Gibson Brands Forums

Buying gear to imitate a guitarist

Dub-T-123

I always see people asking what gear they should buy to sound like one of their favorite guitarists. I think this is pretty pathetic but I've been guilty of doing it too.

I got my EQD Hoof because I love the Black Keys and I wanted to sound like that. It turns out it totally nails that sound but I only use it when I'm jamming on a Black Keys song with my drummer which never happens.. When I use it for my stuff, it just doesn't fit my style very well and I never use it. I think it sounds great but basically I'm not Dan Auerbach and I'm not in a cover band.

I learned a little lesson and I don't think I'll do that again. So if anyone has any pedal or something that they want to trade for my Hoof make an offer.

I'm just gonna keep buying gear because I like it from now on not because someone else likes it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't say "all" of us, have been guilty, of this...but, I know

I was, when I was starting out. I very quickly learned, that I

would/could never be, any of, my hero's. And, that learning from

them, was good, but trying to sound like them, was a fool's folly.

I've been at peace with my own "sound/style" for some time, now.

Limited, as it may be.

Admittedly, part of that, was going to see my hero's "Live," and

more often than not, finding out, what they played night to night,

solo wise, varied a great deal. That, alone, at my young age, at

the time...freed me, from the "need," to copy them, note for note,

etc. And, their sound, or tone, I noticed too...was NOT dependent

on "Gear," as they used different amps, and guitars, quite a lot,

in concert, yet still they always sounded like "themselves."

So, learn/borrow what you can, or want, from them...but, make it

your own, by adopting your own style, and differences, subtle or

otherwise. ;>)

CB

I always see people asking what gear they should buy to sound like one of their favorite guitarists. I think this is pretty pathetic but I've been guilty of doing it too. ... I'm just gonna keep buying gear because I like it from now on not because someone else likes it.

Welp, that'll be the end of all the sig items and endorsements.

Dub's bringin' down the underpinnings of the music gear business structure. B)

Milod - That mindset transcends time and circumstance.

CB - Well said. This was the first time I got a piece of gear with the intentions of copying someone and it's pretty obvious to me that it doesn't work. I can sound just like him but why would I want to do that anyways? If people want to hear the Black Keys they'll just listen to the Black Keys. I guess I thought it would work with my style as well as Black Keys style.

I've never gone for gear because it helped me sound like <insert famous guitarist> I went for my strat, or my les paul, because they sound good. I want to sound like me, not SRV.

But again I'm not one to tell you what to do, so knock yourself out going after xxxxx's tone if you want.

Welp, that'll be the end of all the sig items and endorsements.

Dub's bringin' down the underpinnings of the music gear business structure. B)

haha that's unlikely. I would buy a signature item but not to try and be just like ______.

When you're starting out it's not "Pathetic", it's a means to an end. Where better to start educating yourself on what's out there and what it does than your favorite guitarist pedal board?

And what's wrong with liking the Black Keys tone but finding it doesn't work for you?

Personal experience, When I started out I loved Jimmy Page and SRV, So of course I tried thier stuff first. Did that make me an imitator? Perhaps. Did I learn the difference between Fuzz, Overdrive, and Distortion? Yes.

Also, in the search for what makes tone, I discovered my tone. Which, oddly enough, is closer to Brian May than SRV, And Brian May was hardly an influence on my early playing. How did I arrive at a tone similar to Mays'?

I wanted some overdrive crunch verging on distortion with plenty of sustain, but still able to voice open chords. Turns out that's called Brown Sound, like Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhodes, and Brian May tend towards, but I play nothing like them.

I never would have arrived at my sound if I hadn't tried to imitate SRV and Page.

When you're starting out it's not "Pathetic", it's a means to an end. Where better to start educating yourself on what's out there and what it does than your favorite guitarist pedal board?

And what's wrong with liking the Black Keys tone but finding it doesn't work for you?

Personal experience, When I started out I loved Jimmy Page and SRV, So of course I tried thier stuff first. Did that make me an imitator? Perhaps. Did I learn the difference between Fuzz, Overdrive, and Distortion? Yes.

Also, in the search for what makes tone, I discovered my tone. Which, oddly enough, is closer to Brian May than SRV, And Brian May was hardly an influence on my early playing. How did I arrive at a tone similar to Mays'?

I wanted some overdrive crunch verging on distortion with plenty of sustain, but still able to voice open chords. Turns out that's called Brown Sound, like Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhodes, and Brian May tend towards, but I play nothing like them.

I never would have arrived at my sound if I hadn't tried to imitate SRV and Page.

As always, you make a good point.

The way I know if somethings really working for me is when I bust it out in a band situation. If it's just pure sweetness where afterwards we stop and my drummer goes "whatever that was that was really cool" that's when I know it's good. I just used my El Capistan with my band for the first time and it DELIVERED. The second I turned it on **** got real. I think that will become a big part of my sound. The Hoof was pretty neutral in a band situation for me. It rocked but it didn't inspire me the way my El Capistan and Fuzz Factory do.

That's just me though the Hoof is great and most of you guys would probably love it.

The first really good guitar I bought was a Strat because I was-and still am-a Hendrix fanatic.I bought it not so much as to copy him but I loved the sounds he got from his guitar and realized the a Strat with a vibrato would be the best way to go.Over the years I've amassed a collection of guitars of the types played many of my favourite artists,not to copy them but to try and capture the tones they got that made me like them so much.The same goes with amps and effects,Im just the ultimate tone chaser and love the tones you can get from many different guitars. I have even gone so far as to buy a left hand Strat and string it right because believe it or not that makes a difference when trying to capture Jimi's playing style.

With the vibrato arm on top you can do hammer ons with your right hand while your forearm depresses the vibrato arm and you do bends with your left hand as Jimi did in Machine Gun,something that can't done with a right hand Strat.So having the guitar turned upside down really contributed greatly to his playing style as wellas his tone.All in all I don't see anything wrong with buying the gear of those who influence you if it's their tone that you like.Having said that though to buy it just for bragging rights is just being a poseur.

I just traded my White Light for a Hoof. I hope I have a better experience with it.

Didn't you have a Hoof Reaper?

I think the Hoof sounds awesome I just couldn't really seem to work it into my band. My only complaints are that it's a bit dark for my taste and I don't really love the way it cleans up with your guitar's volume knob.

It sounds really good though especially with the output cranked. It is loud as hell too.

I wouldn't get rid of it if I wasn't strapped for cash and out of pedalboard space.

Dub, say it ain't so! Gotta rock that Dan Auerbach tone

I'd try and trade you something, but I really don't have much to trade. A lot of my pedals are going unused right now... Straight into amp, with the 2 channels working out pretty amazingly.

Honestly, with the volume knobs on my guitar I can go from clean stuff to Black Keys-ish stuff to Foo Fighters-ish stuff.

Most of my sounds are literally either the clean or dirty channel, pedals are for boosts mainly. I do want a Hoof though, those are sweet mang

I love Dan's tone but I have to represent my own style.

I want to trade it for some sweet modulation. My Fuzz Factory and Torn's Peaker keep me happy fuzz-wise. I think I'm gonna focus more on effects to use on my clean sound.

I know all about playing straight into the amp using only the volume knob and attack. I did that in my last band. I love effects though and I like having a variety of tones.

Didn't you have a Hoof Reaper?

I think the Hoof sounds awesome I just couldn't really seem to work it into my band. My only complaints are that it's a bit dark for my taste and I don't really love the way it cleans up with your guitar's volume knob.

It sounds really good though especially with the output cranked. It is loud as hell too.

I wouldn't get rid of it if I wasn't strapped for cash and out of pedalboard space.

Naw never had a Hoof Reaper but it looks dope with the octave switch and all. I think I'll dig the Hoof. I need something dark to contrast with my 90 which is pretty bright. Plus I just wasn't bonding with White Light. Twas alittle to tame.

Yeah I thought the octave switch seemed cool.

I think you'll dig it. It's dark and smooth and thick sounding. I actually thought it was a bit tame unless you push the amp a little with it's output. You could also drive it with a boost or od and it gets pretty heavy like that.

How have you bonded with the 90? I was really surprised at how much I ended up loving the Torn's Peaker.

The Hoof is also pretty distortion-like but it has some distinct fuzzy qualities. My favorite thing about it is probably the attack. It has a really cool kindof "soft" attack.

Did you see that old purple "Pagoda" Torn's Peaker on the BST a couple weeks ago? It had an oscillation switch. I wanted that thing! If I had the cash I would have just bought it and sold the one I have now.

Archived