Gibson Brands Forums

Buying gear to imitate a guitarist

Dub-T-123

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, back in the olden days you mostly just had guitars and amps to mess with, but...

I keep hearing "gear, gear, gear," and darned little on "technique."

I find it both interesting and yet hard to understand. In other threads "we" all have agreed that give famous guitarist "X" any decent guitar and/or amp/guitar/equipment combination, he/she still will sound like themselves.

So... is anybody concerned about technique other than to do what they think some famous folks are doing? I notice First Measure's note talks about "his own sound," and although he uses some "gear" to get "his" sound, he also speaks strongly about his own technique.

I use a multi-effect pedal too, but it's largely to thicken the sound of the light strings I prefer - excluding the Leslie emulator I've used in group gigs to do B3 type parts.

Just some thoughts, guys.

m

Never heard of the Hoof. Interesting name. lol

Nothing wrong with getting gear your favorite artists have, but doesn't mean they will suit you well.

I've found that out a few times.

I'm probably most guilty, and as you stated I have ran into the "doesn't mean they will suit you well" situation.... My RR LPC is a great example. I was 16 years old with $1200 in my pocket and I just purchased the guitar without even playing it, but when I got home and started noodling on it, I found it very difficult to play and basically the guitar was shelved for 20 plus years.

One thing about sig or limited gear offerings, is they have features you normally wouldn't find in standard options...

Okay, back in the olden days you mostly just had guitars and amps to mess with, but...

I keep hearing "gear, gear, gear," and darned little on "technique."

I find it both interesting and yet hard to understand. In other threads "we" all have agreed that give famous guitarist "X" any decent guitar and/or amp/guitar/equipment combination, he/she still will sound like themselves.

So... is anybody concerned about technique other than to do what they think some famous folks are doing? I notice First Measure's note talks about "his own sound," and although he uses some "gear" to get "his" sound, he also speaks strongly about his own technique.

I use a multi-effect pedal too, but it's largely to thicken the sound of the light strings I prefer - excluding the Leslie emulator I've used in group gigs to do B3 type parts.

Just some thoughts, guys.

m

Well for example I said I got the Hoof to imitate Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys. When I play their songs I fingerpick as close to Dan's technique as I can. If there's one area where I have practiced poor technique and formed a lot of bad habits it's fingerpicking. But hey it sounds good and feels right to me so I don't care.

I think it's just the nature of this forum to mainly talk about gear.

Another point to me...

When I was a "kid" - as in, up to my 50s - and even now, other than web purchases, I just don't have access to a lotta "stuff."

My guitars and amps in the old days were pretty much what I could afford for what I was doing - then a lotta swapping but never with more than "general type" in mind.

Who else played whatever didn't mean much to me then or now. I dunno.

m

Where I lived back in the 50s, 60s, 70s...

You mostly knew what people were playing by album covers and tv. At least, that's what you thought they were playing. So...

Then a lot depended on what was available where you lived. A buddy came back from back east, Connecticut, I think, and had two Ricks one fall. Sheesh.

There were some Fender amps, and I got my DR because it was loud enough. That's pretty much it. It was what I could find and what met the need. That's probably part of why I did so much guitar swapping, 'cuz I really found it hard to find a guitar that was comfortable and did what I thought I needed. Dumping the orange Gretsch and the Hagstrom 12 probably were pretty stupid, but frankly they're the only swaps I reeeeeeeally regret.

Various electronic add-ons never really were a big deal for me. My first A-Es were, but again, they were what was available.

The big change for me wasn't even so much moving around the country or traveling for work; it was the Internet and web "mail order" sites. Nowadays, if I were to become suddenly far better off than I am in economics terms, I dunno what I'd do because I don't really care to buy a guitar I haven't played.

But wanting a guitar like Chuck Berry or whomever never really was an issue. I wanted a 12, I could find a 12 that I could afford... I got it. (That's before the Byrds, btw.)

m

Yeah but I mean how would you even know what gear people used other than seeing bands live?

Obviously I wasn't around at the time but...

Now there are all kinds of forums and magazines that to give us GAS.

YEP...that's the main goal! Commerce! The more GAS they

generate, the less satisfied the consumer is, with what

he'd got, already...as great, and worthwhile as it might be,

and...the better for their "economy!" Selling,

is...obviously, the ultimate goal. Keep us wanting that new

"bigger & better!" But, of course, it's not just the music

instrument business....it's SOP in America. We're a consumer

based economy.

CB

Oh yeah CB. I definately realize that. And I have to say it's pretty effective.

Milod I'm definately in a time where I have a lot of that kindof information and in a place were I can get the goods easily. Definately a bad situation for my wallet.

Oh yeah CB. I definately realize that. And I have to say it's pretty effective.

Milod I'm definately in a time where I have a lot of that kindof information and in a place were I can get the goods easily. Definately a bad situation for my wallet.

Yeah, Dub...I (really) wasn't trying to overstate the obvious. But, I need to

remind myself, of this, whenever the "GAS" hits! These forums generate more

GAS, than over-ripe Sour Kraut, on a Saturday night. ;>) And, that's a LOT! LOL

CB

Yeah...

Me too... I've a cupla guitars - Epis - I probably wouldn't have without Gassing on this forum. <grin>

OTOH, at the time I joined there were some personal options to consider too that really made me consider "guitar" priorities.

While this sorta forum seems to increase GAS, frankly I'm not sure that it doesn't simply add possible choices for a guitar player's natural GAS to get to. For example, "in the day," I'd have been more likely to look at saving up cash for this or that big thing, a guitar or amp or PA - but now there are more $50-$100 sorts of things that attract a lotta folks - as in stomp boxes, replacement pickups, etc.

I'd just say that it seems to me that "We" have to consider more what it is that we're truly likely to use in our pickin' and do more prioritizing. For example, why get a $125 stomp box if you've only got a practice amp and hope to be playing out? Why not get the bigger amp, then consider a stomp box - which inevitably will be somewhat different in sound than with the smaller amp.

Bottom line is that there's more and better "stuff" out there, but that mostly means "we" simply have to be a bit smarter in what we spend our cash on.

m

Exactly. And, I for one, have been sorely disappointed in several "botique"

(expensive) stomp-boxes, that ultimately didn't sound any better, or do any

thing more, than my trusty old "Blues Driver," does. Didn't have a chance to

"test drive" them, as I live hours away, from the nearest GC or my favorite

dealer, so I took a chance, and did the MF thing. That's NOT to say, there

aren't good, "expensive" or otherwise, botique effects, out there. I have a

few, that I really love, too. But, ironically, One of my favorite "dirt boxes,"

at the moment, is one of Boss's oldest, and least expensive...The DS-1.

So, yeah, being more diligent, in choices, is always a good idea....IF/When you

can. ;>)

CB

I agree milod.

CB what stomboxes have you been dissapointed with?

I'm not one of those people that just hates Boss but I have to say I can't stand the DS-1. There are a lot of things I just don't like about Boss pedals in gereral but they have a few cool pedals.

I also don't think more expensive = better...

I agree milod.

CB what stomboxes have you been dissapointed with?

I'm not one of those people that just hates Boss but I have to say I can't stand the DS-1. There are a lot of things I just don't like about Boss pedals in gereral but they have a few cool pedals.

I also don't think more expensive = better...

A couple of Keeley pedals, and A Fulltone, one, as well. It wasn't that they were

bad, at all...just not "so much better," that they had to cost that much. I think

that was my "disappointment." But, live and learn.

However...I DO like the Fulltone Fulldrive, that I have. And, too...it's all in

what one wants, and/or expects, in a pedal. Maybe my expectations, are much less,

than other's? I'm not really a "pedal" freak, anyway. I only use them, now and then,

as the song might dictate, or...in the case of an OD pedal, because I cannot run the

amp, at it's sweet spot, volume wise.

I'm not saying that "Boss" pedals "rule!" Or, any such silly thing. But, I like the one's

I have. It's interesting, too...that other's have either "Loved" or "Hated" the DS-1. LOL

One described it, as "Thin and fizzy!" That is NOT a description, I would ever use, for

that pedal. Maybe mine's different, or his was faulty? Who knows? But, again...it may

be his perception vs my percieved need, too? ;>)

CB

Whilst still young (and poor!), I fell completely in love with the o-o-p Strat tones produced by the likes of Knopfler, Clapton and JJ Cale. I wanted to achieve that sound.

By the time I had saved up enough for my first 'proper' guitar the 'Vintage' market was yet to appear and so it was I could buy a pre-CBS Strat and achieve that goal.

Best decision I ever made.

P.

I think that it is quite a logical process to start with a sound you have heard from a musician you admire and then go from there.The difficulty (and breaking of the shackles) is being brave enough from this point, to question the sound you have. i.e. what would I do with this sound to make it more you?

That goes for playing too - For example when you hear someone's interpretation of a piece, if you think deeply enough, there are lots of bits you will pick up on and think 'I wouldn't phrase that bit like that' etc

I think this is a good healthy thing and not to be mistaken for arrogance, as you are saying you can play it 'better', but rather analysing it, so you can put your own creative stamp on it.

The danger of buying signature gear and becoming so involved in what the artist would do/how he/she would play etc, is you miss out on the most fun thing about music which is celebrating bring unique! After all we all are!!!

Matt

Cant say I've ever done it but thaqts probably because Im still young. I believe that instead of buying loads of pedals which sound like amps but never quite the same, you may aswell buy the real thing. It'll be much cheaper in the long run. Thats why I really want a silver jubilee. Although, Joe Bonamassa is a huge influence on me, maybe thats why I want it. Im not sure if its because I want to sound like him or because I just really love the sound of the amp.

Cant say I've ever done it but thaqts probably because Im still young. I believe that instead of buying loads of pedals which sound like amps but never quite the same, you may aswell buy the real thing. It'll be much cheaper in the long run. Thats why I really want a silver jubilee. Although, Joe Bonamassa is a huge influence on me, maybe thats why I want it. Im not sure if its because I want to sound like him or because I just really love the sound of the amp.

You know who has lots of pedals? Joe Bonomassa.

How is buying amps cheaper than buying pedals? That's ridiculous.

Guest FarnsBarns

I don't think I've ever bought anything with another musicians name on it other than 2 Les Pauls. I've never owned any stomp boxes, I do have a cry baby and a Zoom modeler but I only bought that to use as a headphone amp and have only really used it in that capacity. I hardly ever use the cry baby either.

I have three guitars right now. A Dobro and an R6 that I play and an €piphone Sheraton that had 10 year old strings on it (5 of them) until a few weeks ago when I was without my R6 for a while.

If you have the right guitar and the right amplifier everything else is really just icing. Now icing is great as long as it's on a great cake.

I teach/have taught a few friends, cousins, nephews etc to play guitar and there are some rules. They are not allowed to use effects (reverb excepted) until they can tell me exactly what piece of music they are going to use it for and why. They are not allowed a tuner until they can tune their guitar using a pitch pipe. They are not allowed strings lower than .010 until they can effortlessly, and accurately bend 1.5 tones around the 12th and then vibrato the bend.

I think in today's instant gratification society, these measures help a begginer build the foundation before they get caught up in the must have pedal with some outrageous tones that make them think they sound good with power chords and a pentatonic scale under their belt.

Archived