Gibson Brands Forums

Very rare Firebird model

Geert1976

I bought a nice Firebird model yesterday.

Its a Fresher Firebird, made in Japan by Chu Shin Gakki between 1977 en 1983.

The guitar is very rare, because they were only ment for the Japanese domestic market, and hard to find in Europe en the USA.

The funny thin is, that there are built in effects (autowah, distortion and a phaser).

The guitar is built exact the same way as the Firebirds from Gibson and also used the same materials.

HPIM4054.jpg

HPIM4055.jpg

HPIM4056.jpg

HPIM4057.jpg

HPIM4058.jpg

Does this mean that the Firebird X is not that revolutionary?

(Did I just say that out loud?)

Oh and Geert, she looks really cool!

In some ways, you are correct (and I'm going to dug and cover) [thumbup]

Sweet!

That looks to share the same on-board electrics as a Strat-shaped guitar which was marketed in the UK under, I seem to remember, the 'Kimbara' name at about the same time - late '70s.

I'll try to dig out something on it later this morning to compare the systems with your (rather cool looking) Firebird!

P.

Edit : I couldn't track down the original advert, but I did find an article which was published in Guitarist magazine, Feb 2010. It was about a Kimbara 'Strat', model 182 Y, from 1978. The instrument would seem to share nearly identical circuitry to your Firebird.

Just in case you're interested:

Here are a couple of pics. Sorry about the screenclash!

KSv2001.jpg

KSv2002.jpg

In the article it is stated that "...This model also bore other brand logos, including Fresher and El Maya..." which supports the shared electrics possibility.

P.

Sweet!

That looks to share the same on-board electrics as a Strat-shaped guitar which was marketed in the UK under, I seem to remember, the 'Kimbara' name at about the same time - late '70s.

I'll try to dig out something on it later this morning to compare the systems with your (rather cool looking) Firebird!

P.

Edit : I couldn't track down the original advert, but I did find an article which was published in Guitarist magazine, Feb 2010. It was about a Kimbara 'Strat', model 182 Y, from 1978. The instrument would seem to share nearly identical circuitry to your Firebird.

Just in case you're interested:

Here are a couple of pics. Sorry about the screenclash!

KSv2001.jpg

KSv2002.jpg

In the article it is stated that "...This model also bore other brand logos, including Fresher and El Maya..." which supports the shared electrics possibility.

P.

The Strat on the photo is also a product of Chu Shin Gakki and also known as the Fresher Straighter [smile]

It has the same electronics on board.

The Strat model was also ordered at the Chu Shin Gakki factory by Rokkomann Japan and named "Elmaya"

Archived