Gibson Brands Forums

Is anybody here actively using/collecting vinyl LPs?

Riffster

I have a number of boxes. I've even borrowed a few from the local library. Yes, the local library still has stacks of these.

When I checked it out, the old-as-me librarian, looked at me and said, "I'm sure you know how to use these." [smile]

"Absolutely," I said. [laugh]

He related a story of a college student who borrowed a 2 disk album. He brought it back, saying that there were two disks missing and they were missing when he borrowed them and didn't want to be held responsible. [bored] "There was only side 1 and side 3," the student told him. The librarian, said, "Did you turn them over?" "Over?" [confused] said the confused student? [woot]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend tells me that some records are being re-issued on vinyl but some record companies are messing with equalization, mastering, etc.

This brings up a valid point. Just because a record is recorded on vinyl, is it genuinely analog? or is it a digital recording, committed to vinyl?

I went to someone's house once. He had a room just for listening. All there was, was a chair and his equipment.

Two speakers, turntable and amp. It was worth a fortune. But the sound!

It was like they were in the room with you.

Fantastic.

This is what I am working on. Currently, my turntable is hooked up to the main stereo in the living room. Too many distractions so it does not get spun very often. I just got a pair of Polk bookshelf speakers and all I need is an integrated amp and I'll have my mixing/listening room all set.

My vinyl collection is small, a couple hundred, but it is rich. I have my father's old Dylan records, my mom's copy of Dark Side of the Moon, and a lot of new stuff like SM&Jicks and Mission of Burma. Matador and Sub Pop do vinyl right. They usually press on 180 or 150 gram and always include a digital download. Nothing sounds better than the analog richness of a format like vinyl. I am a big tape guy too and miss the days of 100% analog cassette releases.

This brings up a valid point. Just because a record is recorded on vinyl, is it genuinely analog? or is it a digital recording, committed to vinyl?

If you do buy reissues, make sure they are pressed off of the original analog masters or you won't get the richness your ears deserve.

i have a small collection of vinyls. Probably about 50-60 that are from the 70's/80's... miscellanious stuff my dad has owned and never gotten rid of. Plus I have about 25 or so that I've bought in the past few years.

I don't have too many very valuable vinyls, but my favorite ones/most valuable ones are:

-Original pressings of Thriller and Off The Wall by Michael Jackson that my dad bought WAYYY back in the day. [biggrin]

-A few limited edition Iron Maiden singles (20th ann. colored vinyl editions of The Trooper, Number of the Beast, and Run to the Hills)

-Green Day's 21st Century Breakdown limited edition 3-disc vinyl set. Limited to only 1,000 pressings worldwide. [thumbup]

-Some anniversary editions/reissues like Dark Side of the Moon 30th ann, Nirvana's first album 20th ann, Appetite for Destruction, and Hotel California.

Another one of my favorites (although it's probably not worth too much) is a special edition copy of Bob Marley's Legends (Greatest Hits) album printed in Rasta-colored vinyl and it has a hemp sleeve with the image of Marley in the Rasta colors. It's THIS ONE

He related a story of a college student who borrowed a 2 disk album. He brought it back, saying that there were two disks missing and they were missing when he borrowed them and didn't want to be held responsible. [bored] "There was only side 1 and side 3," the student told him. The librarian, said, "Did you turn them over?" "Over?" [confused] said the confused student? [woot]

LOL!!!!! [lol] [lol] [lol]

I game my collection away when I was going through a divorce. I had some fantastic albums....

A mint Rory Gallagher Irish Tour 74

A mint Free Highway

Hearts Magazine on the Mushroom label

various Zep Bootlegs

Hendrix In The West

Original 60s copies of Help! and Rubber Soul

Little Games by The Yardbirds

I argued the sound quality of vinyl over digital with someone here before. I can't remember who, but I still think vinyl sounds better. The advantage of digital is the cost.

When I was in my 20's my college roommate was a DJ at a local FM radio station in a small conservative town and the station manager gave all the cutouts that he deemed inappropriate for the listening audience to me knowing I was a record collector.

I still have them,most have been converted to tape,cd and dvd-I miss the old album cover art. I have about 250 lp's from 1967 to 1975, many which are first pressings and I was shocked at the value of some of the records!

I argued the sound quality of vinyl over digital with someone here before. I can't remember who, but I still think vinyl sounds better.

Yes I've had this discussion with coworkers and my younger brothers. Music lost something sonically when it went all digital. I can only explain it by saying there is no depth, no warmth to the sound anymore.

Give me all the pops and hiss because I love vinyl albums.

I use to be a collector but haven't even owned a turntable in several years. I sold off most of my collection, keeping only the most collectable albums, but have thought lately about selling them as they are getting no use here.

Yes I've had this discussion with coworkers and my younger brothers. Music lost something sonically when it went all digital. I can only explain it by saying there is no depth, no warmth to the sound anymore.

Give me all the pops and hiss because I love vinyl albums.

You know what kills me about this? There are very high fidelity digital formats, but hardly anyone wants to press releases on them. SACD, DVD audio, and loss-less digital files are all as close as you can get at this time to audio Mount Olympus: vinyl records. Neil Young is a *huge* proponent of these formats and now releases his material this way. My drummer has the DVD audio version of Le Noise. Need to make it over to his place to check it out for myself. Helps that he plays it through this beauty

outlaw_2150.jpg

You know what kills me about this? There are very high fidelity digital formats, but hardly anyone wants to press releases on them. SACD, DVD audio, and loss-less digital files are all as close as you can get at this time to audio Mount Olympus: vinyl records. Neil Young is a *huge* proponent of these formats and now releases his material this way. My drummer has the DVD audio version of Le Noise. Need to make it over to his place to check it out for myself. Helps that he plays it through this beauty

outlaw_2150.jpg

This is one big shocking thing that I learned about audio quality, CDs and especially mp3s are a HUGE downgrade in audio quality. Nobody wants to use these other formats for whatever reason.

I want more vinyl, but I need to get a record player first

And Evol - Le Noise is an awesome album, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Still have to buy the whole thing, but the entire album is available along with a video on youtube [thumbup]

The difference between digital and analog can be compared to the difference between rolling down hill on a wagon on one of two streets. Analog is rolling down on perfectly smooth, fresh laid concrete. Digital is rolling down hill on a cobblestone road. Either way you get to the same end. One is just more pleasurable than the other. By definition, analog is more accurate than digital. Ask any scientist.

Anyone remember or have any picture disks? back in the late 70's, my non yet brother-in-law once worked at Musicland, which eventually became Sam Goody. He got first dibs on all the first issues and special releases like picture disks. He used to have a ton.... literally 2000 pounds of LPS.

If anyone has any picture disks, see if you can post them here. The younger generation don't know what they are missing.

This is one big shocking thing that I learned about audio quality, CDs and especially mp3s are a HUGE downgrade in audio quality. Nobody wants to use these other formats for whatever reason.

Low sample rate files like mp3s are the worst. So abusive to your ears.

And Evol - Le Noise is an awesome album, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Still have to buy the whole thing, but the entire album is available along with a video on youtube [thumbup]

I am wise to Le Noise. Downloaded the deluxe version with videos and a Daniel Lanois interview, talking about how they made the album. Killer stuff.

Anyone remember or have any picture disks? back in the late 70's, my non yet brother-in-law once worked at Musicland, which eventually became Sam Goody. He got first dibs on all the first issues and special releases like picture disks. He used to have a ton.... literally 2000 pounds of LPS.

If anyone has any picture disks, see if you can post them here. The younger generation don't know what they are missing.

You mean vinyl albums with pictures on them? I have a few of those I could photograph.

You mean vinyl albums with pictures on them? I have a few of those I could photograph.

That would be cool. The kids here have probably never seen one. [thumbup]

If I look hard enough I should have some cardboard disks. It was a 5 record set given away as a promotional item by... BMG, I think, records back in the day. Really cheap and cheezy for a freebie, but it was part of our pop culture. Similar records showed up on the backs of cereal boxes. The box had a thin, clear, plastic coating with the grooves for the tone arm needle to engage. The trick was cutting it out and getting the center hole right. Get the hole off center and y ou got some 'wow'. Trouble was, because one side was covered with the plastic, and the other raw fiber board, humidity changes would make them curl. The usual music was the cereal characters, like Snap, Crackle and Pop, singing their jingle.

[biggrin]

I never bought a picture LP back in the day simply because money was too tight and those were more expensive.

It was either have a picture LP or 2 regular LPs so I went the latter route everytime.

Picture discs are really cool though.

I have hundreds of vintage vinyl including almost all of the Beatles and Stones original 60s releases.Vinyl imparts a warmth of tone that's not present on CD or MP3 etc. plus a lot of old vinyl records are so obscure you're not likely to see them in any other format.A couple of Christmases ago my daughters gave me a stereo combo that converts cassettes and vinyl to CD and I find that to be a fabulous set up.I still buy vintage vinyl whenever I can and I don't have an MP3 player and doubt I ever will as the sound quality isn't nearly as good as that of an old skip-free record on a high quality turntable and stereo.

You know what kills me about this? There are very high fidelity digital formats, but hardly anyone wants to press releases on them. SACD, DVD audio, and loss-less digital files are all as close as you can get at this time to audio Mount Olympus: vinyl records. Neil Young is a *huge* proponent of these formats and now releases his material this way.

outlaw_2150.jpg

I have the DVD audio of Pet Sounds and Dark Side Of The Moon. Both are fantastic but you could not find any titles or new releases in that format.

I have the DVD audio of Pet Sounds and Dark Side Of The Moon. Both are fantastic but you could not find any titles or new releases in that format.

Makes you want to cry, doesn't it? At least they could press them for those of us with discriminating tastes.

That would be cool. The kids here have probably never seen one. [thumbup]

You can still get them quite easily.

The newest one I've got is Green Day's Holiday. Pretty much every independent record store I go in has new picture discs in stock still.

There are some albums these days that really do sound like a load of crap on CD these days when compared to the LPs. If you listen to the CD version of Green Day's Insomniac and American Idiot or Depeche Mode's Playing the Angel and then compare the LP copies the difference is astounding and not just as a result of the differences in format but because the CDs have been mastered so utterly terribly that they wipe out half the arrangements.

On the flipside of that (no pun intended) some vinyl is that's released essentially as collectors' pieces is so badly pressed that songs cut off before the end, the speed of the record is variable or, the worst case we've had, are made of such bad plastic that it can break the arm mechanism on an auto-tracking vinyl deck. I was not popular over that. It was my record, but not my deck.

I have a few picture disks... they're still around. They're usually released as limited editions....

I have Iron Maiden's Flight 666 and Final Frontier both on picture disk, as well as Mastodon's Crack the Skye. [thumbup]

I own over 800 and I've combined them with a buddy of mine who owns around 1200 and put them into air conditioned storage. They go from the '60s thru the '80s. Probably 100 are duplicates. Probably 100 have never been played. Classical, Jazz, Big Band, Rock, Blue Grass. Most all are in perfect condition. Don't know how many have been made into CDs. Don't know what we'll do with them.

Well, I browsed through the vinyl section at FYE last night and what a blast from the past.

So, it looks like in the new world of vinyl most are 180 gram, albums are split in 2 records and some even give you the digital download or even the CD.

These 180 gram records weigh a ton, especially when you have 2 or even 3 records in a single album. I guess thicker vinyl reduces flutter but dang these things are thick and heavy.

I also noticed a few re-issues that have fuzzy graphics on the cover.

Archived