Gibson Brands Forums

Just got soldering stuff

Whatsup with da Muff?

Battery hookup sucks. Cable keeps going bad, got a new one so I'm gonna connect that today

I have an old broken DS-1 that I'm gonna practice soldering on

Then I wanna start doing some clone builds :D

Battery hookup sucks. Cable keeps going bad, got a new one so I'm gonna connect that today

Actual tips or help can maybe be provided with details of the problem and perhaps pics of your task.

The battery clip is an easy fix. You shouldn't have a problem. There lots of vids on Youtube on soldering. Watch them before you go at it. As far as supplies I suggest Mammoth Electronics. They have a super wide assortment and ship really fast. Oh and you can do alot with the DS-1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEyAv6myECs

Took about 5 minutes, but $15 at Radioshack and a few moments and she's back up and running!

Now to look for pedal builds... I'm a ****ing addict

My FAVORITE fuzz was a Meastro super fuzz. It was an FZ-1A I think. I have seen schematics on the net but never seen a clone.

It was the dirtiest, nastiest, most fuzz of any fuzz I have ever heard.

My FAVORITE fuzz was a Meastro super fuzz. It was an FZ-1A I think. I have seen schematics on the net but never seen a clone.

EDIT: it was the FZ-1S. I found it on the google. Even a clone schematic with a true bypass and a 9v adapter.

I'm looking at a fuzz rite clone type pedal for a build. I think Evol had one, and I hope he comments on how he liked it, but that might be it. Baby powder blue enclosure... Maestro Super Fuzzes are sick sounding, would love one of those or a Shin Ei. One of those two

Take the time to practice soldering thing that are junk before you start on your pedal and make matters worse or ruin your pedal altogether.

Did just that on my broken DS-1. Works great now! Couldn't be happier

i recommend starting building with a Fuzz Face or a Rangemaster: both are somewhat simple builds, and you can practice with the parts of the layout that all pedals get (the bypass switch, battery off when cord is unplugged, lighting an LED for status, ac adapter, etc.)

Have FUN! :)

Don

Hey Fred, The Tonepad link in my signature is an awesome place to start with clones. All schematics and diagrams are provided along with parts lists and you can even get pre-etched PCBs from them, just dont bite off any of the projects that have Surface mounted IC's as they are a little more advanced since you cant solder it in a socket there is higher risk of burning them out.

i recommend starting building with a Fuzz Face or a Rangemaster: both are somewhat simple builds, and you can practice with the parts of the layout that all pedals get (the bypass switch, battery off when cord is unplugged, lighting an LED for status, ac adapter, etc.)

Have FUN! :)

Don

I might be selling a few pedals in the near future and if I do, I will be picking up either a Shin Ei kit or a Fuzz Rite kit

Oh I did have fun right after I was so worried about messing something up and then it worked out ok, I was so relieved

Soldering the battery jack onto your fuzz pedal is a simple job... Stuff like soldering braided wiring to the back of a pot or soldering a pickup cover was a ***** for me... until ... I bought one of these...

http://www.toolbarn.com/weller-d650pk.html?ref=base

Now even those solders are a snap... More heat = easier soldering... just be careful not to melt any plastic or any other important object near your solder joint..

Archived