Gibson Brands Forums

Went To The Studio Today............

Tman5293

I get the impression you work more on your lead than you do rhythm? Is this true?

I've read people referring to you as being young, so I'll assume you haven't been playing too terribly long (relatively speaking). In my opinion, you've got some awesome lead potential! My ear thinks you have a good feel for phrasing and timing, which will only get better the longer you play.

With some more work on your rhythm, you're going to be great.

I get the impression you work more on your lead than you do rhythm? Is this true?

I've read people referring to you as being young, so I'll assume you haven't been playing too terribly long (relatively speaking). In my opinion, you've got some awesome lead potential! My ear thinks you have a good feel for phrasing and timing, which will only get better the longer you play.

With some more work on your rhythm, you're going to be great.

Thanks man!

I am young I guess. 17. I've been playing for seven and a half years. And I do work on my leads a whole lot more than my rhythm. But I wasn't playing rhythm for that song. My guitar teacher was.

Yes, I should have clarified. In regards to the rhythm, I was referencing the other tracks I've heard from you, not the one you just posted today. The Zeppelin stuff.

It was sort of a "while we're on the subject" comment.

Well I think that the reason I don't work on my rhythm skills much is because I enjoy playing lead way more than playing rhythm.

Well I think that the reason I don't work on my rhythm skills much is because I enjoy playing lead way more than playing rhythm.

I'm gonna sound like an old timer here, but you have to work on rhythm. To me, that's the most important because it will only make the lead playing better. I have a friend who can play scales all day and sound really cool in guitar center, but when you want to jam with him, you can't. He has no rhythm.

If you have been playing for seven and a half years, you should get around to that rhythm stuff

I'm gonna sound like an old timer here, but you have to work on rhythm. To me, that's the most important because it will only make the lead playing better. I have a friend who can play scales all day and sound really cool in guitar center, but when you want to jam with him, you can't. He has no rhythm.

If you have been playing for seven and a half years, you should get around to that rhythm stuff

I'm aware that it's important. But like I said, I find it pretty boring to play. However, I can usually jam pretty well with my friends and my guitar teacher. I usually play rhythm best in 12 bar blues jams.

Fred I do not mean this to sound like I'm flaming you, that is not my intention. However, I think Tman5293 is in a position to be giving me and you the advice in this forum. So far, his approach has been working very well for him. I would leave it to the more experienced and seasoned players to give such advice. [thumbup][biggrin]

Fred I do not mean this to sound like I'm flaming you, that is not my intention. However, I think Tman5293 is in a position to be giving me and you the advice in this forum. So far, his approach has been working very well for him. I would leave it to the more experienced and seasoned players to give such advice. [thumbup][biggrin]

Once again, thanks for the kind words Bill. msp_thumbup.gif

Although, I don't know if I'm that good. msp_unsure.gif

Bill, don't mean to sound like a ****, but I don't think that's a fair statement. You don't know my playing, you don't know how many shows I've played, and you don't know me. My response was to what someone else said about rhythm, and he should work on it more. All I said was that rhythm was important. Are you going to tell me I'm wrong? Rhythm isn't important?

Looks like I'll ask you next time someone asks for advice or I just won't post :)

Hey man,

1) This was another good recording. I like the smoothness in your phrasing.

2) Pretty sure I heard a few licks in there where you started with some double-stops. Nice use of double-stops.

3) Great tone on this one. Very vintage-sounding and woody.

I've got nothin' else to add. [thumbup]

Thanks!

The tone was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better on this one! My guitar teacher let me use his Bugera tube amp and his BOSS Blues Driver. Sounded amazing!

It's always been my opinion that you can't really separate the two. Great players seem to move seamlessly between chords, double stops, single note lines, etc. Licks, fills, voice leading all flow together as one. A solid rhythmic foundation is important regardless. It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing! [biggrin]

Bill, don't mean to sound like a ****, but I don't think that's a fair statement. You don't know my playing, you don't know how many shows I've played, and you don't know me. My response was to what someone else said about rhythm, and he should work on it more. All I said was that rhythm was important. Are you going to tell me I'm wrong? Rhythm isn't important?

Looks like I'll ask you next time someone asks for advice or I just won't post :)

I've heard your "music".

I've heard your "music".

That's BS acoustic stuff that I have written and recorded each song in less than two hours, from me sitting down, turning on the computer, grabbing a guitar to posting it on here.

I also love how you avoided every single point I ever brought up and just disregarded it.

To be honest, I don't give a **** what you think of my "music"

I have never heard any of your "music" so don't talk **** if you can't walk the walk hmmmm?

When I get back hom on Sunday, I'll post a cover of some popular song just for you bud. Sound fair?

That's BS acoustic stuff that I have written and recorded each song in less than two hours, from me sitting down, turning on the computer, grabbing a guitar to posting it on here.

I also love how you avoided every single point I ever brought up and just disregarded it.

To be honest, I don't give a **** what you think of my "music"

I have never heard any of your "music" so don't talk **** if you can't walk the walk hmmmm?

When I get back hom on Sunday, I'll post a cover of some popular song just for you bud. Sound fair?

Dude, don't waste your time I'm far from interested.

That's my point, I've heard your "music". Your not in the position to tell somebody who's talent is superior to yours that he needs to work on his rhythm. You often post your music looking for positive feedback, however when Tman post you don't give the same pat on the back you're looking for in your music. Instead you point out what you think is his weak point. Tman has posted some great stuff and all you have to offer him is that? Yes, it's best to just keep quiet.

If you spent less time in these forums and more time on that guitar, perhaps you would earn the respect you feel you deserve.

Fred I admire your knowledge of guitar and amps, and I even applaud your passion for music. However, you need to keep it real.

Hey man,

1) This was another good recording. I like the smoothness in your phrasing.

2) Pretty sure I heard a few licks in there where you started with some double-stops. Nice use of double-stops.

3) Great tone on this one. Very vintage-sounding and woody.

I've got nothin' else to add. [thumbup]

Now this is some encouragement Tman can use. [thumbup]

Dude, don't waste your time I'm far from interested.

That's my point, I've heard your "music". Your not in the position to tell somebody who's talent is superior to yours that he needs to work on his rhythm. You often post your music looking for positive feedback, however when Tman post you don't give the same pat on the back you're looking for in your music. Instead you point out what you think is his weak point. Tman has posted some great stuff and all you have to offer him is that? Yes, it's best to just keep quiet.

If you spent less time in these forums and more time on that guitar, perhaps you would earn the respect you feel you deserve.

Fred I admire your knowledge of guitar and amps, and I even applaud your passion for music. However, you need to keep it real.

I have nothing to say to you

Bill i think your overreacting, he just said Tmans rhythm needs to be more tight and he should work on it, thats good advice. He didn't say it sucked or insult him.

You think Fred isnt as good as tman? Well maybe Fred has a good ear for guitar playing?

Archived