Gibson Brands Forums

Got another guitar today (not an Epiphone)

crust

From Brad's Page of Steel (a great resource for lap steel guitars)

Epiphone started making electric steel guitars in 1936. The models offered included:

Electar Hawaiian

Model M

Rocco

Zephyr

Century

Coronet

Console

Varichord

Kent

Epiphone stopped making steel guitars around 1958.

Eric's Comments: Epiphone made some cool steels but they didn't sound good with period amps and didn't sell well (there are no production numbers but this is based on availability in the vintage market). Actually they aren't bad sounding steels if you can turn up the treble on your amp, and some are fairly fancy. I don't see many from beyond mid-1950.

Looks like fun! [thumbup]

@crust: are you still awaiting the arrival of an Epiphone LP Special II (Plus Top) in Blueburst? I still want to see a Blueburst from Guitar Center. Even a good photo would suffice. Enjoy the lap steel.

Now I'm reminded of the Epiphone Es-137 in Blue. I think I saw them around 1999 or 2000 and priced well within reach (my reach). About $400 US dollars or was I imagining this? I would definitely buy one of those if I happened upon one again.

I still want to see a Blueburst from Guitar Center. Even a good photo would suffice.

Are you talking about that falme top Special from last fall? This isn't exactly a great picture, but it was taken with my phone in the back hallway at Guitar Center as we were getting ready for "Black Friday" weekend:

IMG_0021.jpg

I remember at the time we were all talking about how it was more of a "purple-burst".

Congrats on the Lap Steel ... what brand is it ... how much?

Jim

@crust: are you still awaiting the arrival of an Epiphone LP Special II (Plus Top) in Blueburst? I still want to see a Blueburst from Guitar Center. Even a good photo would suffice. Enjoy the lap steel.

Now I'm reminded of the Epiphone Es-137 in Blue. I think I saw them around 1999 or 2000 and priced well within reach (my reach). About $400 US dollars or was I imagining this? I would definitely buy one of those if I happened upon one again.

Still waiting. Soon I hope. I usually don't talk of my private life, but after 40 years, kids grown and gone, me and the old lady (happily) spit. I had to liquidate most of my instruments when we finalized. Nothing that can't be replaced (in time, like a wife .. LOL) So I'm slowly building up my small collection of instruments that I enjoyed in the past. I expect the LP special plus top soon. I'm hoping I'll get the resonator even sooner. I will post both when they arrive (soon I hope). There are a couple guitars I no longer have (like a telecaster)that I had in the past and enjoyed playing, that I am contemplating re-aquireing. I love my Epiphone's and never really had a bad one. Ya, I'd like a $4000.00 Giibson, maybe some day, but I enjoy the Epiphone guitars I own (and have owned in the past), that I don't think I will ever get a Gibson, maybe, but not too soon. What can I say, I love Epiphone guitars.

Well Epiphone, what's stopping you from making a lap steel or 3 again ? I'd like one with 4 fretboards/necks. Now that would be cool.

No market, in all honesty have you ever met a beginner lap steel player around the age of 30 and below?

Theres not many that would want a new lap steel, sure id take one but im crazy.

Got to play the NEW LP 60's today it was a Vintage Sunburst slim neck version (The V3)

It played really nicely it still felt like a normal plus top tho

The RRP was £650! ($1,000!)

£250 seems alot for some Gibson Burstbucker Pickups, switchcraft & case... (At least like my LPC you could sell the parts when upgrading)

What do you guys think?

Got to play the NEW LP 60's today it was a Vintage Sunburst slim neck version (The V3)

£250 seems alot for some Gibson Burstbucker Pickups, switchcraft & case... (At least like my LPC you could sell the parts when upgrading)

What do you guys think?

I think you should have clicked on Start New Topic.

What do you guys think?

I'd play thatb until my fingers fell off, then I'd glue them back on until my fingers fell off, then I'd glue them back on....

Well Epiphone, what's stopping you from making a lap steel or 3 again ? I'd like one with 4 fretboards/necks. Now that would be cool.

Sounds about like "Oh honey, I only need like, 3 or 12 guitars!" :blink: (That's my excuse anyway........I don't have 12 YET!)

So how does that lap steel play? I've never played one myself. But hey, maybe a Bigsby on it might make me want one!

MF didn't put the "tone bar" in the box. The bill of lading/ receipt that was in the box showed two items (which I ordered together), the guitar and the tone bar. Except, there was no tone bar, anywhere in the box, gig bag, nothing. I sent an e-mail to the MF sales tech. Hopefully all will go well.

It's pretty fun, my youngest son hates it, says it sounds like a dying cat.. LOL. I need a tone bar. The "regular" chrome slide doesn't cut it. LOL [sad][laugh][biggrin]

That clip of "Chickenfoot" doin that intro reminded me of the lap steel player that Jackson Browne had playing for him when I saw them back in '80 in Ohio.

That guy played the HELL out of it! I think he sounded better and jammed harder than most of the guitar players I've seen over the years.

Have you tried the intro to bad motor scooter yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0wZcsllDmA

Heres the Chickenfoot edit [thumbup]

(Satch is one of my idols [flapper] )

They should call the intro "Dead Cats" lololol

I can dig it JPJ is one of mine (Saw him perform a few times) Remember,I'm 57 y/o. If they come to Boston, I'll probably get tickets, take my kids, their wifes. Kids like Sammy and Satch.

I wonder how he has that thing tuned ? Doesn't sound like C6

I saw this in the Musicians Friend catalog and figured "why not ? ". I never have had or played one. It's fun. I need a tone bar. I've never seen an Epiphone lap steel. I wonder if Epiphone ever made any ?

Lesson time. [smile] :mellow:

lapsteel002.jpg

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?q=hi&songID=10326881

Absolutely. The Epiphone Electar lap steels were very popular.

EPIPHONEELECTAR8STRING.jpg

Archived