Gibson Brands Forums

best gibson for metal

schnarz25

Gibson makes a variety of very cool guitars for metal......They have done a fine job in that area...........so, take your pick....

I played in only one metal band....I used an SG, a double neck, and a $3000.00 Hamer..

Okay... at my inclinations, if not age, I'm not a metal player but...

Frankly the idea of the right guitar for the right style always struck me as kinda odd.

Django started with acoustic to the point it's now almost a religion to have similar-looking and/or sounding guitars, and yet after "the war," he was playing an electric, at least in the US.

It's my observation that a guitar player should be able to be creating his/her music with a guitar he likes to play in almost any style. Willie Nelson does his "country/jazz/western swing" with a classical guitar, for heaven's sake.

Yeah, I know there's an "appearance expectation" in different styles. But... then somebody comes along who breaks the mold, too. In the Hendrix thread, Jimi did just that with "rock." Whether you liked him or not - I didn't - you had to admit that there were different things one might consider in rock lead guitar sounds to explore.

That "appearance expectation" also led me to dump some guitars I probably could sell today and retire fairly comfortably. Okay, that's a slight exaggeration - but not much. And y'know, I don't think anybody in the audiences would have cared, either.

m

Mojo...

I think you nailed it, too, with the comment on your hands.

Mine do other stuff - pretty eclectic, but still... my hands. <grin>

If you're comfortable with the guitar, I'll wager you could do some wild stuff with a jazz box or an A-E and blow out the place playing "metal" if you chose to do so. You're what's important, the rest of the stuff is just to get what's in you out to the listener.

m

I play a bit of metal and the SG Special Faded does me just fine. My amp's not ideal for it (it's really not a great amp--it sounds extremely weak and sterile) but it works pretty well for what I do. If I had the money, of course, I'd have a big, contemporary Marshall, or maybe a 6505 (or, if I could snag one, an earlier 5150)--but, I don't. Still, I think the fallacy of matching guitars to musical styles is a little misleading and unfortunately pervasive. "Fast" Eddie Clarke used Strats in Motorhead, and John 5 uses (modified) Telecasters. I think you can basically use any guitar for metal, if you've got your amp set up right. You could always switch out the pups for hotter ones or ones with a different tonal structure if you don't like the tone through your rig. Still, I think the amp probably means more for the tone than the guitar.

For the sake of argument, though, let's say either an Explorer or a V is the best Gibson for metal. Just because, y'know, they're kinda metal shapes (although they came out way back in the late 50s, and I dunno about you, but I don't consider Albert King or Lonnie Mack metal.)

nice explorer [thumbup]

This is an old photo but I couldn't find another of My gibson M3 Deluxe (far right)

It has a walnut body, floyd rose trem, a 24 fret neck, high out put m3 switching pick ups and it a sheer metal machine. I become a permed haired metal man when this gets into my hands LMAO

l_0bdd02dc2913401c9afcfce29d7104ae.jpg

Archived