Gibson Brands Forums

How to select the best guitar guidelines

ironlung40

Hello, I know there have been some topics on this in the past, but nothing as specific. So here goes.

I would like to discuss how to in theory walk in to a guitar shop and choose the best guitar if you were comparing 2 or more of the same model. I know feel and sound play the largest role, but I'm looking for the small details that can be an indicator of a gem or a lemon.

Neck....how do you know it is not twisted warped or has a problem that an adjustment may not fix?

Woods....in this example I'm most interested in Gibson mahogany non weight relieved like the SG line

2 piece vs 1 piece debate

Grain----do certain patterns typically indicate a better piece of wood

weight---for non weight relieved guitars like the SG, is a heavier guitar an indicator of a denser wood, and therefor better tone?

I recently was around 4 61 reissues in a shop, and we weighed em all.....the lightest was a 1 piece at 6lbs 10oz and the heaviest was a 2 piece at 7lbs 8ozs

with the wood question I offer these pictures:

this guitar has a more pronounce grain pattern but is a 2 piece

1016.jpg

this one less pattern but it is a 1 piece

1006.jpg

what other factors should one look for?

thanks for any wisdom

With electrics, I look for loud acoustic sound. For example, I could hear my Les Paul over the Saturday Afternoon Shredders at Guitar Center. That told me the wood would be very resonant, and the guitar was likely a keeper.

At this point for me picking a guitar breaks down like this

90% feel That's how if feels in my hands.

7% "Tone"

3% Looks

If it feels right in my hands than I can get a good sound out of it no matter what it's made out of or what pickups it has.

I prefer the second one posted not because of the 1 piece body (but that is a plus), but because of the grain, I don't like the streaky dark grain in the first one on SG, that's me. Nothing tells more than picking up the guitar in your hands and play'n with her. Does she play easy or do you have to fight with her, does she sing to you, check for buzz and dead spots, how's the action/setup, Do a simple test, fret the low E on the first fret and where the neck meets the body and look at the space between the sting which forms a straight line and the top of the frets around frets 7 thru 12, there should be some space not much about the same as the thickness of the E string. Ask the sales staff to raise or lower the action if needed to suit you. Then plug her in and check that all the electronic function on a clean setting, when she is nice and warmed up, you can then crank it to hear her scream. The weight can't tell you much without play'n her.

Acoustic tone

Weight

Number of Pieces

Grain orientation

I can't say in that order, because I have to order online.........

I hate the grain orientation on the first SG. The second SG looks much better IMHO....I don't like the ribbon pattern in the wood.

Hello, I know there have been some topics on this in the past, but nothing as specific. So here goes.

I would like to discuss how to in theory walk in to a guitar shop and choose the best guitar if you were comparing 2 or more of the same model. I know feel and sound play the largest role, but I'm looking for the small details that can be an indicator of a gem or a lemon.

Neck....how do you know it is not twisted warped or has a problem that an adjustment may not fix?

It's pretty easy to tell if it IS twisted or warped or otherwise problematic. Loooking up and down it from each end helps, and playing notes across the fingerboard will help you find the "bad" spots. None of this makes it not a keeper though. The other half is that you can't tell if it WILL twist or warp, not dried correctly, bound too soon, stuff like that that crops up two, three years later.

Woods....in this example I'm most interested in Gibson mahogany non weight relieved like the SG line

2 piece vs 1 piece debate

There is no debate, there is no vs. If you want a 1 piece, that's what you want. There aren't any facts or history to make that a better choice or decision. Fact is, two or more pieces glued together means less chance of curling or warping. Insofar as construction methods, a 1 piece is actually inferior. Don't believe me, ask Suhr, Tyler, any of them guys. Aside from luthier type stuff, there are great sounding one piece, two piece, ten piece guitars. And there are also crappy sounding of each. It doesn't matter.

Grain----do certain patterns typically indicate a better piece of wood

Well, there are all sorts of guitars that have made some of the greatest sounds ever recorded that don't have visible grain. I don't suppose anyone could ever say this is the maker or breaker of a great guitar.

weight---for non weight relieved guitars like the SG, is a heavier guitar an indicator of a denser wood, and therefor better tone?

I've owned absolute logs that sounded like heaven and uber lightweights that sounded like crap. Weight is yet another tree barked up often and, for the most part, inconclusively.

I recently was around 4 61 reissues in a shop, and we weighed em all.....the lightest was a 1 piece at 6lbs 10oz and the heaviest was a 2 piece at 7lbs 8ozs

You can weigh all the guitars you want, there is no historical evidence to make your choice right. If you want a featherweight, buy one and use it if it sounds good. Don't dismiss heavy ones, don't expect all the light ones to be great.

with the wood question I offer these pictures:

this guitar has a more pronounce grain pattern but is a 2 piece

this one less pattern but it is a 1 piece

Yeah, but how are they as guitars? Could be total logs, right? Complete bricks of no tone, or sproingy, spankety good sounding examples of Fine Gibson Guitarage. Nothing at all to be gained from a picture.

what other factors should one look for?

thanks for any wisdom

My only wisdom after buying, using, fixing, trading, and selling guitars since 1971 or thereabouts is to not, as it appears, just sayin, it looks like, yer sorta fixated on this one piece thing. You are right to want what you want, there can be no doubt about it. I just don't think, in my experience with the two major electric guitar makers in this country, that there is any historical or luthiericalistic* reason for it. You want it, and that's enough. Let the great guitars just show up, try them all and don't be surprised if what you WANT isn't exactly the best one in the pile of the same ones. It will be the best because you want it, and that is a good enough reason.

rct

*That's right, I did just invent that word. Your** Welcome.

**Yes, I did edit this, but only to indicate that I see that I used the wrong form of You're.

I can never emphasize enough, go play it. I played my Strat for a good 3 hours before I made the purchase (3 different occasions too). First time I was blown away, second still blown away, third, still. That's how I knew she was a keeper (and I am still blown away by how awesome this guitar is today).

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm with ya on the feel thing...that's my #1 at this point.

As for the neck question, I can see a bow, or twist in necks, so it's not that I'm not able to discern this, it's just that I was asking if there are any signs that it would be bad enough that a truss rod adjustment wouldn't fix it. and a little bow is a good thing, but how much is too much?

As for the acoustic resonance, the 1 piece has a brighter treblier snap to it and is a little louder, but when plugged in to an amp, it almost sounds nasally and thinner. the 2 piece sounds bassier and fuller by comparison, but without as much top end snap. (pickups are set to same height too) So I guess that is a preference thing too. the neck on the 1 piece is not nearly as good though...

I really appreciate the comments. Please keep em' coming.

Ironlung [thumbup]

Don't be embarrassed to try tons of guitars and then tons more. That is a good way to find out what your tastes are. Choose an amp model to always play through and always set the eq the same way every time so the amp isn't fooling your ear with a camouflaged tone. Be super patient and happy hunting. Buy used if you can! If you're talking about buying a Gibson, you can save some serious bucks buying used.

My Personal way of selecting a guitar is find the amp you use at home (in the store) and then find the one that makes you drool and wish you were single and could still afford it. Then play it, then find another one and play that keep going until youre in love with one or as human nature dictates you go back to the first one and imagine it sounded better than the others. If there are two of the same model check your intonation and playability ( they should be perfect I have just watched a Gibson youtube video where they were all perfect :P)

Also go to the right store one who will back you if something goes wrong. I know for a fact my store opens each case plays the guitar and if its not up to standard sends it back. Its all in the feel my friend what is gold to you might suck to me or another.

Archived