Gibson Brands Forums

Post Pics of Your Baby

colin4195

Some here are living the dream more than me, but I tend to make one major music related purchase a year. It's such a hard life when the hard decisions in life are "which Gibson to buy" or to go with Gibson or Fender. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I want to buy an SG Standard, Les Paul Standard, Explorer, Flying V, a more high end Gretsch or a USA Strat for next year's purchase.

I understand man !

I think playing guitar is an expensive hobby. I always crave for new guitars. I said i would stop if i had a fender and a gibson les paul. We will see when the time is right.... :P

Cheers,

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Gretsch G5120 already and no Fender's yet. The 5120 has it's stock Gretschbuckers and after taking it out to a jam session at a local bar last weekend I've decided to keep them as opposed to swapping for Filtertrons as originally planned. Not only was I floored by the tone, but I received lots of compliments on the tone I was getting - I plugged into the house band's amp (a Laney hybrid combo amp)and used the same settings they were using for a very distorted strat and les paul. The pickups are fairly low output and the tone I got was a nice full sound just on the verge of breaking up. When I picked softly I got my clean tone and when I dug into the strings I got a fairly close approximation of the AC/DC sound.

I might just go with the strat, since I haven't had one in nearly 10 years and I kinda regret selling that early 80's Japanese Squire I'd been playing back then. One difference this time though is if I can't tolerate the hum of the single coils I might go after stacked buckers or Lace Sensors instead of EMG's. Of course, there is something about the Gretsch sound that I've found almost as appealing as the Gibson sound. Maybe it's that the Gretsch tone compliments the Gibson tone in a mix in a different way than the Fender sound does...mind you, the Strat/Les Paul combo in a 2 guitar band works very well also.

I agree with you and like your logic! I think you should definitely investigate a Strat of some sort in lieu of a higher end Gretsch. My first "real" guitar was a Fender Strat Plus with the Lace pickups that I got back in 92 or so when I was 16. I still own her and the frets are really shot though. I like the Lace pickups and their crystal clean tones and chimes. It's all subjective though so give it a shot. I've got a Deluxe with the noiseless PU's and they are nice too.

stratfront.jpg

straths.jpg

How is that home build sg? Do she sound nice, and can you tell a little about the making of it?

I started with a nondescript body made from several pieces of mahogany and a maple neck, (yes, maple!) The neck is quite a chunky one with a sort of 50's les paul feel to it and does feel very strange compared to my 61 Reissue. A proper headstock facing was acquired and the body and neck finished in a translucent white/blonde which I really like. Hardware wise I have Grovers, quality nickel hardware and the pickups are Hagstrom Custom 58's which I've always loved in my Super Swede so I thought I'd give them a go in the build. I used CTS pots with sprague orange drop caps and proper earth sleeved cable for the wiring. It does sound pretty authentic, obviously it sounds different to the 61 but does it sound worse? No, just different. Really tight with a spanking bass and bucketfulls of sustain. I'm happy with it, it cost me pennies to build really, I'm never going to sell it or pass it on as something it isn't and I'm really pleased with it! Maybe I should build a blue one and post pics of the build...

Welcome home baby, Daddy's gotcha now...

No more drooling little Guitar Center dweebs plucking some stupid half ***'ed rendition of "Smoke on the Water" on your low-E, it's all better now... [flapper]

Thisismine.jpg

That is one gorgeous looking Les Paul, the Zebra pups make it something special to look at!

yeah, those SG's are a SG fan's wet dream. lol

seriously though, it might be time for me to stray from Gibby for now and get a strat - as much as I would like an SG Standard or a Les Paul Standard/Traditional; the strat will give me a wider palet of sounds that I can tap into. Then I'll go back to Gibson again. :)

Yeah man, and the madness ain't over [biggrin] before i get my filthy hands on the Queen of Gibson Electric [thumbup]421637-1.jpg

That's my dream guitar too. Thinking about putting that number one on my list of retirement gifts I get for myself.

seriously though, it might be time for me to stray from Gibby for now and get a strat - as much as I would like an SG Standard or a Les Paul Standard/Traditional; the strat will give me a wider palet of sounds that I can tap into. Then I'll go back to Gibson again. :)

[thumbdn]

Of all of the single coil pickup Fenders you're thinking of a Strat? blech!

We need to burn some sage around the SG board to clear out this bad Strat stuff poisoning the vibe.

The jealousy I have raging in me now. Johnny Marr is one of my all time favorite guitar players. Loved that SG he played in the Healers. Now he is back to Fenders, but at least he's sporting a Jaguar instead of a Strat so I can't hate on that.

just some updated pics, i swapped out the Nashville bridge for an original ABR-1 (used and era-correct) and added a new pickguard.

6099095558_78f81a1b87_b.jpg

6099095858_584fb50042_b.jpg

6098550825_5802e8fdc2_b.jpg

6098552055_a61d534752_b.jpg

6099100516_1068a72f6b_b.jpg

6098555709_34730cb505_b.jpg

the ABR-1 looks better with the narrow Gotoh aluminum tailpiece, as the wider Nashville bridge just did not look right. also gives a more vintage look with the thumb wheels more prominent and allows the tailpiece to be screwed down all the way to the body.

WD Music supplied the custom pickguard. they currently have a two week turnaround. i went with 3-ply b/w/b for a cleaner look and to compliment the clean look of the all-black truss rod cover.

Archived