Gibson Brands Forums

Epi. Jr. Finished

BlueEpiphone

Here are some pics of my repainted and modded Epi. LP Jr. I ruined my previous black and blue pattern paint job by sanding it while I was distracted. My paint projects end up battered looking anyway so I decided to make this a sort of "mechanic's battered guitar. I even included a V-8 emblem to fill up that giant bare area that Juniors have. The gold Levinson 10mm tuners, Seymour/Duncan 59 pup and knobs were obtained from a $50 donor guitar. I added the Gibson nickel pup cover and used pinstripe tape on the headstock. The finish is a sanded down topcoat of copper color Rustoleum which was applied over light coats of dark blue and silver.

The S/D pup is a definite improvement over the original BHS pup. Now it seems to "sing" instead of yell. The sustain is noticeably improved. Could this be due to the tuners? They are easily four times heavier than the originals but more compact and very smooth. I'm happy and it cost very little (if we can assume my time has no value). ThanksLPJrView02.jpgLPJrView01.jpgLPJrView03.jpg

DSC301129.jpgDSC01111.jpgquote name='brianh' timestamp='1295966992' post='845221']

Nice Job BlueEpiphone.

How did you end up with binding on the headstock?

@Brianh: I used gold pinstripe tape.

Thanks for the compliments.

Here are some pics showing the different paint schemes I tried over the last two weeks:DSC01097.jpg

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa418/mikeldy/DSC01111.jpg

DSC301129.jpgDSC011244.jpg

Thanks again for the compliments!

@SketchyEtchy: Thank-you for sending the letter of thanks. Not having an Epiphone sticker will allow me to rationalize buying another Epi to replace my original. As to the question about the LP II: The finish came that way from the factory. Here is a pic:DSCN2253.jpg

Now I must head off to work....

I,too, like the V-8 emblem and the pinstriping - creative!

Dang, a shame about the Tiger Stripe finish, I liked it

the best visually, helped fill in the large "empty" areas

on the body!

I don't try to paint gits in Winter, as I don't have a spray booth

and don't want to inhale paint or get everything in the garage coated

with "spray particles". Where are you painting your git?

I,too, like the V-8 emblem and the pinstriping - creative!

Dang, a shame about the Tiger Stripe finish, I liked it

the best visually, helped fill in the large "empty" areas

on the body!

I don't try to paint gits in Winter, as I don't have a spray booth

and don't want to inhale paint or get everything in the garage coated

with "spray particles". Where are you painting your git?

Hello, animalfarm...

The weather here in Southern California is mild, as usual. I'd prefer to paint indoors but I don't have a safe area to do so. I paint outside these days and that means more dust and less paint actually reaching the project due to breezes. I appreciate the painting advice and I really don't get the results I would like because I'm always anticipating a finished look and start to neglect "small" details like drying times and chemical incompatabilities. I know enough to do a good job but I need to discipline myself to stay with the working plan and be PATIENT. You can see I was able to do five different finishes in less than two weeks because I don't always observe the proper curing times. I have noticed that some of these newer piss-can formulas have very short cure times. The Krylon I used last week seemed to stop "gassing" within two days. The curing odors were nearly imperceptable the third day. It may be my imagination, but these newer spray paint formulations seem to be better in every way except finish hardness. It seems like the old school exra-toxic stuff dried much harder. Do you agree? By the way, very nice workmanship on that white git finish! Thanks for the DIY section! Say hi to the "hairdo".

Remember this: "Submariners will accept nothing less than Sub-standard"

Mike

Thanks again for the compliments!

@SketchyEtchy: Thank-you for sending the letter of thanks. Not having an Epiphone sticker will allow me to rationalize buying another Epi to replace my original. As to the question about the LP II: The finish came that way from the factory. Here is a pic:DSCN2253.jpg

Now I must head off to work....

No probs. Didnt feel write writing a reply on email. Love that Finish! Sticker went straight on my 335 case.

Archived