Gibson Brands Forums

Why is Fender better than Gibson?

Tim Plains

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For Rock' date=' I don't think anything can beat the raw power of a Les Paul or an SG plugged through a Marshall stack... for blues however, a 62 Strat is way better than any Gibson, ES-335s come close but it's just not the same.[/quote']

Well, that's the beauty of opinions. I'm more partial to the blues masters who play Gibson, from the many with the surname of King, to other favorites like Little Milton. You can go with a Strat if you like, but to me there ain't no wailing, crying woman tone coming from anything other than a front position humbucker with the tone knob rolled back most of the way in an overdriven tube amp to play my blues, solid or hollow body.

That's my tone and I'm stickin' to it.

Why I play a Gibson:

I realized shortly after I started playing guitar that every player I really liked (acoustic or electric) plays or played a Gibson most of the time.

Even Clapton's best stuff was done on a Gibson in my opinion. Jeff Beck too.

They simply sounded better than other players despite differing playing styles. The only common factor? Gibson on top of the headstock.

Everything else sounds so thin and tinny compared to a Gibson.

Even when I listen to the Stones, I can tell when Keith is playing his ES-335.....just sounds better.

Well' date=' that's the beauty of opinions. I'm more partial to the blues masters who play Gibson, from the many with the surname of King, to other favorites like Little Milton. You can go with a Strat if you like, but to me there ain't no wailing, crying woman tone coming from anything other than a front position humbucker with the tone knob rolled back most of the way in an overdriven tube amp to play my blues, solid or hollow body.

That's my tone and I'm stickin' to it.[/quote']

Yup!

BUT...

I'll take my R4 and my 18 watt Reinhardt any day of the week!

number_one.jpg

I consider myself blessed to own both Gibson and Fender guitars. For distortion and some clean applications my SG Standard is the only way to go. For other applications I really like my Strat or Tele. I'm not sure why, but I always feel like I should be picking one over the other. Maybe its because so many other people are able to stand up and say this is all I want to play, be it Gibson or Fender. I tend to like the feel of a Strat neck better until I plar bar-chords, and at that point I like the flat fretboard on my SG. I will say that although I don't own a Gibson accoustic, I like them better than any other accoustic. I tend to pick up a Dove or Hummingbird when I go to G.C. and there is just nothing else like it for me when it comes to tone or feel.

awesome man! Congratulations... how does it play and sound?

Don't want to hijack the thread...

oh wait...

I am taking some better pics and will post them in the lounge. GREAT GC story to go along with it, but in short it is the most amazing Strat I have ever played O:)

• 2 years later...

Archived