Gibson Brands Forums

OK, confessions

albertjohn

You will all be bored by now, to the extent of contemplating self harm, of my quest for a few Gibsons to play at a shop, particularly a 12r.

Roguebrit suggested I visit Coda Music in Luton which I duly did yesterday.

A wall full of Gibson electrics and about a dozen acoustics. A couple of Birds, RJs, a 165 and a SWD12!!

The SWD12 was a wonderful guitar. It's quite simply the best 12r I've played which includes a few Taylors and Guilds. Nice balance and articulation. It was everything I love about my 6r but twice as much. The Baggs electronics are awesome.

Played a couple of others and then a used Takamine EF381SC 12r. WOW!!!! Instantly fell in love with it. I was not as good as the SWD12 but £800 cheaper. You hear people saying that a guitar sang to them as soon as they played it and this has now happened to me. WOW!

Did I say WOW!? Not as natural sounding as the Gibson but more choral. I like a bit of Zing in a 12r. They had a Martin DM12? there for half as much money again and the Tak blew it to pieces, as did the Gibson.

JT, if you were at all concerned about your SWD12, then don't be. If it is half as good as the one I played yesterday then it knocks spots off that Taylor we played the other week.

I'll just have to wait to sell a couple of children (that's a joke) before I have one but the Tak will do fine until then.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm glad to hear of your discovery, AJ! i'm sure some more experience voices will chime in here but its been my experience to sell children one at a time and not as a group.

as far as being " bored by now, to the extent of contemplating self harm..." yes, i am there. and, if sheryl crow is reading, i've been a very bad boy and would gladly relinquish my self-harm/punishment into her authority.

Sir Johnt

I can't tell you how relieved I am to finally learn that your misdirected sex drive regarding 12's is finally and rapidly approaching a telling conclusion. May I cordially suggest that you now undergo a thorough physical and stress exam before "pulling the trigger" as they say on the axx of your choice.

I and Nou Nou are also very pleased to note that you have not included your beloved FRED

as a possible disposal needed to acquire this blooming guitar. If you can just hold your shorts on till you go to Bozeman, I feel you will find carloads of unsaleable 12's here.

Have a jolly whatever

Moose & Nou Nou

P.S. Please also be advised that I have found the lyrics to that heart wrenching sea chanty entitled

"WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE SHIP HIT THE SAND" This was one of Little Jimmy Dickens least known

major musical efforts that deserves to be rediscovered by a troubled (guitar wise)troubadore such as your self.

Do you know there must be a forum rule which dictates if one goes away for a few days everything else happens!

AJ Buy the flippin TAK,if it sounds good and plays good and feels good well it could have Eko on the headstock and still satisfy one.

As for my SWD I know that it has had a charmed life but I paid 35% OF the list , not 35% OFF the list. So if the neck needed a re-set etc then it was in budget.

12s sound so much better with new strings, go back to Coda, buy a set of strings and try the TAK then.

NB I WISH I could remember which kind soul on the forum gave us that tip, that is to try a box with a new set of strings, a few weeks ago but the night is drawing in and my senses dull with the eventide!

BTW You sanctioned your trip? Stevenage eh? Need a passport over there!

Buy the TAK!

Sir Johnt

I can't tell you how relieved I am to finally learn that your misdirected sex drive regarding 12's is finally and rapidly approaching a telling conclusion. May I cordially suggest that you now undergo a thorough physical and stress exam before "pulling the trigger" as they say on the axx of your choice.

I and Nou Nou are also very pleased to note that you have not included your beloved FRED

as a possible disposal needed to acquire this blooming guitar. If you can just hold your shorts on till you go to Bozeman' date=' I feel you will find carloads of unsaleable 12's here.

Have a jolly whatever

Moose & Nou Nou

P.S. Please also be advised that I have found the lyrics to that heart wrenching sea chanty entitled

"WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE SHIP HIT THE SAND" This was one of Little Jimmy Dickens least known

major musical efforts that deserves to be rediscovered by a troubled (guitar wise)troubadore such as your self.

[/quote']

Cordial greetings to you and yours from the secretariat of the Uk branch of the Academy of Pi$$ PooR guitar picking.#

Winter looms in our little land, and the rain falls ever like the silken hair of a beautiful lady as she brushes in front of her mirror.

Our thoughts turn away from the heady minor chords and progressions of summer, from jazz/indie fusion and Ted and John to the more warming major thuds as personified by "The greatest Band in the world" namely Oasis.

God I hate winter!

Confuscius he say "Iffa you dont know whatta axe to buyee, then keep your moneeee in pocket"

That's whats happening currently.

And much as I like you, my horned moose buddy, nay even admire, you you sire are slightly hypocritical making seemingly dimissive references such as "as a possible disposal needed to acquire this blooming guitar"

I did not stoop that low when you were on your quest. A Blooming guitar indeed

BTW the old joke about the man who had "a thing" about dogs.

A friend said to him one day, in disgust " That's disgraceful, how low can you go"

He replied " On a good day.......a Jack Russell"

I digress. But Fred has now fled the country!!

I am glad that you have found the lyrics to the shanty. I have nearly worked the guitar passages out and am looking forward to playing that and a little UK ditty called "The Ball of Kerrimuir" at the homecoming.

I have received your calling card via the wonders of email thank you for that I was unaware that you do had a Kirby franchise!

How many stair nozzles did you sell last week?

With that I bid adieu, my old friends John Walker and Don Perrynon are coming round for a jam!

Hah........................... avast yee!

Do you know there must be a forum rule which dictates if one goes away for a few days everything else happens!

AJ Buy the flippin TAK' date='if it sounds good and plays good and feels good well it could have Eko on the headstock and still satisfy one.

As for my SWD I know that it has had a charmed life but I paid 35% OF the list , not 35% OFF the list. So if the neck needed a re-set etc then it was in budget.

12s sound so much better with new strings, go back to Coda, buy a set of strings and try the TAK then.

NB I WISH I could remember which kind soul on the forum gave us that tip, that is to try a box with a new set of strings, a few weeks ago but the night is drawing in and my senses dull with the eventide!

BTW You sanctioned your trip? Stevenage eh? Need a passport over there!

Buy the TAK![/quote']

Read again. I bought it and it's fab.......... and it has new strings!

So when next in Bulmer, it's a "12r Fest 2008". We'll dust down Robbie's 185-12, strap yourself in and off we jolly well go! (Should quite an interesting rendition of Wish You Were Here)

Johnt wrote: Winter looms in our little land, and the rain falls ever like the silken hair of a beautiful lady as she brushes in front of her mirror.

Our thoughts turn away from the heady minor chords and progressions of summer, from jazz/indie fusion and Ted and John to the more warming major thuds as personified by "The greatest Band in the world" namely Oasis.

Thank you my friend for releasing me from this quest to finally gain an understanding, a feeling if you will, of one of your homeland expressions. I've wondered about it for over a fortnight but now I know what, " If that isn't a load of cobblers," means. Thank you old chap, you're the best!! A-a-a-r-r-r--g-g-g-h-h-h-h!!!! matie1

Sir Johnt:

You wax so poetically about your weather that it positively brings tears to Nou Nou's eyes.

Please tell me that you are kidding about Fred leaving the country unless you are sending him to me

for the rest cure I am sure he well deserves.

Now about the word Blooming-this just came to me in a fit of creative thought. If in the UK the use of this word really creates a most derogatory description of your death wish guitar desires-please be assured that it certainly was not meant to hurt your sensitivities in this regard.

So happy to know that you are working on an arrangement of Ship Hit The Sand for your Bozeman debut-may I also further suggest that another welcome addition to your US repertoire might also be the more sophisticated version of HELP ME MAKE THROUGH THE NIGHT entitled HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE YARD.

With happy thoughts of my early days as a Hoover salesman (not Kirby) when I was then more affectionately known as Happy Henry-The Working Girl's Boy Friend, I remain

Moose

the title "i kissed a girl" has had two appearances in the pop charts. once in 1995 by the singer jill sobule. a completely different song by the same name is currently on the charts and is performed by katy perry. both are american.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SclQZ4W2VZ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoKPi8xtyjA

I was talking about the newer one.... goes to show how much I keep up on the "current artists" and where they are from. I could have swore she was a Brit! :-$

Johnt wrote: Winter looms in our little land' date=' and the rain falls ever like the silken hair of a beautiful lady as she brushes in front of her mirror.

Thank you my friend for releasing me from this quest to finally gain an understanding, a feeling if you will, of one of your homeland expressions. I've wondered about it for over a fortnight but now I know what, " If that isn't a load of cobblers," means. Thank you old chap, you're the best!! A-a-a-r-r-r--g-g-g-h-h-h-h!!!! matie1

You only had to ask!

Lol

have a great w/e

Read again. I bought it and it's fab.......... and it has new strings!

So when next in Bulmer' date=' it's a "12r Fest 2008". We'll dust down Robbie's 185-12, strap yourself in and off we jolly well go! (Should quite an interesting rendition of Wish You Were Here)[/quote']

Okey dokey a fest it is. Last one I went to was a Chilli fest in Cincinatti.

You need a good fest sometimes.

Right now this Tak....

I googled it and all the ones I found were black , cedar top hog sides..... that right?

The cedar reminds me of a Seagull 12 I had, that really zinged.

What's the pup?

Where's the pic?

Yes guys I know it's a Gibson forum but it's a "slow news day today"

Anyone better 324 emails in their inbox this morning?

Archived