Gibson Brands Forums

Got a MacBook Pro

Riffster

i had a macbook pro that was a complete lemon that thing stopped working all together within 1 week that i bought it. at this point my faith was shaken in apple but i got a new one and the internet crashed everytime i would open it. by now i was ready to pull a pete townshend on it but i updated the software and its been working perfect like a gem ever since.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only "issue" I had was connecting my guitar to the computer. I bought a Griffin iMic to be able to do it but I found there was a slight delay between me hitting the string and then hearing it through the speakers. I may have asked this in the past but can't remember - what do you guys use to connect your guitar to Garage Band and how well does it work?

I get this occasionally too. It has happened to me with my studio mics and with my guitar plugged directly into an interface. The answer has always been to quit and relaunch the audio app (GarageBand generally). This has worked for me every time - latency gone.

I get this occasionally too. It has happened to me with my studio mics and with my guitar plugged directly into an interface. The answer has always been to quit and relaunch the audio app (GarageBand generally). This has worked for me every time - latency gone.

good advice: i believe that cycling garageband "resets" something in the way it accesses the hardware. i see this occasionally too.

BTW: Garageband is excellent for tracking, and Logic can open its projects natively... just sayin'. :)

Thanks. I didn't mean to hijack...but it is (somewhat) related to stiff's first post. He'll need to know this stuff later on. [biggrin]

I've tried playing around with a few setting and rebooting but it didn't help. I might give that apogee a try.

Have you checked Apples support community? I'm sure other users have had this problem and posted it there.

I use a Line 6 UX2 for recording, the Line 6 unit is latency free and provides XLR inputs, phantom power for condenser mics, line in inputs and amp/effects modeling software (which I would use for bass mainly).

I have not downloaded the Line 6 software to the Mac yet. Turns out tiling 2 bathrooms is a real b!tch.

The Mac did better last night but I did not browse extensively since I did ot have the time but today is testing time.

No doubt you got a bad computer. I use my two year old MacBook to record with no problems at all. I simply use a 1/4 to mini adapter and plug my guitar into the Mac. I have a bunch of backing tracks that I play along with and record my guitar track to see how I'm advancing. This also lets me mess with all the amp sounds and pedals in garage band. I also use a set of headphones that lets me jam away without upsetting the rest of the house. I love my Mac.

David

I use a Line 6 UX2 for recording, the Line 6 unit is latency free and provides XLR inputs, phantom power for condenser mics, line in inputs and amp/effects modeling software (which I would use for bass mainly).

I have not downloaded the Line 6 software to the Mac yet. Turns out tiling 2 bathrooms is a real b!tch.

The Mac did better last night but I did not browse extensively since I did ot have the time but today is testing time.

At first, Line 6 did a particularly poor job of writing 64 bit drivers for the Snow Leopard OS. You might want to look at their website and read about the strong discontent voiced by Mac users.

From my reading, it was not an Apple problem, it's a Line 6 problem.

They may have fixed that by now, but it kept me away from UX2 last year.

Alright, I sent an e-mail to Apple which will follow by a call tomorrow.

I ran software updates and to my surprise it ran like 15 minutes of updates/installs even though I just updated all software on Saturday during my call with Apple.

The websiste purevolume.com were some members post their clips will not play MP3s, so I decided to go to Revernation to my own account, it won't load. So I went to my now abandoned Soundclick account and played the only MP3 loaded, the MP3 played 37 seconds and it showed it to be the total time of the clip, right next to my PC that shows the clip lasting (and playing) for 1 minute which is correct, this is really weird. So I restarted the Mac and the next time it did play the 1 minute clip. [blink]

It is wireless but my 2 PCs, my work PC and my iPod Touch all work flawlessly with the same connection and even further away from where I have been using the Mac. The Apple support guy had me test the speed of my connection and he said that was not the problem.

Frankly I think the Airport or wireless card in the Mac is the problem.

I went into Soundclick again this morning and the clip shows as a 0:37 seconds again rather than 1 minute, just bizarre.

True, but I rather exchange the computer since there is obviously something wrong with it.

I really like the size, keyboard and built of this laptop, I got he 13" and love the size of it. Definitely look forward to get one that works.

I really like the size, keyboard and built of this laptop, I got he 13" and love the size of it. Definitely look forward to get one that works.

My wife has that machine and loves it. I have the 15". Two inches makes a big difference. :rolleyes:

I own a PC desktop for my personal use, but have a MacBook for school...love the MacBook much more than my PC. Unfortunately, anything by Apple costs a helluva lot more than a PC equivalent.

Yup, but it lasts a helluva lot longer. :)

My macbook is going on 7 years old now...i've NEVER had a PC last close to that.

Yup, but it lasts a helluva lot longer. :)

My macbook is going on 7 years old now...i've NEVER had a PC last close to that.

Yeah, Apple products are where its at. I love Apple. It lets everyone else know that I'm using an Apple [flapper]

Seriously, they make great stuff, and I actually prefer the 13 to the 15 for portability, I take mine everwhere

i had issues with my browsers hanging a lot one time and no one could figure it out

finally got a new router and everything was perfect

you might want to try borrowing a firneds router if you can, or hook up to the net at someone elses house and see what happens

edit to add that i had 4 macs on the same network and only the one gave me trouble - it could still be your router even though your pcs are working ok

Late last year we got a 13" Mac Book Pro and I cannot be happier. Snow Leopard is one bad *** OS. My only complaint is that the Mac Books now only have one analog port. Going to have to buy my own USB device to record. Have been borrowing my friend's Tascam US-122. It is pretty sweet. His is the old model, though. Not sure how the new ones stack up.

I have an appointment with an advisor this Saturday.

I did some tweaking and dowloaded Google Chrome like McMurray suggested and browsing has been normal so far. But then again that was coming and going, I hope it remains like this.

I am liking the size of this Mac more and more, now my old laptop seems like a beast to me.

Late last year we got a 13" Mac Book Pro and I cannot be happier. Snow Leopard is one bad *** OS. My only complaint is that the Mac Books now only have one analog port. Going to have to buy my own USB device to record. Have been borrowing my friend's Tascam US-122. It is pretty sweet. His is the old model, though. Not sure how the new ones stack up.

Apogee [thumbup]

My only complaint is that the Mac Books now only have one analog port.

Pain in the @ss isn't it? Not only that, there's no digital input, only output.

I have no idea why they did away with the other port, it would have probably saved them 5 cents (which i'd gladly pay to have the functionality).

Archived