Gibson Brands Forums

Off topic

tng6664

In a way it has nothing to do with guitars,,depending on how you wanna look at it,,but,has anyone been to graceland lately,,first time or several times?? Anywhooo,the place is completely pititful,,disgusting,nasty,sickening. it's not about whether you liked Big E or not..I just don't understand how a town could let something so big to so many people turn to that. The mansion,the "caged" in areas where fine,as far as you wanted to go either way on EP blvd. was complete ghetto,hood trash,,people walking on the sidewalks with beer,,standing in the middle of the blvd. drinking beer,,wine. Every store,gas station had people gathered inside and out just hanging,watching your every move like they were waiting for the next victim.

While traveling on business I made an unplanned stop to check it out when I saw the exit sign. I can say to this day, my Graceland visit has been one of the most surreal experiences in my life. [blink]

My favorite part was the fried peanut butter and banana sandwich I ate in the restaurant across the the street.

When I was working in Memphis, I did notice how depressed the city is.

I spent some time in BB King's nightclub, and Sun studios, (but they were closed).

Really had no desire to go to Graceland.

When I go back, I'll try to make it to Sun during the daytime.

When I go to Memphis I am really careful everywhere I go,

I've been to Graceland twice (and that's one too many), it is like a joke episode of MTV cribs...but it is rock n' roll history.

I've been to Memphis about 15 times either for fun, going through or to the regional immigration office.

fun stuff to see and absolutely great food to be had, but some parts of the city are truly depressed.

many years ago before GPS I got lost in the area south of Graceland looking for a shortcut, that was something,

I spent some time playing with bands in Memphis & recording at Sun. Graceland is tacky as all hell, totally surreal, and you should absolutely not miss it if you're in Memphis. Like somebody else said, you only need to see it once.

Also make SURE you hit the Stax museum; it is amazing. When you get hungry, Interstate BBQ's "sampler platter" is awesome, and Sun is a tiny hole in the wall so it is a very very quick tour. I'd see the Gibson factory (also not to be missed!), if I had to chose between Sun & Gibson. To me, Beale St. is corny/cheesy (and not in a Graceland kind of way) and not worth checking out.

Never been. Tried once. Drove past. There was quite a crowd lined up whom appeared to be attending a wake. :(

We kept driving. Turned out it was the anniversary of his birth/death, whatever.

I may try again in the future. I'll check the calendar first.

In a way it has nothing to do with guitars,,depending on how you wanna look at it,,but,has anyone been to graceland lately,,first time or several times?? Anywhooo,the place is completely pititful,,disgusting,nasty,sickening. it's not about whether you liked Big E or not..I just don't understand how a town could let something so big to so many people turn to that. The mansion,the "caged" in areas where fine,as far as you wanted to go either way on EP blvd. was complete ghetto,hood trash,,people walking on the sidewalks with beer,,standing in the middle of the blvd. drinking beer,,wine. Every store,gas station had people gathered inside and out just hanging,watching your every move like they were waiting for the next victim.

"off topic"? not at all, this is the lounge! a place to chillax and talk about anything you want.

i never been to america, i don't wan't to visit graceland, but i do like the big E [biggrin]

Memphis has always been rough and tumble, that's just it's nature. Not much different than New York, LA, or Chicago, though. Good parts and bad parts. But you gotta admit, we wouldn't have a lot of the music we love if not for Memphis.

I lived in Memphis 8 years; had an office not far from Graceland. Left there over 20 years ago for reasons stated above. There are some really nice people there, but the overall deal in terms of personal security just wasn't worth it in a lotta ways.

When Elvis built the place it was a nice, open area. Stuff happens.

Yeah, EP had pretty tacky taste. But... a lot of the same taste in that era was shared by a lotta folks.

Beale Street hadn't been redeveloped when I left. Was back once. Even there it appeared that a good idea would be to leave early and to leave sober.

m

I've only been to Memphis once for a formal while I was in college, had fun while I was there and ended up on Beale still in my suit but somehow without my shoes. Didn't go to Graceland but went to some cool bars.

Actually, worse than personal security to this high plains kid was the humidity in Memphis. I could get used to being careful in different areas, but not to the humidity.

Funny thing is that in the early 1980s, I had an annual jaunt or two to Las Vegas for work purposes. I'd just walk around evenings and enjoy the higher, drier air compared to Memphis. Then around '90, I drove there for a similar photo gig and... the green haze seen over the city kinda messed that up.

m

Archived