Gibson Brands Forums

'56 Gold Top

Mojo Tooth

Hello Guys.....sorry to just wander in and ask advice but I don't know where else to turn.

I have a chance to pick up a 56 gold top reissue but it is one of the Chinese made versions.

I have heard bad things about the Chinese made Gold Tops, do any of you guys know first hand if the Chinese versions are any good?

Is there any reason why the Chinese version would be worse than the others?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

the guitars coming out of china now days are excellent compared to years and years ago. people are still in the mentality that just because its from china its cheap and no good. this couldn't be any more wrong. Sure there may be a dud chinese guiter but there are also duds from the USA and all other places. Play it and if its good buy it! [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

P.S. i have an EPI 57' GT Reissue from china and its flawless

Thanks for the thoughtful responses.

Generalizing on a broad scale is not my normal approach to things. I'd have to say it was the Walmart/Chinese junk connection that had me headed in that direction. [biggrin]

I completely understand the "try it first" suggestion, and that is what I'll be doing.

I get 24 hours with it to make my decision and I'll be getting it Thursday.

I'll be sure to come back and let you all know how it turned out.

Thanks again. [thumbup]

Just a thought on MADE IN CHINA:

The Chinese are actually capable of making things of high quality and do possess a high degree of manufacturing technology. It is up to the importers who tell them what they want and how much it is going to cost, and HOW GOOD to build it that we often experience here in the US.

They just rolled out a STEALTH fighter jet. If you think it is a hoax, google "JS-17".

Likewise, regarding copies and the ethical practices by those who make forgeries, that is NOT a representation of how all Chinese people do business.

Just a thought on MADE IN CHINA:

The Chinese are actually capable of making things of high quality and do possess a high degree of manufacturing technology. It is up to the importers who tell them what they want and how much it is going to cost, and HOW GOOD to build it that we often experience here in the US.

They just rolled out a STEALTH fighter jet. If you think it is a hoax, google "JS-17".

Likewise, regarding copies and the ethical practices by those who make forgeries, that is NOT a representation of how all Chinese people do business.

Understood, and thanks for the input.

O.K. I'm going to date myself here but I remember when anything that said "made in Japan" was considered cheap junk and nothing more. It took 30 years for that mindset to slowly change based on product improvement. Now, what comes to mind when you hear a guitar was manufactured in Japan? Where are the Elitists made?

Just as with any startup process, whether outsourced or not, there is a learning curve because despite automation there still exists a human element. The early Korean guitars were not of the same caliber of those coming out a few years later (and that are now sought after as being superior to Indonesia and China models). The same applies to the Chinese plants. They've entered a new generation where now their quality is every bit as good as their Korean counterparts.

I had an Epi ES-175 MIC-2010 whose fit, finish, tonality and playability were absolutely amazing (particularly given it's price point). As well, my Epi LP Standard is MIC and it's still one of my fave guitars. It's had zero issues and looks as good as it did the day it left the plant.

So, the China stigma is quickly eroding and consequently presents to us a quality product at some pretty affordable price points.[thumbup]

I surely do love my MIC '56 Goldtop, Mojo ... I hope you like the one you get to play as much! Good luck ...

Sany0030.jpg

Jim

I have to admit..The extra sparkly on the EPI goldtops really gets to me. I'm kinda wanting one based on that.

Hey guys......I got the Gold Top Thursday and gigged with it last night.

I'm very impressed with the fit and finish of this thing and even more impressed with the amount of Mojo it had to offer. I think we will be getting along vey well in our new relationship.

Thanks for your advice and info, it was helpful.

Here are some pics of the beauty from the place I bought it from.

My link

PS:The guy @ Guitar and Effects.com was very prompt, courteous and professional and I will be doing business with him again.

Archived