Gibson Brands Forums

Got published

canon_mutant

Just wanted to share that since I've been laid up for seven months now, I've done some writing I have wanted to do for some time but without the time to do it.

My first book should hit actual distribution on Monday, finally, once the ePub is posted. If you hit the preview button below the book image you get a nice sampling of the book's flavor as well as my reservations on writing this particular book in the preface along with the potentially scary reasons for why I chose to go ahead and write it in the headlines section. Headlines that were all in my original outline clear back in 2005-6 timeframe that have actually happened. My author's page is actually done but it doesn't activate until official distribution happens. Got 2 more in the works. Similar Sci-fi, Hi-tech, Thriller, type genre.

It won't be for everyone, but it's intense, and scarily enough it could happen.

Check it out, if you want. BTW, JJ Gregory is just an unfortunately necessary pen name to keep the crazies away.

http://www.lulu.com/product/hardcover/the-grid/15701540

Get lemons, try to make some lemonaide. Writing has certainly helped keep me sane these past 7 months . . . well as sane as I was to begin with. :wacko:

Wow, intense alright. Congratulations on getting published! And sorry that you've been laid up for a while. The book sounds like a winner and it actually got me intrigued.

Glad that you got dem00n to spell check [flapper]

Should have read it. I wasted 2 months trying to get about 100 publishers and agents interested and never got rejected, just got completely ignored. I mean, not a single one even responded with a thanks for your interest or anything. Nothing. Unlike the "old days" you pretty much have to self publish now and then if you succeed the agents and publishers come calling.

Success or fail, it's been a fun and a certainly learning experience.

I've got "my cost" books available for anyone that cares. Nearly $10 off the lulu discounted price. But you can also download the pdf directely or the ePub after Monday for much cheaper yet. I just didn't want this turning in to a "begging" thread that is forbidden in the forum rules! [-X

Thanks all. You can now download just the manuscript pdf for $7.99 if you wanna read it minus the covers. Being a first timer, would actually like some feedback. Had some up there but lulu screwed something up on the page and when they fixed it, all my thumbsups from facebook and feedback disappeared and lulu didn't have any way to restore it. [confused]

Should have the ePub up there Monday or Tuesday at the latest for those of you "insert name here"-pad readers. And of course, the special format for Amazon's Kindle.

Congratulations all!!

Enjoy the adventure!!

It's a tough world out there -- now you have to take the bull by the horns and get into the promotion end.

My 2 novels were traditionally published by small presses and sold decently well for no marketing put into it by the pub whatsoever.

I learned that self-promotion is key. Gotta call the stores yourselves to set up your book tour and so on.

Don't forget Kindle and that the going rate for an indie Kindle book is $2.99. You keep 2/3 which is great contract-wise, so don't overprice right out of the gate -- no one has real overhead on ebooks. Not like printing on paper.

I also co-wrote Writing Secrets & Publishing Secrets with my co-op, LDSStorymakers, Inc. Might still be on Amazon.

And it's not true you can't break in. You DO need an agent for large houses and it IS hard to get past the slush pile. But I had 2 contract offers on my first novel in its niche market before I was quite finished writing it.

Connecting with people who know what you are all about, who can root for you, is also important. I made connections - online - in 1999, without quite realizing I was doing it - and my first 3-4 publications came to me, including the book offers. Then, I published the first short story I ever submitted - cold - to the first lit magazine I sent it to.

I've had my share of rejection letters too. Shrug them off, keep trying, study and work at your craft.

That said, there is a lot of junk you see out there about Being an Author that is just false .... as in Stranger Than Fiction -- fun movie but no way on earth is any pub going to hire an assistant for a writer who hasn't kicked out a book in 6 years. Now - to keep JK Rowling on schedule for book 7? Maybe. But unless you are the cash cow of the moment don't even think about it.

Same in Cheaper by the Dozen. The pub would not have scheduled a huge tour for the wife with ultimatums of tour, or no book, with the media junket all on board. You don't get the Today Show for your first book. Does not happen on an untried, non-celebrity author. Not till you make them some major moolah in sales receipts.

The creativity may be art, but it is a ragged business just like the music industry.

I still have to make the time to format & put my books up on Kindle.

Meanwhile preview here: sci-fi/supernatural thriller type:

http://www.lindaofficial.net - click the books button.

I used to freelance edit for aspiring writer clients, but have no time anymore.

Apologies for any typos - typing mobile on a tiny keyboard and tiny screen :-) ... I don't worry about proofing so much on forums anyway, LOL. ^_~

Linda

Congratulations all!!

Enjoy the adventure!!

It's a tough world out there -- now you have to take the bull by the horns and get into the promotion end.

My 2 novels were traditionally published by small presses and sold decently well for no marketing put into it by the pub whatsoever.

I learned that self-promotion is key. Gotta call the stores yourselves to set up your book tour and so on.

Don't forget Kindle and that the going rate for an indie Kindle book is $2.99. You keep 2/3 which is great contract-wise, so don't overprice right out of the gate -- no one has real overhead on ebooks. Not like printing on paper.

I also co-wrote Writing Secrets & Publishing Secrets with my co-op, LDSStorymakers, Inc. Might still be on Amazon.

And it's not true you can't break in. You DO need an agent for large houses and it IS hard to get past the slush pile. But I had 2 contract offers on my first novel in its niche market before I was quite finished writing it.

Connecting with people who know what you are all about, who can root for you, is also important. I made connections - online - in 1999, without quite realizing I was doing it - and my first 3-4 publications came to me, including the book offers. Then, I published the first short story I ever submitted - cold - to the first lit magazine I sent it to.

I've had my share of rejection letters too. Shrug them off, keep trying, study and work at your craft.

That said, there is a lot of junk you see out there about Being an Author that is just false .... as in Stranger Than Fiction -- fun movie but no way on earth is any pub going to hire an assistant for a writer who hasn't kicked out a book in 6 years. Now - to keep JK Rowling on schedule for book 7? Maybe. But unless you are the cash cow of the moment don't even think about it.

Same in Cheaper by the Dozen. The pub would not have scheduled a huge tour for the wife with ultimatums of tour, or no book, with the media junket all on board. You don't get the Today Show for your first book. Does not happen on an untried, non-celebrity author. Not till you make them some major moolah in sales receipts.

The creativity may be art, but it is a ragged business just like the music industry.

I still have to make the time to format & put my books up on Kindle.

Meanwhile preview here: sci-fi/supernatural thriller type:

http://www.lindaofficial.net - click the books button.

I used to freelance edit for aspiring writer clients, but have no time anymore.

Apologies for any typos - typing mobile on a tiny keyboard and tiny screen :-) ... I don't worry about proofing so much on forums anyway, LOL. ^_~

Linda

Wow, all very helpful and thanks. Yeah, I mentioned "ePub" generically as I am having standard ePub, the iPad hooks put in, and the Kindle version.

Glad you were able to break in but there are SO many fly by night pub houses and agents now that I was only approaching ones that were known and trusted and like I said, never got a single rejection letter, just never got any responses period.

So, best case, this book or either or both of the other two I am already working on will self-sell and then you know they will come calling.

Again, thanks for your insights . . .

Garth AKA JJ

Dayamn, I'm already number one on the Lulu Sci-Fi list. And the book really hasn't even reached "actual" distribution yet. Only people that happen to accidentally stumble over it on Lulu have bought it so far plus a few friends, e-friends, etc.

http://www.lulu.com/browse/books/science_fiction_fantasy/7/LULU00030/top_100

Anyone want a cheap copy? You can download just the manuscript minus the cover art for $7.99 off of Lulu but PM me if you're interested in a hardcopy and I can send you one at my cost out of my own stock via paypal. Just doing this for friends and e-friends. Would be $25.24 with USPS priority 2 day shipping included and I'd even sign it for you if you want - or not :-). As compared to Lulu's $29.59 price plus their S&H charge. Likely saves you about $10.

Still don't have the ePub posted yet. Well, had it up but there was confusion over the ISBN number in it that is now fixed.

Should be back up tomorrow sometime for any [insert name here] - PAD devices except Kindle.

Still PO'd I lost all my reviews and facebook thumbsups on the last Lulu page screw up that happened. Need to get some more back up there.

Kindle version is done but will likely just post on Amazon because of their Kindle proprietary ownership rights. That's probably going to be a week or two yet along with general distribution.

kinda cool . . . [thumbup]

Archived