Gibson Brands Forums

Z...

Tim Plains

Should have made the room wider...[crying]

Very nice sounding cabinet. Huge sounding, actually! I'm also going to get a Dr Z head eventually but I don't know which one to get. I roughly know what I want but they have way too many models to choose from and unfortunately, my local dealer gets maybe five Z heads per year. I might just take my chances and order one from a US dealer.

IMG_3440.jpg

IMG_3380.jpg

Off subject.... But if I am not mistaken that is Billy Gibbons in your avatar??? If so he just took delivery of his Mojave AmpWorks Dirty Boy. I purchased the same exact set-up as Mr Gibbons, with the upgraded tubes and custom cabinet and other pedal features....

I know you're a tone connoisseur, so you may want to take a looksy at thier stuff [thumbup]

I bet those Celestion Blues will sound sick with the new 20 watt Marshall head. [thumbup]

Do they ever!

I think you were right in another thread when you wrote I should start selling a few amps. I think the Egnater head and either the AC4 or BH might go. I've got too many, I'm getting two more heads, something's got to give...

Off subject.... But if I am not mistaken that is Billy Gibbons in your avatar??? If so he just took delivery of his Mojave AmpWorks Dirty Boy. I purchased the same exact set-up as Mr Gibbons, with the upgraded tubes and custom cabinet and other pedal features....

I know you're a tone connoisseur, so you may want to take a looksy at thier stuff [thumbup]

It is Billy since he's holding my guitar.

I'm sure they're great amps but I doubt I'll find any place up here that has them. Besides, I think I have enough amps; don't you agree? [lol]

Tim - which PRS head is that off to the side?

Sweet 16. More trebly than compared to the norm but it sounds great to me.

Do they ever!

I think you were right in another thread when you wrote I should start selling a few amps. I think the Egnater head and either the AC4 or BH might go. I've got too many, I'm getting two more heads, something's got to give...

Hey now, I didn't say you "should"... I just said you might as well because I knew you'd be playing that Marshall

more than all the rest! [biggrin] I knew because I did a bit of house cleaning when my 18 watt Marshall arrived.

Looks nice Timmy, you know what? the perfect head for that one was here a couple of months ago, the guy who bought it ordered 2 of my 1x12 cabs, in the same tolex but with different front. The head sounded great through Vintage 30s as it did through red fangs (a sound like blue alnicos). It was a Carmen Gia if I remember correctly, I'm sure I have some pics around, the thing sounded great, lots of clean headroom for the wattage and then some really nice power amp breakup.

good buy man. good stuff all the way around. you know what is really cool about that? you could do shrink wrap on the speaker leads and be able to disconnect one speaker to have another option, (the shrink wrap of corse is to prevent the leads from touching anything while it is unplugged). also, when it is time to try different speakers, you have a QUALITY cab to put them in easily, and with 2 twelves to boot. not that you didn't score great speakers in the cab. which amp for the cab? try just about ANYTHING.

good, good, investment there. gratz.

TG, a Carmen Gia is one I'd consider. I want one somewhere between 18 - 30 watts and they have 7 or 8 heads in that range. Too many to choose.

stein, good suggestion but I don't have the cranial capacity to do something like that. [lol]

Funny you mention upgrading the speakers. As I had said in my first post, my local store doesn't get much Z product. I was actually thinking of trying (by trying, I mean ordering) a new cab with Celestion Gold speakers. I haven't heard gold speakers in person but I'm wondering if they're worth the up charge. These blues are awesome, don't get me wrong, but I have the opportunity to do so during the 30 day return period.

Any one here have experience with both Celestion Blue and Gold speakers?

TG, a Carmen Gia is one I'd consider. I want one somewhere between 18 - 30 watts and they have 7 or 8 heads in that range. Too many to choose.

stein, good suggestion but I don't have the cranial capacity to do something like that. [lol]

Funny you mention upgrading the speakers. As I had said in my first post, my local store doesn't get much Z product. I was actually thinking of trying (by trying, I mean ordering) a new cab with Celestion Gold speakers. I haven't heard gold speakers in person but I'm wondering if they're worth the up charge. These blues are awesome, don't get me wrong, but I have the opportunity to do so during the 30 day return period.

Any one here have experience with both Celestion Blue and Gold speakers?

cranial capacity? it's easy, especailly with that cab. nothing says you have to, tho, just if you found the need, you could. i would'nt think you had a need to change speakers untill you had an amp tho, mating a particular speaker to a particular amp is key. also, the amount of speakers, too. you might find an amp that likes running one twelve as oppsed to two, or an amp that likes options depending on volume lvl. also, there are some that like to run two different speakers at once. see what i mean? it isn't like you have something there you have to upgrade, the cab and speakers are top notch, you just won't outgrow it when the need arises to make an alteration in the future to match a certain amp.

i have a vicky 35 watt with two twelves and four el84's, and i pull out 2 tubes and unplug one speaker for 18 watts. works great. when things get to where i need the 35 watts, there i am. (or more common sinse i run actual vintage jensons, when one blows..lol)

Archived