Gibson Brands Forums

Does string gauge affect tone?

EvanPC

But for now, I love my 9-42s for fingerpicking just about anything on steel strings from Bach to cowboy to a lot of fat-chord standards in what I tend to call a combination of piano bar and elevator music - although I used to bang out rock and hard country.

Sorry, I keep thinking of flatpick playing. I am not much of a fingerpicker, but I would imagine you could milk a lot more different tones with your hand than just a pick. 9s make me think of the years I spent breaking destroying strings with my ham handed playing; not unlike a bull in a china shop.

Doesn't Billy Gibbons play super light gauges and ZZtop got a pretty heavy guitar tone so I don't know?mellow.gif

That guy's tone is so tube saturated it does not matter. To my ears he always sounds like a no-master-volume, 5watt tube amp turned up all the way.

Doesn't Billy Gibbons play super light gauges and ZZtop got a pretty heavy guitar tone so I don't know?mellow.gif

Gibbon uses eights.......He talks about tone a lot.........He has tone..

I use tens on Strats, nines and tens on LPs, and nines on most my others......Tens on my slide guitars.....

Does gauge affect tone ? Yes................

As for light strings on acoustics...

They'll sound so different to your ear at first; you'll likely wanna cut 'em off immediately with a side cutter.

But...

If you light-finger 'em, and realize you're hearing the guitar from above 'stedda what somebody else might be hearing... play appropriately... it's a pretty nice, rather than "cheap guitar" sound. On an A-E you can mess with eq a bit, too...

Again, style of pickin' will make a huge difference.

On electric... Even I have to be a bit more careful on the old solidbody with the 8-38 to keep from pulling on the strings. Gotta get the fingers going more straight downward to fret 'em. It's easier to bend way far outa tune when you don't want to do so. But... as I've said, that guitar has worn the same size "clothes" for getting increasingly close to 40 years and she's sung blues, jazz, rock and country...

m

Fender guitars are factory delivered with 10s.

The longer scale results in higher tension than found on most Gibsons.

That siad, I prefer 9's on the Gibsons and 10s on the Fenders.

You sure about that? Could have sworn it was 9's.

Strats come with 9's

Teles with 10's

My American Standard Strat came with 9s.

Of course, this was 1993....

Same for my Ash Tele, I believe....

I coulda sworn it came from the factory wearing 9s - in 2004.

I have no idea what the norm is now, or what changes have been made over the years.

Never paid much attention, I pretty much put 10s on everything I buy outta habit.

Set 'em up for it as soon as I buy 'em and never look back.

To me, having the same string gauge on different guitars reveals more of their relative character.

I know some older guys (who can seriously rock n roll) who usually use 9s.

They know what guitars, amps, effects and techniques work for them - and it WORKS.

I know some younger guys who do the macho 12 or 13 thing.

A few of them sound decent, most do not.

Mainly because they've never played without effects and they have what I call "digital" tone.

I've always had 12s on acoustics because I like the fullness (or loudness) of the tone.

Stiff fingering though...

My American Standard Strat came with 9s.

Of course, this was 1993....

Same for my Ash Tele, I believe....

I coulda sworn it came from the factory wearing 9s - in 2004.

I have no idea what the norm is now, or what changes have been made over the years.

Never paid much attention, I pretty much put 10s on everything I buy outta habit.

Set 'em up for it as soon as I buy 'em and never look back.

To me, having the same string gauge on different guitars reveals more of their relative character.

I know some older guys (who can seriously rock n roll) who usually use 9s.

They know what guitars, amps, effects and techniques work for them - and it WORKS.

I know some younger guys who do the macho 12 or 13 thing.

A few of them sound decent, most do not.

Mainly because they've never played without effects and they have what I call "digital" tone.

I've always had 12s on acoustics because I like the fullness (or loudness) of the tone.

Stiff fingering though...

While they tend to put 9's on Strats and 10's on Teles, they also use whatever they have an overstock of. If fender has too many 9' this quarter they string everything with 9's.

It cracks me up when kids put 13's on on their guitar because their favorite did. "SRV used 13's so I will". [rolleyes]

First off, SRV may have used 13's a few times, but he typically used 12's tuned down to E flat, which feel like 11's tuned to standard 440. So he's really just using the equivalent of 11's. Add to that his unusually large hands and muscular fingers, you have SRV playing 12's with ease.

Archived