good, natural, J200.

Options still very much open on this one.

Archived