Gibson Brands Forums

Recommend me some country

Kiwi

Hey guys.

I've recently gotten into a fair share of country music, such as Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, the occasional Hank Williams song etc. etc. Being rather new to the whole genre, I was wondering if you have any personal favourites you could point me to in order to find some more interesting music [thumbup]. I absolutely loathe the "modern country" genre, you know, the overly processed and compressed guitars with the Nickelback-esque singers and the odd lap steel here and there just to compensate for... heck, what do I know.

I do like some country blended with other general Americana, bluegrass and those sorts of things though, so please do go ahead and give me a tip on that too. The modern country I'd say I like is that similar to Karen Elson's music, but it doesn't really sound modern either.

Thanks, sorry for the wall of text (can't help myself sometimes [biggrin])

Country - I'm pretty big on America [lol]

Ok back to your original request.

I like: Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson - both are good guitar pickers.

I also enjoy Tom T. Hall, Merle Haggard, and George Jones.

Don't discount all modern country - check out Brad Paisley. He is a great guitar player and I love the way his humor comes thru in his music.

How about Zac Brown Band or Jerry Reed... Buck Owens was good. Flatt and Scruggs.... a bit more bluegrass but good music. Miranda Lambert, and of course Reba... Jamey Johnson has some good stuff.

I like Jason Aldean and Rodney Atkins, too.

Some of the above are newer artists, so you may not care for them [thumbup]

Keith Urban and Brad Paisley - I apologize if they fit into what you don't like but the guitar playing is really fantastic.

Other than that check out Chet Atkins, Roy Clark even Glen Campbell for older guitar stuff that is still amazing.

On Youtube...

Check out the late Chris LeDoux - Western Underground music that comes from Kaycee, Wyoming, home of the Johnson County Cattle War. A little rocky sometimes, but Chris noted that even a championship rodeo cowboy - which he was - likes a little rock.

Chris reflects the way we hear a lotta music here in America's cowboy outback. On the other hand, we'll have new stuff, Hank Williams stuff, nearly anything you might imagine.

Then... check out Ian Tyson, again, a lotta stuff on Youtube. After being part of a folk/country duo in the 60s and 70s, in the 80s he reinvented himself with more of a cowboy-country style. Lately it's been acoustic.

"Country" in the US is worse than "rock" for defining a kind of music, even with the same artist doing different material sometimes.

In fact, I had an old immigrant friend who played a lotta old Scandinavian fiddle stuff in local "old time fiddling" contests that mostly were American "folk/country" players.

BTW, a lotta folks here like the Garth Brooks rodeo type stuff, but it's almost impossible to duplicate, like "Beaches of Cheyenne" or "Good Ride, Cowboy" dedicated to Chris LeDoux...

m

Roy Clark, Porter Waggoner, Dolly Parton, Buck Owens...

THen going back a bit further, Flatt and Scruggs, Homer and Jethro, Any Hee Haw clips you can find..

Going back even farther, Bill Monroe, The Original Carter Family with A.P. Carter, Sarah Carter and 'Mother' Maybelle Carter.. that's where it all started. Uncle Dave Macon, Jimmie Rodgers, Sons of the Pioneers......

This is such an expansive list, really like the effort you put into this. Thanks!

I've only gotten through the first couple of posts, and so far I've liked Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard and especially The Highwaymen [thumbup]. I'll keep on listening to the rest.

Hey guys.

I've recently gotten into a fair share of country music, such as Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, the occasional Hank Williams song etc. etc. Being rather new to the whole genre, I was wondering if you have any personal favourites you could point me to in order to find some more interesting music [thumbup]. I absolutely loathe the "modern country" genre, you know, the overly processed and compressed guitars with the Nickelback-esque singers and the odd lap steel here and there just to compensate for... heck, what do I know.

I do like some country blended with other general Americana, bluegrass and those sorts of things though, so please do go ahead and give me a tip on that too. The modern country I'd say I like is that similar to Karen Elson's music, but it doesn't really sound modern either.

Thanks, sorry for the wall of text (can't help myself sometimes [biggrin])

hi dude

i am living in France but can give you some interesting things to explore, i definitely LOVE most of all female country singers, their voice is so strong et pure, my favorite (and damn sexy) is Sara Evans (you should hear Suds in the bucket (live) it's excellent

i like one album of keith urban's former band called "the ranch", this was like a shooting star album, he should go back to the basics instead of serving us this cheesy soup he does today, i like Aaron Watson (favorite album is angels & outlaws), i like montgomery Gentry, Brooks & dunnes and i forgot Gretchen wilson :)

hope that will help

The late Chris Ledoux... then his buddy Garth Brooks that explains a lot.

Then the final one - not here, is "Good Ride, Cowboy." If you understand anything about rodeo, you'll understand.

"Cowboy Up" shows how most "cowboy/rodeo" country is full of metaphor. The road to heaven is a hell of a ride? Chris died far too young. "From business suits to cowboy boots, it hurts when you get thrown."

The second one, btw, is not Chris. It's Garth that explains a bit about rodeo. And... not just rodeo, but perhaps also guitar picking or skiing or motorcycle racing or...

m

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXzYrXWU_j8&feature=related

Roy Clark, Porter Waggoner, Dolly Parton, Buck Owens...

THen going back a bit further, Flatt and Scruggs, Homer and Jethro, Any Hee Haw clips you can find..

Going back even farther, Bill Monroe, The Original Carter Family with A.P. Carter, Sarah Carter and 'Mother' Maybelle Carter.. that's where it all started. Uncle Dave Macon, Jimmie Rodgers, Sons of the Pioneers......

+1.

Archived