Gibson Brands Forums

mindbender fuzz project

dbreslauer

tonight I finished building my first mindbender fuzz: a variant of the Sola Sound ToneBender as found on FuzzCentral.

FuzzCentral ToneBender Page

i documented my build with pics, here it is!

i like to draw my PCBs rather than try to transfer with films, etc. i do a light pencil sketch first, then trace with a sharpie. once drawn to the size i want, i trim down to size and etch it.

2_cut_board.jpg

soaking in the etchant, lightly agitated by shaking until all excess copper is gone.

3_etching.jpg

cleaned up, marked the pads for drilling the holes.

5_marked_pads.jpg

drilling complete

7_drilled.jpg

populating the board with parts.

8_populated.jpg

attached pots

10_pots.jpg

next time i use a full size box instead of the small one... VERY tight fit!

11_fit_in.jpg

it did fit though, with only one gaffe: i had to relocate the jacks to make enough room for the PCB.

12_closing_up.jpg

done! complete with a blue LED.

14_blue_led.jpg

i still need to fine tune a bit and then mount the DC in jack, and pick some paint. :)

i did some preliminary testing, and it is a very interesting fuzz: i will make some sound clips tomorrow when i can crank the amp up.

enjoy!

Don

thanks all!

i got the DC jack attached

15_dcjack.jpg

and dialed in the collector voltage on Q3

16_q3_vdc.jpg

playing this through my 5F2A amp, and it is wild! really interesting overtones, very controllable attack.

i am recording some samples right now.

Don

That's great, I started a pedal a while back and never completed it, my problem is the PCB.

I did not even know you can make your own based on the exact circuit.

making circuit boards is actually kinda fun. the materials are very cheap and readily available too. you just draw whatever you want to stay with a sharpie marker. :)

i'm priming and painting tonight. i used bondo to fill in the holes from the relocated jacks.

painted the pedal today: decided on a "60's" feel blend from glossy blue to glossy green. i used cheapo rustoleum stray paint, on top of a few coats of white primer.

17_paint.jpg

18_paint.jpg

i filled in the errant jack holes with bondo, and it came out ok.. you can still see where the holes were, but as this is my pedal i don't care so much.

gonna label the pots and jacks, etc. with a silver sharpie before the clear goes on.

-Don

making circuit boards is actually kinda fun. the materials are very cheap and readily available too. you just draw whatever you want to stay with a sharpie marker. :)

i'm priming and painting tonight. i used bondo to fill in the holes from the relocated jacks.

Seriously?That's it? just trace it with a sharpie?

Wow...

Seriously?That's it? just trace it with a sharpie?

Wow...

i know, right? if you use an ultra-fine one, you can get very detailed. it's only the really tight traces that get tricky... or very populated boards where components are very close together. you also want to make sure your pads are proportionate, so that the components fit. i pay especially close attention to the socket rows, because they don't bend so well. :)

here's my personal attempt at labeling. i may trace the border carefully with black to make it pop, but i kinda like it.

19_labels.jpg

here's a really quick clip i just made of the effect: i tried to get some chords, some runs, some straight picking, some hammer-ons, some vibrato... everything to give a feel for this thing.

http://homepage.mac.com/dbreslauer/mindbender/mindbender.mp3

mindbender sample

the clean is just my little princeton clone amp, and i used my new LP studio 60's tribute which showed up today... :)

its sharper with the P90s: i think it's way too muddy with humbuckers. i'm gonna have to experiment with it to see what i can tweak to make it crisper.

if you can listen past my bad playing, you can hear where it "swells" on held notes, and the attack control has a pretty decent effect. since recording this clip, i'm finding that rolling back the level a bit helps a bit with clarity too.

what do ya think?

Don

Archived