Gibson Brands Forums

The smell of nitro...

DB Cooper

I freakin' love the smell of my SG...every time I open up the case (I just did) I get this aroma. It's so sweet! How long will it last?

Mine's about three years old and it still has that aroma. I know where your coming from, it's a great smell!

All I ever smelled was the case.

With my EDS-1275 it was DEADLY - had to leave it open in the garage a few days to air out.

My Washburn Rover case had a "deadly, made in China to poison Americans" kind of smell to it. I cannot imagine working conditions in that factory. I've had to air that one out for a long time.

But this SG, oh my! Now this is a sweet-smelling axe!

Nitrocellulose is mostly odorless.

i work with/spray it 5 days a week for the last 17 years and i can tell you now that it is far from odourless at first...i also spray pre-cat which is faster drying.

the odour that you get when you open the case are the vapours of the lacquar that build up inside the case and "settle" in the fabric of the case lining, if you actually hold the guitar body to your nose and sniff up you will notice that the smell is no where near as strong as when you first open the case...in fact you may not smell anything on the guitar at all especialy after it's been out the case a few minutes...

after spraying dining tables, chairs, coffee tables, corner cabinets, bookcases, tv cabinets for 17 yrs i can guarentee that after two days MAX there is no odour from the cellulose lacquar...how would people live with the smell if there was? think about it B)

after spraying dining tables, chairs, coffee tables, corner cabinets, bookcases, tv cabinets for 17 yrs i can guarentee that after two days MAX there is no odour from the cellulose lacquar...how would people live with the smell if there was? think about it B)

Whatever...my guitar smells good. [flapper]

Archived