Gibson Brands Forums

So im getting the Vox lil night train head...what cab should i get?

dem00n

For you and what I believe is your style of music - something with a closed back.

Yeah thats what i was thinking, really dont know what to get. Im up for anything really.

But i dont spend $800 for a cab when the head is only $250. [scared]

Yeah thats what i was thinking, really dont know what to get. Im up for anything really.

But i dont spend $800 for a cab when the head is only $250. [scared]

Make your own.... I did.

But I highly recommend Jet City Cabs. They are well made and I like the Eminence speakers that they come with.

A lot of people hate the matching cabinet but I don't think it's too bad and it definitely has the Vox tone if that's what your after. I use either the matching 1x12 Vox cabinet or a old Marshall 4x12 that can be played 2x12 that is also loaded with greenbacks when I'm using the Night Train.

I also picked up the Lil Night Train head and I don't like it's 10" cab so I usually play it through the larger night trains matching 12 inch V112NTcab.

the Night Train and matching 1x12 cabinet is a pretty cool small stack for $699 price.

Gotta say though both my Vox Night Train and my Egnater Rebel are sitting around most of the time now since I got my Mesa Transatlantic so make sure you try one of those also.

Any closedback cab with a Celestion Vintage 30 or G-12-L-25 should sound great.It seems that the Night Train must have been built with the V 30 in mind because that's the one most people opt for when they buy one.I'm partial to Vox and Marshall cabs because they use a wood products with better resonating properties yet are just about blast proof.

First of all - this is just my personal opinion so disregard it if you want - but I'd go with a 2x12 cab instead of a 1x12. It's got a much bigger sound and the added "bass/thump" (for lack of a better term) is probably better suited to heavier styles of music, which i assume is mostly what you play being that you're the dem00n hahaha [biggrin]

That being said, I'd go with either the Jet City or Blackstar... I've played both of those cabs (with their matching heads) and both sounded pretty decent, and are reasonably priced [thumbup]

Jet City 2x12 ($220)

Blackstar 2x12 ($300)

I personally really liked the sound of the Blackstar; but however I didn't really A/B them since they were both being played through different heads. And I'm not sure if it sounds that much better than the Jet City for the extra $80, but that's something you would have to decide on... It's all a matter of personal preference.

g00d luck!! [thumbup]

What's the difference between open and closed back?

(I hate to be the new person asking stupid questions, but I have to learn somewhere)

A closed back cabinet is pretty much what it sounds like. It's a sealed box except in the front where the speaker(s) are. Thus all of the sound goes out the front of the cabinet. This generally will give a tighter sound with more low end and obviously the sound is concentrated going forward. To some ears it may even sound muddy but that just depends on the person. Perhaps dark is a way to describe it?

Some closed back cabinets can also be ported. I use a Port City wave cabinet with one 12" Celestion Vintage 30 - it is a ported cab.

An open back cabinet is one where you can see the speaker from behind - most combo amps are open back. The sound is generally not so dark sounding. The sound from this cabinet will go out the front from the speaker but also from the back and hit the wall and bounce around. That is NOT a bad thing it's just different.

Make your own.... I did.

But I highly recommend Jet City Cabs. They are well made and I like the Eminence speakers that they come with.

I agree on this....I like my J.C. equipment.......And yes, a closed cab will sound for your styles dem00n...............IMHO....

A closed back cabinet is pretty much...

What he said, but I would also like to add that an open back will allow your drummer (if he is behind your cab) to hear you a lot better.

Or you can just point your amp directly at him like I do [laugh]

Archived