Gibson Brands Forums

1977 Ibanez LP Standard Super 70s

mac75

Just picked up this Ibanez Les Paul copy from 1977. It has a set neck and is one heavy sucker. It has got to be the closest thing to a real Les Paul that I have come across. The pickups sound great. I picked it up for 400.00.IMG_1475.jpg[/img]

I had read that the Super 70s pickups are considered to be very good. I also read that these post-lawsuit set neck LPs were actually better than the older bolt-on neck types. I can tell you it is built like a tank, very heavy. Anyone know if they used mahogany bodies with maple tops like the Gibsons? Sure looks and feels like it.

I really think if Ibanez hadn't showed the world that people would buy reissues when might never have gotten them from Gibson Fender and others.

You mean Hoshino....

Ibanez is a trademark of Hoshino Japan.

Hoshino ordered their guitars mainly at the Fuji Gen factory Japan and the Matsumoku factory Japan.

This is indeed a 1977 Ibanez model, the last year you could by an Ibanez LP copy (codename: model 2360)

This one is made at the Fuji Gen Factory.

Humbuckers should be the Maxon Super 70 (Maxon produced humbuckers for Fuji Gen, Tokai etc.)

Body is mahogany and it has a maple top.

Enjoy it, these guitars are of a very good quality [thumbup]

Great, thanks for the info. it actually plays and sounds great.

I know, I have had several Ibanez LP guitars.

One tip: on this old Japanese guitars, the frets are not that hard, don't use Ernie Balls, Elixer strings, use D'adario's nickel wounded strings (0.10-0.46), it wil make the frets last longer.

You mean Hoshino....

Ibanez is a trademark of Hoshino Japan.

Hoshino ordered their guitars mainly at the Fuji Gen factory Japan and the Matsumoku factory Japan.

This is indeed a 1977 Ibanez model, the last year you could by an Ibanez LP copy (codename: model 2360)

This one is made at the Fuji Gen Factory.

Humbuckers should be the Maxon Super 70 (Maxon produced humbuckers for Fuji Gen, Tokai etc.)

Body is mahogany and it has a maple top.

Enjoy it, these guitars are of a very good quality [thumbup]

Actually I meant Ibanez...

Yes... a Super 70 comes with a pair of "Super 70" pickups. They should say so on the back like these do.

Super70.jpg

I read that the Super 70s were one of Ibanez's better pickups. They seem to have good volume and tone, neck pickup does have a bit of mud quality though. Obviously, not as good as Gibson's but they still get a good overdrive sound when pushed.

I read that the Super 70s were one of Ibanez's better pickups. They seem to have good volume and tone, neck pickup does have a bit of mud quality though. Obviously, not as good as Gibson's but they still get a good overdrive sound when pushed.

Tone is subjective so it can't be said that the Gibson has to be better then the Ibanez. The Super 70 is a great pickup.

Actually I meant Ibanez...

Yes... a Super 70 comes with a pair of "Super 70" pickups. They should say so on the back like these do.

Super70.jpg

So your wrong... Ibanez is just a trademark, thank Hoshino Corp. for the guitars.

And thank the Rokkomann Corp. for the Rokkomann, Maya and Elmaya guitars [rolleyes]

at TS:

its all about taste, Super 70 humbuckers have a brighter sound (more mids en high) then the normal Gibson 490R/498T and PAF 57 humbuckers.

So your wrong... Ibanez is just a trademark, thank Hoshino Corp. for the guitars.

And thank the Rokkomann Corp. for the Rokkomann, Maya and Elmaya guitars [rolleyes]

at TS:

its all about taste, Super 70 humbuckers have a brighter sound (more mids en high) then the normal Gibson 490R/498T and PAF 57 humbuckers.

I think most literate folks would know that when I said Ibanez guitars I meant Ibanez guitars. While we are busy nitpicking, your use of the words "your" and "its" are wrong. You're also using commas where you should have used periods. Most folks probably figured out what you meant though. :rolleyes:

I think most literate folks would know that when I said Ibanez guitars I meant Ibanez guitars. While we are busy nitpicking, your use of the words "your" and "its" are wrong. You're also using commas where you should have used periods. Most folks probably figured out what you meant though. :rolleyes:

Dutch grammar is a bit different from English and American grammar(much more complicated also). [flapper]

By the way, I meant that you were wrong [flapper]

@ TS, on the European market an Ibanez LP, with set neck are sold for about 750,00 dollars, i do not know what it's worth on the US market.

It's meant... not ment.... but I know what you meant. :blink:

Ja, ik heb het nu wel begrepen [thumbup] Ik ben nu eenmaal Nederlander, dus ik ben de Engels/Amerikaanse taal niet zo machtig zoals jij [rolleyes]

En nee in deze post staan geen lelijke woorden.

Happy translating and try to post a reply in Dutch [thumbup]

Archived