Gibson Brands Forums

went to best buy to look a guitars

pete c

Yep, they usually locate the musical instrument shop in the back of the store so you've got to walk past a lot of stuff to get there.

I've purchased three guitars from Best Buy. If you can keep tabs on their stock and prices they often deeply discount old stock. They can't usually advertise the deep discounts because of dealer agreements regarding MAP. So keeping up can really pay off in savings.

I didn't know Best Buy had guitars.

Some of the Best Buy stores (not all) have a musical instrument shop inside the store. In my local, the musical instrument shop is walled up with separate entrance inside the store. They've got agreements with dealer Gibson, Fender and some others. Amps, pedals, software, drums, keyboards, PA, speakers, accessories. None of their Gibson guitar stock is online.

Musical Instrument store locator - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Audio/Musical-Instruments/abcat0207000.c?id=abcat0207000

Yep, they usually locate the musical instrument shop in the back of the store so you've got to walk past a lot of stuff to get there.

I've purchased three guitars from Best Buy. If you can keep tabs on their stock and prices they often deeply discount old stock. They can't usually advertise the deep discounts because of dealer agreements regarding MAP. So keeping up can really pay off in savings.

Agreed the had a Vox AC30-CC2 at my local BB and it was going for $300. I went back the next day and it was gone. :(

Yea my BB had a Flying V Guitar of the Month for about a year. I played it a few times, nice

Super 400 in lays had a Fire Mist look. The salesman said it was sold for under a grand.

Should have bought it.

darn computers they get you every time. i could have bought a couple of l.p.s and at least a marshall bluesbreaker and maybe a stack with all the dimes i've droped on comps. the geek shall inheret the earth. i hate those guys. i know i should have beat up on them more in school. i didn't need a computer for the first 20 some years of my life now they convenced me if i don't have at least five i'm going to die. all you need is rock n roll.

Nice score!! What all does it have in it? Video card, CPU and RAM....

(Sorry about the -1 pete... I was clicking +1 and screwed up :( )

I plussed him back up [wink]

My friend has that same computer, its sweet... for a PC based operating system instead of a Mac [laugh]

thanks for the pluses, its a pretty cool pc came with wireless mouse and keyboard. AMD Athlon™ II Processor / 20" Display / 4GB Memory / 750GB Hard Drive

not sure what the video card is. the touch screen is cool, although i played solitaire and my arm got tired [biggrin]

... the touch screen is cool, although i played solitaire and my arm got tired [biggrin]

[scared]

I'll be nice Pete but you can't type stuff like this on the internet - I thought of at least 50 inappropriate comments and bad jokes that were very hard to ignore like I said I'll be nice but you can't make it that easy! [blush]

[scared]

I'll be nice Pete but you can't type stuff like this on the internet - I thought of at least 50 inappropriate comments and bad jokes that were very hard to ignore like I said I'll be nice but you can't make it that easy! [blush]

yea i know i left the door wide open on that comment as soon as i hit reply [thumbup]

and im really surprised and maybe a little disappointed by the lack of inappropriate comments. [biggrin]

Thanks for fixing my screw up fellas!

And yes... uhm... "solitaire" is one of the benefits of a new PC. there are lots of... solitaire... websites out there that will likely look MUCH better on that 20" screen.... runs smoother with 4 G of RAM too.

/chuckle

When BB was pushing reward points I always saved up and used my points for a pack of strings.

I almost bought a red MIM tele but decided not to.

As far as knowledge of the sales - it's like any other place some know what they're talking about others are just learning but talk like they know what they're talking about.

I'm sorry while I have never seen guitars at Best Buy it just cheapens the entire experience for me. Its like Sears selling guitars; retail stores that sell home appliances have no business trying to sell musical instruments. I bet the staff is even more clueless than that 18 year old at Guitar Center....

An understandable perception. And everyone should be shopping where they trust the shop and staff.

But I'd like to point out that Best Buy's approach is a bit different then you'd expect. It's not - "let's take a corner of the store, hang a sign from the ceiling, put guitars and amps on the shelves, with sales service from any of the floor clerks, and move the stock like washing machines." In my local, BB is running it like a most music shops. The inside of the shop looks more or less the same as any of the music shops in my area - sound quieting amp room, climate controlled acoustic room, computer area to check out software, etc. It doesn't have a huge selection, but will try to order anything you want. In fact, my favorite local shop Elderly Instruments (yep, same metro area) has sent some staffers over to BB to investigate as the word got out locally the BB shop was good, with some great deals. While I can't speak about all BB's Musical Instrument Shops, I happen to know a couple of the guys that work at my local BB in the Musical Instrument Shop - they are musicians in their late 20s. They only work in the music shop, not the entire store. The shop is walled off inside the store with its own entrance. Sales registers are in the shop - it's self contained and has it's own manager.

The local purchases in my current stable include four guitars and a head/cab rig from Elderly, and three guitars from BB. And honestly, I got the best deals at Best Buy (no pun intended).

I'm sorry while I have never seen guitars at Best Buy it just cheapens the entire experience for me. Its like Sears selling guitars; retail stores that sell home appliances have no business trying to sell musical instruments. I bet the staff is even more clueless than that 18 year old at Guitar Center.....

Next time you're in Nashville, make the trip to Best Buy in Goodlettsville. It's worth the trip.

GREAT music store inside an electronics store, run by a guy who's played with everyone.

Archived