Gibson Brands Forums

So I'm practicing...

Silenced Fred

And I have the 50 watt amp on about 4 on the volume knob, and I'm thinking, 'how the **** do people say they gig with 5 watt amps?'

I have not played too many 5 watt amps, but I'm not thinking it would have the same feeling you know?

Has anyone gigged with a 5 watt amp? with drums, and a bass, etc?

A little math is involved, as is the nature of the human ear...

The minimum increase/decrease in volume that the average human ear can perceive is generally

3 decibels. To achieve a 3 decibel boost in volume you have to double the output of the amplifier.

Thus a 50 watt amp is only barely louder than a 25 watt amp - not twice as loud. Make sense?

In your situation (playing your 50 watt amp on 4) let's assume you are playing at 20 watts, though

that is pretty loud. I bet you don't want to be standing in front of my Deluxe Reverb (22 watts) on

10. I sure as hell don't! But I digress... back to your estimated 20 watts of playing volume...

The minimum decrease you'd be able to perceive would require cutting that power in half to 10 watts.

The next minimum perceptible decrease would drop it in half again to 5 watts. Thus the 5 watt amp

(admittedly dimed) is not much quieter than your 50 watt amp on 4. Make sense?

Another approach... turn you amp down from 4 - just a little bit.. just until your ear can perceive

the difference. If you were playing at 20 watts, now it's 10 watts. Now do the same thing again - just

so you can barely hear the drop in volume. That's 5 watts.

As to the rest of your question, I have gigged a 5 watt amp. I have also gigged 12 watt amps and 15

watt amps and 20 watt amps and 50 watt amps and 100 watt amps and even a 160 watt amp. All have

worked in the given setting. The bigger amps have more "girth". The smaller ones have a more interesting

voice sometimes. My favorite lately... more than one small amp in stereo. Two Fender Princetons can make a

joyful noise!

You didn't actually read my post did you?

He likes it loud, so loud he can't hear what you typed.

But seriously, thanks for the refresher I had read that before somewhere.

My Mesa 5:25 is a perfect example the 5 watt setting is one thing and 25 is another but is 25 watts 5 times louder then 5 watts? not so much no.

In the olden days the Bandmaster - I think it's around 30, isn't it? And Deluxe Reverb put out plenty of "loud" for the time and venues. We had no complaints we weren't loud enough in a big baseketball arena.

I think to go beyond that sound level you'd likely have to get into really huge stuff.

On the other hand... When I was around 30 I got hit with the "power" bug and got that big 120-watt tube jobbie. Odd thing now is that I have no problems with the little 30-watt SS acoustic amp. And I can actually carry it without concerns about damaging my elderly back. <chuckle> Some 30+ years ago I didn't worry about such stuff although in retrospect the wheels on the thing were definitely a selling point.

m

You didn't actually read my post did you?

Sorry, I actually did. The 5 watt wouldn't be much quieter than what I was playing at, but mainly what I was talking about was the "balls" from a higher watt amp, if that makes sense.

My sense of "loud" comes from the feeling that I get, not the noise I hear. When I can feel the sound hitting my heart, that's loud. To me.

I seriously apologize, I came off like a ****** in my response. That actually makes a ton of sense.

And I stand to the side of my amp, are you kidding me? If I was standing in front of it, I wouldn't be able to hear today! [flapper]

for a while i had a hot rod deluxe, and at 40W it was way too loud for my needs (my basement). never really pushed the thing at all (although it did sound really good clean)

i built a Marshall 18W Lite IIb amp, and it too is very loud. the problem is that the amp really starts to sing when the power tubes are driven, so i need to look at some form of attenuation.

the Marshall Class 5 can be dimed almost all the time: it is still extremely loud for my purposes, but it feels good and it loads of fun.

you might find that with the right set of speakers, 5W could be ample. The class 5 can drive a 4x12: that could be interesting. :)

Don

I am with FuzzyFred on needing to feel it. I like it loud too; not Marshall double stack loud, but I need to feel the sound. Nothing wrong with small, low wattage amps. My issue is head room. I want loud cleans and to be able to drive the amp with an OD pedal and still get feedback with the dirt knob all the way down on my OD pedal. You'll never get there with a 5 watter. The thing would be saturated by the time I reached my desired volume. Great for some. Not great for me.

I am with FuzzyFred on needing to feel it. I like it loud too; not Marshall double stack loud, but I need to feel the sound. Nothing wrong with small, low wattage amps. My issue is head room. I want loud cleans and to be able to drive the amp with an OD pedal and still get feedback with the dirt knob all the way down on my OD pedal. You'll never get there with a 5 watter. The thing would be saturated by the time I reached my desired volume. Great for some. Not great for me.

I need a Twin Reverb [biggrin]

Fred, are you playing a 50w solid state amp?

5w tube is much louder than 5w solid state.

No, its tube. Gosh, don't you think I would know the difference? Just kidding, yeah, its all tubey goodness. 2 power tubes, and 8 preamp, just had them all changed [blink]

He's got a Sunn with 2 6L6s if I recall correctly from his recent tubes needed type thread.

Yes sir, right on the money

How are the new tubes treating you? What did you old man's friend put in her?

Mullard's. Tubes sound fine. I'm not much of an aficionado for tubes, never understood how people all mix and match and I don't spend enough time (a huge downfall of mine) to just mess with stuff and check all the differences. If it works, and sounds good, I'm good [thumbup]

Sorry, I actually did. The 5 watt wouldn't be much quieter than what I was playing at, but mainly what I was talking about was the "balls" from a higher watt amp, if that makes sense.

My sense of "loud" comes from the feeling that I get, not the noise I hear. When I can feel the sound hitting my heart, that's loud. To me.

I seriously apologize, I came off like a ****** in my response. That actually makes a ton of sense.

And I stand to the side of my amp, are you kidding me? If I was standing in front of it, I wouldn't be able to hear today! [flapper]

I am going with Nathan here,

I don't "Need" 135 watts, but the fact is in a three piece I need to move air, and the 135 does just that.

I base my tone 75 % off my pedal board, also the way my board loop is set up, My GE7 EQ is part of the distortion loop, to curve my tone, AND as a Attenuator of sorts, Wattage is like horsepower, just 'cause you have it doesn't mean you need to use it.

It's just nice knowing it is there.

Archived