Gibson Brands Forums

Ugh a top 50 heavy metal songs list.

dem00n

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL, I don't really understand the problem. These lists always suck! [lol]

But instead of saying "They aren't Metal" and "That's not real Metal", wouldn't it be better to first define "Heavy Metal"?

Then it would be easy to determine which bands belong to this category and which bands don't...

[biggrin][flapper][biggrin]

LOL, I don't really understand the problem. These lists always suck! [lol]

But instead of saying "They aren't Metal" and "That's not real Metal", wouldn't it be better to first define "Heavy Metal"?

Then it would be easy to determine which bands belong to this category and which bands don't...

[biggrin][flapper][biggrin]

Operational definitions please. Too many genres, too many countries, too many tastes. No more lists! Just end the madness.

So I read this and what was metal then is not metal now? You got another thing comin'. Priest is not "remotely" metal, it is PURE metal. I don't recall some of these "influential" bands as being "influential" to metal, that is metal.

Agreed. Priest were among the pioneers and no one can take that from them or deny it. They always have been metal and always will be.

Now, I do know what "hair metal" is, like poison, etc. And I get the possible separation between that and metal, i.e. someone not wanting to include them in a pure metal catagory.

Yes, that's basically the point of the OP.

But, just to clarify, are they saying that MAIDEN and PRIEST are genuinely not considered metal anymore?

No, I don't think anyone has said that. The only ones dem00n objected to were Kiss, Tool and Alice in Chains. He said nothing about Maiden or Priest, and frankly, they're undeniably metal, and anyone who says otherwise is nearsighted.

I praised the list for recognizing Judas Priest.

From Wikipedia.....

Led Zeppelin II has been cited by music writers as a blueprint for heavy metal bands that followed it.[9][29] Blues-derived songs like "Whole Lotta Love", "Heartbreaker", "The Lemon Song", "Moby ****" and "Bring It On Home" have been seen as representing standards of the genre, where the guitar-based riff (rather than vocal chorus or verses) defines the song and provides the key hook.[5] Such arrangements and emphasis were at the time atypical in popular music.[9] Page's guitar solo in "Heartbreaker" featuring rapid-fire runs of notes tapped only by the left hand, was a major inspiration to the later work of metal soloists and "shredders" such as Eddie Van Halen and Steve Vai.[30] As such, the album is generally considered to be very influential on the development of rock music, being an early forerunner of heavy metal, and inspiring a host of other rock bands including Aerosmith, Van Halen and Guns N' Roses.[9][31]

For cryin out loud. Moby Dlck was censored

I got to discussing this with another guy in the company today who is quite a bit older than me, I had to check this out myself since I wasn't sure he was correct but here it is.

From Wikipedia on Heavy Metal, a quote from "Chas" Chandler, manager for the Jimi Hendrix Experience:

Heavy metal "was a term originated in a New York Times article reviewing a Jimi Hendrix performance," in which the author likened the event to "listening to heavy metal falling from the sky."

Zeppilin is one of those bands that just rule so much that whatever list they get included on, no one has a valid argument. I was shocked that they very nearly got back together and did another tour. That would have been bigger than the election.

Zeppelin's great, but Sabbath was the ORIGINAL heavy metal band. Iommi's riffs were much heavier than Page's, IMO. Yes, there were songs before that said the words "heavy metal" and some bands had a heavy song here and there, but Sabbath was the first rock band to be constantly heavy.

Zeppelin's great, but Sabbath was the ORIGINAL heavy metal band. Iommi's riffs were two times heavier than Pages, IMO.

Ok, that may be true, but the Bonham factor plays big.

There may be a case, though, that Sabbath was the first band to actually create metal on purpose, where in the case of Zep and hendrix it was a side effect of rocking really hard.

Vocals....singing vs screaming/yelling/growling?

Back when Metallica was new and called "Speed Metal" most Metal acts had incredible singers with multiple octaves. Maiden and Priest set the vocal bar back then. I'm not sure when Cookie Monster vocals and gruff yelling completely took over in metal.

To me the difference between Metal and Hard rock is in the Drums and the way the Rhythm Guitar works with the Bass Drum like a Bass Player. If the drummers playing 8th and 16th notes on the bass drum and using Toms as well as snare for the down beats it's Meatal, if the drummer's just riding the hi-hat and snare, and using the bass drum for half and quarter notes, it's Hard Rock.

{edit} and let's not forget, Wikipedia has input from a so many different sources that its information will reflect the discrepancies in this argument, not clear it up.

^ Nope, they are rock.

Just because they have heavy metal memebers doesnt mean its metal. Tons of death metal guys play in Jazz groups, are the jazz groups death metal now?

I'm not disagreeing with you, but how did you arrive at this conclusion?

Archived