Gibson Brands Forums

Uncoated vs. Coated strings

bjb5228

I actually HAVE to use the coated strings....my body chemistry is such tha I would go through uncoated strings in a matter of days.....takes a while to break them in where they are not so jangly, but I now like the smooth feel and the ability to "slide" into a note or chord, and I've grown accustomed to the sound, which I like...

i can't say either way. my first experience, i thought they were awful, and i thought it well worth the effort to change strings more. not only that, but why put strings on that are already dead?

well, then i found out my favorite string for my ooo was a coated string. (i used the martin sp's..didn't even know they were coated for some time). the reason i was using them is i thought they sounded great, and i tried a few.

i think it is only fair to say that what makes a string good is more than if it is coated or not coated. to me, a good sounding string sounds good, and a bad one sounds bad.

grated, i have tried coated strings that it was easy to tell they sounded bad as a result of the coating. but i have learned that to become prejudiced toward coated strings as a result may not be a worthwhile consideration. there may be purist who think this is perhaps not authentic, and in a lot of ways i respect some of the bluegrass super-purest ways.

and that said, what may be a good string on one guitar is not by default a good string on another. i think acoustic guitars, especially flat tops, change dramatically from on type to another. strings, i think, make far more difference than we often give them credit for. i think more so than the type/materiel of the nut and bridge. maybe even as much as adrionic spruce.

But you know what the problem is boys, nobody hardly goes there in reality. We did when it first was pinned then sort of forgot about it.

What would help is a little 'new message' symbol when somebody places a new comment or post there. Gives folks a reason to go into that folder.

But you know what the problem is boys, nobody hardly goes there in reality. We did when it first was pinned then sort of forgot about it.

What would help is a little 'new message' symbol when somebody places a new comment or post there. Gives folks a reason to go into that folder.

Actually, if you click into the pinned topics, the icon shown is the "read" (grayed) icon. After another post, the icon returns to "un-read" status (full color).

Archived