Gibson Brands Forums

A Classic Rocker with a Custom Makeover ‘70s Inspired Les Paul Custom Blackback

sparky scott 29

I'm sure that is a very nice guitar, but I never really liked that particular yellow-white finish/color. Maybe if I played it I might change my mind but I like "natural" or stained various colors finishes where the underlying wood shows through, I guess thats just me.

I wonder how many people want a pink custom with a black backside, personally I'd rather see an amber flame custom with Gibby pups.

Hi James,

Thanks for your post and participation in the forum.

The LP Custom Blackback is Antique Ivory. I don't think that the image on the computer accurately reflects it's true color. It's an off-white/yellow/ivory color when you see it in person.

Thanks,

Jim Epi

That's a pretty sweet axe for sure. In fact, I ran across some old catalogs online a few days ago

and I believe I saw a Gibson Custom that resembles that one!

Vintage Guitar Catalogs

Hey Gearhead,

I love that site you posted with the vintage equipment in it...smiley-happy088.gif

Loved it, I had to bookmark it...

Thanx....

Yeah, that's a cool site! I'm always looking for things like that. I try to keep a good inventory of information.

Never know when you might run across a deal at a yard sale and need to verify exactly what it is!

If you have any others you have that you think I might be interested in,

Shoot them my way, I would appraciate it very much...

Man ... I gotta admit that I really like those two-tone, Filtertron-ish looking pickups on that thing! Very sweet ...

I've been seriously considering replacing the faded pups on my Epi Black Beauty 3 with these Dream 180's from Guitar Fetish ... not sure if I like the black or gold pearl better. What do you guys think?

GoldwithGold.jpgGoldwithblkpearl.jpg

Jim

Man ... I gotta admit that I really like those two-tone, Filtertron-ish looking pickups on that thing! Very sweet ...

I've been seriously considering replacing the faded pups on my Epi Black Beauty 3 with these Dream 180's from Guitar Fetish ... not sure if I like the black or gold pearl better. What do you guys think?

I really like the black pearl pup, looks like a oil on water type pattern, reminds me of tye dyed t-shirts, great look, far more definition in the pattern than the gold pearl.

Hi James,

Thanks for your post and participation in the forum.

The LP Custom Blackback is Antique Ivory. I don't think that the image on the computer accurately reflects it's true color. It's an off-white/yellow/ivory color when you see it in person.

Thanks,

Jim Epi

Jim Epi, you're the best, where else do you get participation from the manufacturer, thanks for chiming in on this.

I know it's not pink, just riding you guys at Epi, but still I think an amber or root beer custom would sell way better.

I really like the bound headstock etc you find on the custom and can't seem to buy another LP standard(already have a couple of standard plus tops) unless since I bought a black custom, which btw is an absolutely killer guitar.

Thanks again for dropping by.

Wow Jim,

Those black are really sweet!!

Have you ever played with those exact kind before, and if so,

How do they sound??

They have a killer look.shades.gif.

I think they'll look great on that Black Beauty 3 too, Scott.

I've never played 'em personally, but the YouTube vids I've seen on them sound very nice: fat and crunchy but with a lot of spank to 'em. GFS was certainly going for a "Filtertron" vibe with these. They should be quite an improvement over the pups that came with this guitar ... not to mention WAY more attractive than what is on there now (I don't know what the previous owner used to clean the metal parts on this axe, but it ate the gold off in a most unpleasant way). I got her VERY cheap though ... so no complaints!

Of course, with this guitar it's the cost of an additional neck pup, but it should be pretty cool once it's done ...

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed this guitar online and the only thing keeping me from buying it is I want to hear it at either a dealer or a sound review from someone on the forum.Personally I really would dig it more if it did have a maple fretboard with the white block markers like Zak's camo LP.I have bought a few guitars on looks alone and I was not very fond of a few of their sounds and sold them,I really hope this one sounds good.I had a 1995 Gibson studio LP in white with gold hardware and the stock pickups and to this day (after selling it)it would still be my favorite sounding,feeling guitar.At the moment I own a Epi limited edition SG in white with the Zak EMG's 85 & 81 and it kicks butt,for some reason I really dig white guitars.I would love a white Gibson custom like the one Lindsey Buckingham,or Randy Rhodes had.

Anyways I really dig the way the Epiphone Ltd Ed 1970's Inspired Les Paul Custom Blackback Outfit looks,please if anyone plays one do a review of it.

Archived