Gibson Brands Forums

What is it about Gibson Acoustics?

brannon67

I have been playing for 30 years now, and have played many brands, but my Gibson and Epi are the best I have played. Just love the feel, the tone, the balance, everyting about Gibson acoustics. I traded my others. I will be getting an advanced jumbo model soon. So here is my question, What is it about Gibson acoustic guitars you guys like so much over all the other brands out there?

So, what other brands have you guys tried, and when was it that you made the switch to Gibson acoustics, over all the other brands?

Learned to play on a then-brand new 1964 Gibson LG-1. It was my only guitar, until I went shopping in the early 80s for what I assumed would be a Martin D-28. After winning every A/B contest I could think of, a Guild D-50 came home with me instead. Loved that guitar for almost 20 years, but then...but then....

I kept hearing, from all my favorite records, "the sound" I was after. And lo and behold, whenever I picked up my old LG-1, I heard that sound, and I eventually put the pieces together.

So I sold the Guild (which, btw, was a lovely, albeit heavy, instrument) and found, the same day, the Gibson jumbo that sang out to me. (We are still together, in the throes of happily-ever-after.)

I have yet to hold/play a Taylor that doesn't sound like every other Taylor--clean and clear tone but lacking (imo) dynamic range. I played a couple of Breedloves with similar results--more range than the Taylors, but still more limited than the good Gibsons.

The good Martins are quite good. They are satisfying and balanced, but none growl quite enough for me.

I can't speak about "all the other brands." But I can pick out a Gibson, by ear, on almost any recording, sometimes by model. It is not that they are "better," (whatever that means); it's just that there is a distinct sound--when you reach for the bass thump, it's there; when you want 'jangle,' you can get it; when you need to express yourself with clear, crystalline up-the-fret ringing notes, you just go get 'em.

Maybe a good Gibson can be compared to your favorite dog--not necessarily a perfect fit for everyone, but it's perfect for you because it does everything you tell it to (and more) and seems to know you better than you know yourself. Those other brands? They didn't "get" me the way my Gibsons do.

Maybe a good Gibson can be compared to your favorite dog--not necessarily a perfect fit for everyone, but it's perfect for you because it does everything you tell it to (and more) and seems to know you better than you know yourself. Those other brands? They didn't "get" me the way my Gibsons do.

Anne, here's a pic of my 'old standby' Gibby WITH my 'old dog' doin' his best impersonation of Willie!

GaggieNelson-05Vig.jpg?t=1304535260

So, what other brands have you guys tried, and when was it that you made the switch to Gibson acoustics, over all the other brands?

I've owned many brands over the years. Currently, my acoustics include Gibson, Martin, Guild, Taylor and Yamaha. There's more than one reason why I always have had a Gibson acoustic in my stable. One - As I already mentioned, there's something about the bass thump that nothing out there can touch. Two - You can easily dig some nice bite out of the treble range, which also extends into the mid-range - something a lot of other manufactures can't provide. And three - though I might get flamed for this, my Gibsons all could take a beating. I'm never "afraid" or "careful" when I want to go aggressive. Even their high end guitars have a really cool blue collar, work horse, mojo vibe that frees me to bang away with abandon when the music calls for it. There's other manufacturers that I'd be concerned over pushing that hard - I couldn't just go in hard without worry and end up holding back.

That's what I love about Gibsons. B)

Anne...

<grin> First, I'm assuming you're female. <chuckle>

The first reeeeally good Gibson I had nicely identified was a girl picker named Anne who had a Hummingbird and it really worked with her voice. That was '63 my first year in college so I'm assuming that as others on the forum, you're also younger than I am. (Question: "Gee, milod, why do you hang out in a forum with so many young folks?" Answer: "'Cuz there ain't any with folks my age.")

My weaknesses have been in getting guitars for reasons other than acoustic tone. It largely was price and playabiility. Started with classical guitars for folkie/flamenco/classical and even did blues on 'em until the need arose for an electric in a rock band. Then for maybe 12-14 years I went through a "guitar of the week" syndrome like many young pickers.

So... After I got my set of first-generation Ovation AE guitars in the '70s... and most of my few electrics in the same time span, I didn't get anything new for ages.

But... even those old Ovations had more or less "Gibson style" necks. That Gibson-style neck playability has kept them in the stable with the genuine imitation 175 and Guild S100c from the same era. The only new instruments I've gotten the past decade have been a couple AE Epis (the first swapped for the second) and a Dot - both for the necks.

.... Acoustic only? Yeah, the bigger Gibsons especially have a good growl played more as strummers, especially. And I agree that there's something "blue collar vibrant" even in the pricey flattops.

Parenthetically my most musically successful guitar student had a small Gibbie to start; ended up I think mostly hauling an Ovation AE 12 when she was on the road with a band.

Yet to me it's the necks, odd as that may seem.

m

Amazingly I had a Taylor, but I soon learned this is not what I was looking for. Then I came across my first Gibson in NYC (the CW) and there was no turning back. Although Im also a big fan of Furch / Stonebridge as they are amazing guiars. Everyhing tha a high end Martin offers and more, like balance.

I am very pleased with my 2 Martins. They are simply stunningly good guitars. The D-35 has served me immaculately over the last 20 years +3 month and I couldn't continue without it (our new guitarist heard mine once and bought one the following week).

But for me it was about time to move somewhere else and 12 months back I decided to close in on Gibson (again). I wanted to get rid of a Norlin-trauma from my youth and held a feeling G. had turned the big ship. My brother who bought a S. Crowe around the millennium, gave the first hint. It was the best sounding G. I'd played for 2 decades. I won't go into details, but the walk has been more than fascinating. The Gibsons represent something completely unique - by their tone - their feel - their soul. An enigma pleasurable to investigate, challenging to try to capture. And then there is the complementary factor. They are very opposite to f.x. Martins. The 2 are not opponents in my world. They make a whole and point at each other with awe and enlightenment.

Eeeeeh, , , now let's not forget the sensual side of the situation. Gibsons as I see them /vintage as fresh/ are some of the most charismatic objects on earth - to be around - grab - figure out - play. . .

Archived