Gibson Brands Forums

New SG Std. Bass

MrNylon

Thanks guys, I'm liking it a lot myself. The SG Std., (EB) is very comfortable. The light body weight feels great to play. The short scale doesn't hurt either. Kinda' classic I guess.

Beautiful graining and a great shade of red.

Congrats on yer new and fanstastic looking SG bass. [thumbup]

Thanks for the Congrats. The grain runs nice. They do turn out a quality USA Bass. I'm still liking the solid block of mahogany used for the body. My first EB0 was a 1969, back in 1970. I like this one better.

Thanks Duane, yes they did. How did you do on your Nylon strings for the Hofner? I'm thinking about using the same med. Roto strings on the SG Std.

The nut had to be cut a little and I had to go with the medium scale, but it has a nice acoustic tone to it now [thumbup]

beautiful bass and beautiful finish

Yes sir, they did a fine job on it for sure. The grain is luck of the draw. I was very lucky to walk in the store at that time. New still in the sealed Gibson carton. [thumbup]

Congrats, man! Awesome find!

That shortscale feels great, doesn't it ?

Thanks partner. Yes, it really does. I have to tell you, when I picked up my SG, the first thing that came to mind, is you went through total hell to get yours. Mine was in the back room, (unknown to me when I walked in the store). Can't figure it. I don't know.

SG Std.

DSC_0007.jpg

SG Std.

DSC_0004.jpg

Yes; really nice grain pattern in the wood. Just like my new SG Standard guitar (2011). The Cherry color looks really deep on this year's models, as opposed

to some others I've seen. Best of luck with your new SG Bass, and please watch that truss rod cover (TRC) that the same thing doesn't happen to you that

happened to me (you responded to my thread). I hope the replacement they're sending me is engraved and not painted on like yours or my former.

I just got off the phone with Gibson about that issue. I was on the other page with you and a few others about the cover. I requested an engraved cover if at all possible. I even mentioned about them stating the Gibson head is the most recognizable guitar head in the world, and then you install a cheaper cover up by the name.

I just got off the phone with Gibson about that issue. I was on the other page with you and a few others about the cover. I requested an engraved cover if at all possible. I even mentioned about them stating the Gibson head is the most recognizable guitar head in the world, and then you install a cheaper cover up by the name.

And what was their reply to this when you told them that? Second person on the same day. If we get enough people to do this, then maybe they'll start doing

it right, the way they used to. And Gibson supposedly has a copy-right on the bell-shaped two screw TRCs, so you can't even get an OEM one if you wanted to that

would make engraved ones for lesser cost. So they're really making themselves look bad with painted TRCs instead of engraving them.

I hope you get an "engraved" replacement, because that's what I said I wanted.

I know when I read you post I checked mine, and saw the decal, silkscreen, whatever. And I saw you had called, and maybe like you just mentioned, they may just scrounge up a few old ones. Honestly, to me it's still a damn EB0 i've got. But if they want to call them SG's, fine. For the cost the consumer is laying out, make one engraved cover that works with all SG models. Save money per unit that way. The Mother Of Pearl on the head stock can't be cheap. But it does look so nice with the trapezoid inlays on the fretboard. Now you have me wondering what they may send out. [biggrin]

It's not an EB-0.

I know, just kickn' it around. I had 1969 EB0 in 1970. That was $349. I don't think I remember paying to much more than that for my used cars back then.

Archived