Gibson Brands Forums

Someone (Younger?), Please Explain This, to Me....

charlie brown

Hmmmm...Interesting. Thanks, all, for the posts, and YouTubes. I guess,

they were completely off my radar, back then. But, most of the contemporary

Rock, at that time, was. I was listening to my "favorites," and "Blues,"

as well as some Jazz and Classical, back then. Still do...(Smile). But,

it's always interesting, to learn about different bands, and styles, and

what they've meant to other people, and "music," in general.

Keep it up! ;>)

CB

Some folks like dissonance.

But then, some folks like Cilantro, too.

How dare you compare beautiful noise (dissonance) with a putrid weed that should be wiped from the face of the earth (cilantro). Take it back!

Don't have much to add since most of it has already been said.

Will say that if you like pretty, refined, or safe music, the Pixies probably aren't for you. They rope you in with pop hooks and then sucker punch you with dissonant, sharp guitars. I love it and think Joey Santiago writes some very tasty parts. At the reunion tour shows all I could think was how under recognized his playing is.

How dare you compare beautiful noise (dissonance) with a putrid weed that should be wiped from the face of the earth (cilantro). Take it back!

Just when I had almost lost hope in you, you also hate cilantro! That stuff is disgusting, why people thought to put it in food is beyond me.

I dig the Pixies btw

Just when I had almost lost hope in you, you also hate cilantro! That stuff is disgusting, why people thought to put it in food is beyond me.

I hate the stuff so much. Only takes a small fleck to turn delicious curries, soups, and tacos into a mouthful of soapy, musty dishrag. Know what's worse? Culantro. My wife *loves* Vietnamese pho and when they bring the salad plate to the table it has to be pushed far away. Just the smell of that vile stuff makes me gag.

I hate the stuff so much. Only takes a small fleck to turn delicious curries, soups, and tacos into a mouthful of soapy, musty dishrag. Know what's worse? Culantro. My wife *loves* Vietnamese pho and when they bring the salad plate to the table it has to be pushed far away. Just the smell of that vile stuff makes me gag.

I hate it when small taco places put cilantro all over the place like its lettuce.

Never heard of culantro, I'll have to ask my friend about it.

Some stuff needs to be banned. Why can't the government go after that?

Don't have much to add since most of it has already been said.

Will say that if you like pretty, refined, or safe music, the Pixies probably aren't for you. They rope you in with pop hooks and then sucker punch you with dissonant, sharp guitars. I love it and think Joey Santiago writes some very tasty parts. At the reunion tour shows all I could think was how under recognized his playing is.

Yeah, I think you're absolutely correct, given my obvious, and long term preferences.

I prefer Dylan (Bob & Jacob), Chrissie Hynde, John Lennon/Paul McCartney, Paul Simon, etc. for lyrics

and hooks, dissonant or otherwise. But, to each his/her own. No problem, there...

CB

Yeah, I think you're absolutely correct, given my obvious, and long term preferences.

I prefer Dylan (Bob & Jacob), Chrissie Hynde, John Lennon/Paul McCartney, Paul Simon, etc. for lyrics

and hooks, dissonant or otherwise. But, to each his/her own. No problem, there...

CB

But Dylan Snr's harmonica playing is the mouth organist's Joey Santiago lick. Also I suspect that his nineties band took a few leaves out of the Pixies' book too. Love and have always loved the people on your list too CB! It's all good.

Cilantro rocks, South Western and Mexican Food wouldn't be what it is without it.

Ya know what else really grosses out Northerners and Easterners (at least in my experience)? Avocados! I love 'em on a cheese burger with a little cilantro [thumbup]

That said, the Pixies never reminded me of Cilantro [confused]

Cilantro rocks, South Western and Mexican Food wouldn't be what it is without it.

Ya know what else really grosses out Northerners and Easterners (at least in my experience)? Avocados! I love 'em on a cheese burger with a little cilantro [thumbup]

That said, the Pixies never reminded me of Cilantro [confused]

It's just a thing about a 10th of the population can't handle because it reacts with their mouths in some way shape or form and tastes like soap.

I've been on a real Pixies kick ever since this thread was born, been getting a lot of play time on the iPod.

It's just a thing about a 10th of the population can't handle because it reacts with their mouths in some way shape or form and tastes like soap.

Now I get it. Being embedded in the Cilantro Capital of the US I didn't realize it was so unpopular everywhere else. And I always thought it tasted "Dusty".

Now I get it. Being embedded in the Cilantro Capital of the US I didn't realize it was so unpopular everywhere else. And I always thought it tasted "Dusty".

I've always loved it. Wait, wtf are we doing let this go back to being about the Pixies - sometimes we get the most random crap going on in these threads.

LOL...Diversion! We seem to love that, for sure.

It's been interesting, and informative, too...to me, anyway.

Admittedly (from the outset) I wasn't all that impressed, by

"The Pixies," BUT...in all honesty, I didn't know that much,

hardly anything, actually, about them. You all, along with

the documentary, on Netflix, is about all I've seen, of them.

So, I'm glad I asked, really.

Maybe, for someone like me, they'll be "an acquired taste,"

or not?! Doesn't really matter...but, it is interesting,

finding out. ;>)

CB

Bottom line. If you are late 20s or early 30s, and you were into Nirvana, Soundgarden, Sonic Youth, Pearl Jam, Fugazi, and all those bands, you at least owned Surfer Rosa. I look at them in the same light as the Stooges or the Runaways. Never a huge commercial success, but tons of musicians have nicked bits and pieces of their tracks. That is kind of why they are cool to listen to. They were never on the 20 song pop station loop. Just a cool band with a sweet original sound.

And Cilantro is delicious. I wont cook Mexican food without a ton of it. Its cheap, too.

and well, theres this group of shaggy haired brats from across the pond that came in and with the simplest of music skills turned american rock on its side.

wierd.

but the pixies... meh, maybe the top 5 influential alternative rock bands. and thats a big maybe.

I enjoy a pixies tune here and there, but i wouldnt haul @$$ to the box office to secure myself a ticket to a concert.

maybe a brisk stroll, but certainly not rushing.

Ya know what else really grosses out Northerners and Easterners (at least in my experience)? Avocados!

Don't try to tell this Northerner about avocados. I make a guacamole that you'd sell your soul for. Put two serrano chilies in it so it has a touch of heat.

Cilantro is disgusting.

Avocado is delicious! Love me some great guacamole SANS cilantro [biggrin]

Pixies are awesome.

Don't try to tell this Northerner about avocados. I make a guacamole that you'd sell your soul for. Put two serrano chilies in it so it has a touch of heat.

[blush] Well then I take it back. But i swear the only people I ever met that didn't like Avocado came from the Northern Industrial States, guess I blamed the region when I should have blamed the person (or people). :unsure:

And it is easy to over do the Cilantro, but I still like it.

I like avocados and "cilantro", but what I don't understand is why everyone suddenly started calling it "cilantro".

The English word is "coriander", and this stuff has been around for years.

We'll have to trace it's migration from England, through Spain, into Mexico, and finally to Americas southern border where English Cuisine has taken a back seat to Mexican (and Chinese)food for a couple hundred years (with the exception of Cheese Burgers and Apple Pie which we can thank my German Ancestors for).

Archived