Gibson Brands Forums

Binding under my Dot Studio paint?

scantron

I've got a black Dot Studio. Originally it looked like there was no binding, but if you look close there's the impression of binding under that paint. Can the paint be scraped off to reveal the binding underneath?

Only one way to find out for sure, yes? [laugh] <rsdx is not responsible for any damage to one's guitar from following his foolish advice> [laugh]

Only one way to find out for sure, yes? [laugh] <rsdx is not responsible for any damage to one's guitar from following his foolish advice> [laugh]

I'm going to go for it! Some masking tape and a razor blade will hopefully reveal white binding... hopefully... If not I'll be needing some black paint.

I've got a black Dot Studio. Originally it looked like there was no binding, but if you look close there's the impression of binding under that paint. Can the paint be scraped off to reveal the binding underneath?

The guitar has a laminated top and back, the way they're assembled the top / back are sitting on the sides - you're probably looking at the endgrain of the top / back, not binding.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine's a gloss black, not sure of the year. It occurred to me that there might be just black binding under the paint, so it might be kind of pointless to expose it. I did trick it out though with Gibson '57 & '57+ pickups, Tonepros bridge, featherweight Gotoh tailpiece, Gibson tuners, Gold knobs w/pointer washers, and a vintage bone nut. It's pretty awesome now, the sustain is incredible.

5520299331_8db5d274fd_z.jpg

5520301589_776ca823a5_z.jpg

5520893644_e5091b19f3_z.jpg

I think that's the first Dot Studio I really like the looks of. In fact I think I might like it better than a regular Dot.

All black and stripped down to the basic elements, kind of like if Chuck Berry was born a Mennonite....

MennoniteBikers.gif

Thanks!

I was never a fan of the Dot Studio but I got a super deal on this one that I couldn't pass up. Tricking it out was essential, plus it needed a fret dressing. Most guitars need a fret dressing though.

I've owned Epi Dots before and I like this one better after the mods. It was interesting to see how much the Tonepros bridge & lightweight tailpiece improved the tone & sustain. Like night and day!

The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that there's no inlay dots on the fretboard. Takes a little getting used to.

Archived