Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Japan exclusives?

RUSHian

I see the amazing Epiphones, but they say Japan exclusives. So, we can't order them in the USA?!! Some of these are awesome! Here is an Ace Frehley Silver Burst I would love to own:

Ace.jpg

and this Tak Matsumoto DC Standard Goldtop:

002.jpg

Why does Epiphone make these only for a select market? The quality of these guitars looks amazing!! Is there any distributers of "Japanese Epiphones' in the USA?!

I see the amazing Epiphones, but they say Japan exclusives. So, we can't order them in the USA?!! !

RUSHian....

That's the way I see it.

Sucks, don't it?....Remember once upon a time when you could buy an Elite/Elitist?

Hang on......think about it. Epiphone is producing some pretty nifty (and expensive) guitars lately! And...you can still become an Epi owner for $100.

Would I like to buy an Epi made in Japan?.....YES!

Would I if I could? I guess that is a question that Gibson has to live with.

Willy

Doesn't really bother me.

About the Tak DC, he requested specifically that that guitar be sold exclusively in Japan and thus Epiphone agreed to it.

I mean, sure I'd like one but I'd prefer a Genesis.

EDIT: Peter answered whilst I was typing [thumbup]

You CAN import these via secondary sellers

I'm keen on a Red Fender Mustang which is exlusive to Japan.

+1

Living in Oz %95 of my guitars are self imported, from all over the planet too, not just the US, I've had very few problems doing this, if you want it enough it's not too difficult to import one.

+1

Living in Oz %95 of my guitars are self imported, from all over the planet too, not just the US, I've had very few problems doing this, if you want it enough it's not too difficult to import one.

Your living closer to Japan- I'm way in the US.

Sometimes, the cost of importing or shipping a guitar has a lot to do with it. A lot of the Japan exlcusives exist because they work in the market because of the location. If they were to be exported, they would not only cost more but cause competition with the Gibson brand.

While it may be true that it is a protection for Gibson sales to not import some of these, the inverse is also true. Many Japanese made guitars if they were exported would then have to compete with the Gibsons, and wouldn't sell too well.

Any time there is an exclusive guitar listed, the prices may be misleading because you are seeing what that guitar cost in the same country it was made. It is not the cost of the guitar in any country. The real cost includes getting it to you.

Your living closer to Japan- I'm way in the US.

I've bought in guitars from the UK, Sweeden, Germany, Japan, Greece, Canada and the US, you are much closer to most of those places, fwiw distance has nothing to do with it, it's the desire to own it that matters, you musn't want it enough.

Sometimes, the cost of importing or shipping a guitar has a lot to do with it. A lot of the Japan exlcusives exist because they work in the market because of the location. If they were to be exported, they would not only cost more but cause competition with the Gibson brand.

While it may be true that it is a protection for Gibson sales to not import some of these, the inverse is also true. Many Japanese made guitars if they were exported would then have to compete with the Gibsons, and wouldn't sell too well.

Any time there is an exclusive guitar listed, the prices may be misleading because you are seeing what that guitar cost in the same country it was made. It is not the cost of the guitar in any country. The real cost includes getting it to you.

I pay approx $200 shipping every time I import one, it cheeses me off but it doesn't deter me, many of you guys in the US just expect everything to fall into your lap, now you see what the rest of the world has to put up with, all the time and on all the models, not just on some exclusives.

There's a heap of Japanese sellers on eBay, meestursparkle, chingo123, little.dan0408, and music-trade-jv, they're just the one's of my favourite sellers list, there are many more besides.

I pay approx $200 shipping every time I import one, it cheeses me off but it doesn't deter me, many of you guys in the US just expect everything to fall into your lap, now you see what the rest of the world has to put up with, all the time and on all the models, not just on some exclusives.

Not true. Me personally, I appreciate people who live in other places besides America. I also fully get that poeple in other places have to pay more because of the cost of shipping. PERSONALLY, I appreciate that someone would want to buy an American product that naturally cost them more that is cheaper for me because it is made here at my back door. I have a deep gratitude for that.

Also, I have a deep respect for Japanese craftsmanship, and I think in many ways they are the equal of the Americans. When a guitar is built with the same quality and effort in Japan as it is here closer to memphis or Montana, I EXPECT it to cost more here in the states, Unless I expect a cheaper guitar or that those who made it weren't sufficiently paid.

Please don't assume that being an American means being about exploitation of others. Not all Americans are about the free lunch.

Not true. Me personally, I appreciate people who live in other places besides America. I also fully get that poeple in other places have to pay more because of the cost of shipping. PERSONALLY, I appreciate that someone would want to buy an American product that naturally cost them more that is cheaper for me because it is made here at my back door. I have a deep gratitude for that.

Also, I have a deep respect for Japanese craftsmanship, and I think in many ways they are the equal of the Americans. When a guitar is built with the same quality and effort in Japan as it is here closer to memphis or Montana, I EXPECT it to cost more here in the states, Unless I expect a cheaper guitar or that those who made it weren't sufficiently paid.

Please don't assume that being an American means being about exploitation of others. Not all Americans are about the free lunch.

That's not the point I was trying to make at all, I wasn't putting Americans down at all, simply that if you want something that's only available in another part of the world Americans seem more reluctant to take that step than others.

That's not the point I was trying to make at all, I wasn't putting Americans down at all, simply that if you want something that's only available in another part of the world Americans seem more reluctant to take that step than others.

lol..sorry. It seems it might have been ME who was assuming.

I am just really surprised at the negative responces my comment seems to be generating. Really I am just clarifying to a fellow american what those in other countries deal with and already pay for.

• 3 weeks later...

[lol]

You might wanna check a map the USA is not far EAST of Japan...

Pacific-2.jpg

I got a chuckle out this one. No, the western shore of USA is only around 5000 miles east of Japan. Not far at all

aside from the ebay stores listed, another option i used to do obsessively would be an ebay search for various combinations of the following terms: elitist, elite, mij epiphone, epiphone japan, etc. or one search will lead to another and so forth. shipping is usually at least $120 or so the us, which means there are few "bargains" to be found.

I have a question about the Japan exclusives...are they actually made in Japan or are they made in the usual Asian Epi factories? I've read the Epi news announcements but nowhere in them do they state that the guitars are made in Japan, only that they are exclusive to that country when it comes to sales.

I got my (2006) MIJ '61 SG, directly from Japan...via a Japanese seller, on E-bay.

It was with free shipping, at that time, as well. Arrived in perfect condition,

via Japanese Mail Service, and the USPS. And...It was even in tune! Amazing!! [biggrin][thumbup]

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

They were made, for the Japanese Domestic Market, only. Not to be exported. That's

one reason, they could use the regular Gibson Headstock. It's a great guitar, in

all respects. They don't make them, anymore...as the contract with Gibson ran out,

in 2006.

CB

Archived