Gibson Brands Forums

1996 Epiphone Les Paul Classic Birdseye Maple top

davidb1986

So a few weeks ago I found an Epiphone Les Paul Classic with the Birdseye Maple top at a pawnshop. I had just sold one of my guitars for $300 and heard they had a cool Epiphone Les Paul from a friend. I went in there and was delighted to see a super clean 1996 Epiphone Les Paul Classic with an awesome Birdseye Maple Top. I know that finding one with only a couple of marks on it is a hard find. The guy wanted $800 and said it came with a hard case. My friend had told me that it had been in the pawnshop for over a year. I told the owner I only had $300 cash and could buy it there on the spot. Since it had been there a while he took my offer. The only problem that it had, was an easy fix. All I needed to do was re-solder the input jack wires. My question is did I get a good deal getting it for $300 with a hard case? Here is a pic of it that I took after getting it home and cleaning the dust off, but before changing the strings:

post-32377-005482100 1302140538_thumb.jpg

I'm not looking to sell it. I just want to know what it's value is, and if I got a good deal. I've seen a few since them on eBay but always forgot to see what they sold for. I know this is one of the better made Korean Epiphones as opposed to the newer Chinese ones I hear people complain about all the time.

With a hardcase I think $300 is a pretty good deal. But $800! There is no way he would have ever sold that thing for that amount.

The LPs coming out of China are, for the most part, of excellent quality. Don't believe the hype about MIK. I know first hand. Some MIK Epis are nice; others are crap. Some MIC are nice; others are crap. It just depends on many factors.

I have a MIK 1997 Limited Edition Plus top that has had a lot of problems; mostly due to it's build quality.

My MIC 2006 G400 has had no such issues.

With a hardcase I think $300 is a pretty good deal. But $800! There is no way he would have ever sold that thing for that amount.

The LPs coming out of China are, for the most part, are of excellent quality. Don't believe the hype about MIK. I know first hand. Some MIK Epis are nice; others are crap. Some MIC are nice; others are crap. It just depends are many factors.

I have a MIK 1997 Limited Edition Plus top that has had a lot of problems; mostly due to it's build quality.

My MIC 2006 G400 has had no such issues.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind about MIK and MIC Epiphones.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind about MIK and MIC Epiphones.

Just to add my 2c to the MIK vs MIC thing, there was a discussion on here last week, the main thing I took from it was that Korea was crap in the beginning too, it takes time to teach people the various crafts required to produce a good instrument, so the quality improved as the worker's skills did (same as Japanese toys, cars and electronics in the 60's), and this starting up with an inexperienced workforce was the same in China, once they worked out how to get it right, they've rarely wavered, most damaged guitars come from poor packing and shipping practices these days, when someone gets a poor guitar, it probably left the factory in perfect condition.

Oh, yeah - you did WELL on the Git! Beautiful finish, and a GOOD

price, especially with the HSC. I bought my 2006 LP Classic a couple of years

ago for $300 WITHOUT a Case off EEK-bay from a Florida Pawnshop.

I play it about 70% of the time, mostly due to the Flat D shaped neck.

Nice and slim, plays fast. The stock pups that came with it were the same pups

that came with my Epi LP studio - sounded like Mud in the Studio, but fairly decent

in the Classic (different Wood/Construction).

Stock pups: Bridge - HOTHB8B 13.2K, Neck - HB6N 8.2K, Sticker on back of pups

says "LPCLSNeck, LPCLSBridge".

Eventually, I upgraded the pups to Gibson 498T/490R and Gibson Deluxe Tuners,

just cuz I could. [biggrin]

If your Git plays like mine, you're gonna LOVE it!

I have the Amber Quilt Top, but I sure wouldn't pass on a Birdseye.

100_0308.jpg

100_0310.jpg

Thank you! I think it was a good find and good deal.

If you are happy, that's what counts. Congrats on a great looking guitar. By the way, $300 for a used guitar, in good shape, with a hard case is a very reasonable deal.

Don't believe the hype about MIK. I know first hand. Some MIK Epis are nice; others are crap.

Just to add my 2c to the MIK vs MIC thing, it takes time to teach people the various crafts required to produce a good instrument, so the quality improved as the worker's skills did

The two statements seem to go hand in had.

I remember a few comments on some of the DaeWon Guitars.

Some say they should have waited 'till Day Two.

Willy

Nice Epi.........I'm not a fan of veneer tops, ever......My Epis are all plain tops, most of my Gibbys are 3/4 Flame tops.....

I played a Gibby LP with a thick Birdseye Maple top; really nice......Just IMO.....

After buying into the MIK/MIC deal earlier I've just remembered the original point of this thread, how remiss of me.

Congrats David on finding a gorgeous Classic, I hope it proves to be a wonderful friendship between you two, HNGD mate.

And $300 is a good price. I think we paid $350 for ours.

(nice picture deleted...)

EG

Nice pic!

Does any one of you owners have any feeling that the Bird's Eye top sounds different from the normal maple? It shouldn't, but I haven't ever had the chance to ask....

Nice pic!

Does any one of you owners have any feeling that the Bird's Eye top sounds different from the normal maple? It shouldn't, but I haven't ever had the chance to ask....

Sounds like a Les Paul to me.

If I recall, last time we had it open, it's a solid mahogany body with birdseye veneer only. It does not have a full maple cap.

EG

Sounds like a Les Paul to me.

If I recall, last time we had it open, it's a solid mahogany body with birdseye veneer only. It does not have a full maple cap.

EG

That is good detail, and useful to me. You CAN tell a lot from the control rout. Thanks!

Congrats, David. Looks like you got a good deal. You and Animalfarm have some pretty good looking guitars, even if they are not blue! [wink]

Thanks man! I do have one of the new 2011 Gibson Les Paul Melody Makers on layaway in Satin BLUE!!! Plus I just got an old Hondo Deluxe 737 for practically nothing which plays and sounds good. Also I just sold a couple of my low end guitars to fund a semi-hollow guitar or an Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe in white with gold HW. After that it will be a couple of years before my fiance will let me get any more guitars.

• 4 weeks later...

Thats a mighty nice looking guitar! I must say, they sounds as good as they look! I own a 95 Les Paul with the same species top. And it may be several pieces of top, but in no way is it a ply wood top! This is a rare growth of maple, and the bigger the eyes are, the older the tree was. $300 bucks is a steal if you ask me. They are as solid as electric guitars come! my'n weighs a ton!!

Archived