Gibson Brands Forums

Ugh a top 50 heavy metal songs list.

dem00n

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just what I'd expect from Gibson.com. Oh well, at least there's a lot of love for Judas Priest.

Seriously, though, it gets worse--check out MTV's "Greatest Metal Bands" feature.

http://www.mtv.com/bands/m/metal/greatest_metal_bands/071406/index6.jhtml

KISS somehow made it onto the list at #9. AC/DC are at #7. I don't consider either one to be metal--and that's not because of anything Metal Archives has to say. I just don't recognize enough characteristics within their music that I associate with metal.

I'm sorry, but I think there needs to be a line drawn between "greatest" and "most influential."

If we're talking about, say, KISS and Mercyful Fate, of course KISS was more influential, but if you ask me who was a better metal band...

Tools metal? Kiss is metal? Alice in Chain is metal?

http://www.gibson.co...ongs-0314-2011/

The only band out of those 3 thats in the metal archives is alice in chains, which is the cloestist to metal.

http://www.metal-archives.com/

Opiate was pretty damn metal. Undertow, not so much, but still pretty heavy. Probably safe to categorize that album as Nu-Metal...like Korn. Everything after that was pretty much new-age hippy rock in a metal-esque wrapper.

I dont even know the song they were referring to. Tool lost me a long time ago.

Tool's not metal? I'd say they practically pioneered Industrial Metal.

When I saw Alice in Chains back in 1993 they were a heavy metal act, but after that they got really lethargic. Practically Trance Music [thumbdn] So if you were there at the right time they could be metal.

AC/DC was in the record collection of every Metalhead I went to school with, but I don't think that makes them Metal.

Kiss?!?!??! WTF? Glam Rock...sure, Hard Rock...sure, commercial rock...sure, theatrical rock...sure, disco...sure, metal...WTF?

I think all lists posted on the internet that say "Top ___ of ____" Should be qualified with the author's name.

Example;

John Smith's Top 10 metal bands

That gives us insight as to what john smith thinks of metal; whether his opinion means anything to you is relevant to how you respect John Smith in regards to his tastes in music.

When they do a Top anything list it always draws attention and ire because the list is a basic statement of fact, not of opinion.

It really is only a small change to the title and it'd do a world of good on the internets.

Dudes..dudes..lemme just say. Take it for what it is.

I have not listened to metal for years. I don't even have a clue what is going on with it now, or even 10 years ago, just so you know.

But I have to set you straiaght about something. I remember when metallica was on an independant label, and we all had thier records. I remember when the Crue were still playing the clubs in LA. And when Blizz came out.

I WAS one of the dudes with hair down to my *** and a leather jacket when us headbangers was a different crowd. We wore the METAL badge with pride, and we WERE a different crowd. I was there with My balls to the wall when METAL was METAL. METAL was a real movement and a separate crowd even beyond just the music. I may not know what metal is now, but I sure as hell know what metal was and IS from back then, and we called it METAL and it was METAL.

So I read this and what was metal then is not metal now? You got another thing comin'. Priest is not "remotely" metal, it is PURE metal. I don't recall some of these "influential" bands as being "influential" to metal, that is metal.

I full well know I say this to those who carry the torch while I do not know what is is now anymore, and I do not even have a clue what is going on with metal now. The only thing really left in me is the occasional Maiden fix. But I am just a little sad to see the day come when those that made metal no longer gets to be validated by the metal club.

I would consider Tool metal as FM said, why they would put 10k Days on the list is beyond me. Not even close to being Tool's definitive track (let alone a metal track). Then again I didn't like any of that album. With new genres being invented every day it's hard to keep track and the lines get blurred easily.

Yep.

Looking back, I can see your confusion.

Growing up through the days when all these bands broke, they were considered metal at the time.

So, did Jethro Tull make the list?

[thumbup]

well, i know Maiden did an awesome cover of "Cross Eyed Mary".

Uhhhh....Duane, the only metal band you listed was Priest.

They're all metal to my ears..... VH saved us from disco when Boston, Judas Priest and KISS couldn't do it... Any band (Twisted Sister) that can open for Iron Maiden and hold their own is metal in my book.

People should stop posting "Top Metal" lists all together. Cuz metal heads are just gonna b!tch about how this band is not metal and this band should have made it, this band is better than that band cuz they're more obscure, blah blah blah. I don't bother looking at those lists.....you know the old saying..."opinion are like a$$holes...."

People should stop posting "Top Metal" lists all together. Cuz metal heads are just gonna b!tch about how this band is not metal and this band should have made it, this band is better than that band cuz they're more obscure, blah blah blah. I don't bother looking at those lists.....you know the old saying..."opinion are like a$$holes...."

The same goes for "Top" lists of any genre Matt. It's all conjecture, no set standards for determining the absolute best. Too many variables are involved for any clear cut list to ever be created. Not to mention a lot of what makes a great artist loved by some are the feelings that come through the song and the emotions they strike in us, which is not something tangible - in fact sometimes it can be transient and elusive, lost when revisited in latter years. Some could go by album sales, but as we all know album sales aren't the end all be all indicator for greatness. These lists are always going to be colored by the creator's influences and tastes.

They're all metal to my ears..... VH saved us from disco when Boston, Judas Priest and KISS couldn't do it... Any band (Twisted Sister) that can open for Iron Maiden and hold their own is metal in my book.

Well, ok then. I guess if we have to go there, then let the discussion begin.

Duane, I really, really hate to say it, but for the most part you were corrected properly. I am not putting you out for your taste in music.

I could be wrong, but the way I remember it is more like Preist saved us from Kiss, Boston was just Boston, not Metal but no problem there. As for Van Halen, they just simply kicked *** and there is nothing that could be contrary to that. Van halen did what they wanted to. If someone wants to call them metal, they are Van Halen, so it's ok.

But I have to seriously part ways with you on the Twisted Sister. They might fit more of a pop deal, more of a commercial thing. Metal-like, for lack of a better description. Some (ok, nearly all) would say "poseur metal" would be more accurate. Not that I have a problem with anyone who likes and appreciates what they did.

As far as them opening for Maiden, what was that like? Did it really work?

Discuss....

What? No discussion?

Is that not what there "list" are for?

I would think that perhaps the whole reson behind such a post would be to remind us of days gone and also to educate us on what is going on now?

How in the hell is metal going to have any meaning for us if we don't care to go there?

Yep. They opened for Iron Maiden. I wasn't a big TS fan, and they proved to be the most unprofessional band I've ever seen, bringing up the house lights to b!tch at the sound guy mid-set. :rolleyes:

For the record, back then there were NO subgenres... no speed metal, no death metal, none. It was just "Metal", as opposed to hard rock, which really wasn't. That's how bands that, by today's standards, are not metal get included into the metal list.

Bands like Megadeath and Metallica were called "thrash" or "speed metal" when they first gained notice around here...

Yep. They opened for Iron Maiden. I wasn't a big TS fan, and they proved to be the most unprofessional band I've ever seen, bringing up the house lights to b!tch at the sound guy mid-set. :rolleyes:

For the record, back then there were NO subgenres... no speed metal, no death metal, none. It was just "Metal", as opposed to hard rock, which really wasn't. That's how bands that, by today's standards, are not metal get included into the metal list.

Bands like Megadeath and Metallica were called "thrash" or "speed metal" when they first gained notice around here...

Yes, I remember clearly that Metallica and Megadeath were called "speed metal", and yet we still considered tham metal as well.

What I am unclear about, is how what was clearly metal back then is not considered metal now. How can a whole genre exist and then 20 years later not be considered what it was?

Metal got.... metal-ier. Darker, deeper and harder, leaving the old "metal" bands to be re-labeled as "Hair Bands" or "Glam Rock". Remember... Elvis used to sing that "damned rock and roll music", and he is hardly considered a "rock" artist today.

Oldies weren't always oldies... at one time they were the day's popular music.

If you noticed, from a player's perspective, we used to tune down a half step... made it darker sounding. Now they tune down massively... added an extra bass string just to make it sound even darker than the last generation of "metal". I keep wondering when they are gonna just let the strings hang limp..... ;)

Seems as if the theme of the Lounge today is "Perspective" :D

Now, I do know what "hair metal" is, like poison, etc. And I get the possible separation between that and metal, i.e. someone not wanting to include them in a pure metal catagory.

But, just to clarify, are they saying that MAIDEN and PRIEST are genuinely not considered metal anymore?

Yep.

Looking back, I can see your confusion.

Growing up through the days when all these bands broke, they were considered metal at the time.

So, did Jethro Tull make the list?

[thumbup]

Tull were prog rock!!!

Archived