Gibson Brands Forums

New Tubes for my Blues Jr.

G McBride

Having some problems with my Blues Jr. so I bought a Blues Forever Tube set from Torres Engineering and installed them tonight.

My amp has never sounded this good. It didn't sound this good new. I would recommend this to anyone with a late model Blues Jr.

Having some problems with my Blues Jr. so I bought a Blues Forever Tube set from Torres Engineering and installed them tonight.

My amp has never sounded this good. It didn't sound this good new. I would recommend this to anyone with a late model Blues Jr.

What was the problem in the beginning?

What improvements did you get?

Started getting some buzzing noises, volume faded in and out. Poor sound quality in general. I notice one of the power tubes was glowing a lot hotter than the other one.

Improvements in sound quality are so good that it sounds as if I replace the speaker. Volume does not fade in and out now. The amp is responsive and note separation is more noticeable now. Clean is nice and clear and dirty is just nice and gritty sounding. The amp is so much more responsive to my picking.

Yes the give you the instructions on where to put each tube. Power tubes in this set were matched. Preamp set used a different tube in each of the three places. I wore a pair of brown jersey gloves handling the tubes and worked on it with the tubes cold.

Did you re-bias the amp when you changed the tubes? If not, I would suggest doing so immediately. An incorrectly biased amp can result in very short tube life. Meaning that without proper biasing, your tubes could die in a couple of months.

Other than the biasing, congratulations on the new tubes man! I just put new tubes in my DeVille and it sounds 150% better. I'm sure yours is about the same. msp_thumbup.gif

I just checked out the website and I think that is a great idea what they are doing.

Tubes sound different from one brand to another, and it sounds like they have experimented with different types to find a good sounding combo. Sounds like they know what they are doing from the little I read.

I don't know how the BJ is made, but usually an amp the uses el-84's are cathode biased. An amp the is cathode biased does not need to have the bias adjusted like a fixed bias amp (like most amps).

Did you re-bias the amp when you changed the tubes? If not, I would suggest doing so immediately. An incorrectly biased amp can result in very short tube life. Meaning that without proper biasing, your tubes could die in a couple of months.

Other than the biasing, congratulations on the new tubes man! I just put new tubes in my DeVille and it sounds 150% better. I'm sure yours is about the same. msp_thumbup.gif

Just an FYI Blues Jr. amp need matched power tubes. They do not have a bias adjustment unless the amp was modified.

I have series II Jr. I just change my tubes as well. Best thing I have done was putting a 12AY7 in V1. Smoothed the amp out very nicely. I have the Billm audio kit waiting to be installed. I need a day when no one will bother me while I solder....and right now I would rather be playing.

Hey ladies,

Just some brief info to further add my 2 cents worth

I have a 15watt pro junior in limited tweed finish from around '97

changed the standard Eminence speaker in it and replaced it with a Jensen Alnico, improvement in sound was remarkable,,, and I mean remarkable!!!!

next, replaced the 2 EL84 power tubes that were labelled Fender made made by Sovtek, replaced them with 2 Sovtek EL84 M -military spec. again the sound was improved drasticall!!

next, replaced the 2 standard "again Fender badged" 12ax7s -chinese made with one Sovtek 12ax7 WB in the V! position and Sovtek 12ax7 LPS in V2

This was the biggest improvement overall

Can't stress enough that you amps "tone" primarily comes from the pre amp tubes

As for biasing, I know for a fact the my Fender pro junior does not require biasing when changing power amp tubes as the amp from the factory is biased and set on the "hot side" deliberately

as to provide that beautiful early breakup

I suspect that the blues junior follows suite, but not sure!!!

Anyway, enough said, enjoy your amp, like I enjoy mine!!!!

I posted an extremely long response to Watersilk's thread, "The quest for perfect tone" in regards to tone and tubes

Cheers, Mick from OZ!!!msp_thumbup.gif

Archived