Gibson Brands Forums

I am in love with this little head

Enmitygauged

Man that thing is $950 here and you paid another $500 ontop of that, sorry but thats way too much for a lunchbox amp, I would put it on par probably with the Tiny Terror Dual which is only $799 and is still too pricey, anything more then $500 for a lunchbox amp is asking a little too much in my honest opinion. The sound better be so awesome it makes you cream your pants for that price.

Here is AUS it retails for 1999.00 a dual rec is 3999 we get massively ripped off for amps and guitars for that matter

You are right of course. I don't reject an amp at all based on the number of knobs, nor do I embrace an amp based on the number of knobs. Mesa, however, the one I owned, the two I've used out, and the Heartbreaker I came ---> <--- close to buying, has too many knobs for the sound you get. In my experience, you can get that sound with a gain, another gain, a mid, and a master.

And I'd use that little SOB or MKII or whatever it was back then for three nights in the same bar, same telecaster or firebird or whatever I was using, three very different settings for each night. Weird. And I'm not alone, there are lots of guitar players for whom they just don't work. It's all good though, more Mesas for them that loves 'em, more of the rest of the other amps for those of us that don'ts.

rct

This amp is power in a can with as little amount knobs as possible it doesnt even have mid. If you take away the amp power toggles it has a gain bass treble and volume for each channel. As far as the back of the thing and we all know MESA loves to add stuff on the back of their amps it has 4 ohms 8 ohms and a fuse thats it! simple.

The amp has 4 distinct sounds I wouldnt say 5 as the Boogie (hi2) is only marginally different from the Hi1 (Marshall sound) what I love is it the first amp Including my orange, MESA dual rec and HRD that make a clear distinction on all my guitars. Ok the Tele always sounds different but the 335 at hi gain and the les paul on the Dual rec or HRD would be really hard to pick a difference. This is clear sound. I think the only way to describe it is that you get the sweet spot of the amp with a volume that is still able to easily hear all the nuances. It packs well enough punch for a rehearsal and more than enough for the venues I play in a punk band without having to literally push my hernia back in and without destroying the sound mix to get the sweet spot from the Dual Rec. .

Ive played great amps with alot of knobs and a few knobs, they are both great. Rejecting a amp with alot of knobs is stupid, might as well reject redheads and date only blondes.

Blondes generally have nicer knobs...

Here is AUS it retails for 1999.00 a dual rec is 3999 we get massively ripped off for amps and guitars for that matter

Holy Crap thats just retarded, makes it seem like they have to fly it to another planet, I should import this stuff to Australia and "fix" the market, hahahahaha. I got a chance to play with one last night at Long and McQuade and it is a really nice amp, if the Orange Dark Terror wasnt coming out at the end of May I would consider it, but the DT has a new higher gain preamp and finally a factory valve driven FX loop. Should cater to my inner demon! Should just save myself the hassle and just grab a Night Train, Transatlantic, Dark Terror and a Marshall Haze, and just daisy chain them all together for the ultimate tone.

Boy, this one has gone down hill fast.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'm biting my tongue on this one.

Ha ha

um to add to the debate here are some pics of my songwriter and my sales rep from work modeling with it for me. Enjoy

b1896fe9.jpg

b74d0bb6.jpg

2d1671fa.jpg

Holy Crap thats just retarded, makes it seem like they have to fly it to another planet, I should import this stuff to Australia and "fix" the market, hahahahaha. I got a chance to play with one last night at Long and McQuade and it is a really nice amp, if the Orange Dark Terror wasnt coming out at the end of May I would consider it, but the DT has a new higher gain preamp and finally a factory valve driven FX loop. Should cater to my inner demon! Should just save myself the hassle and just grab a Night Train, Transatlantic, Dark Terror and a Marshall Haze, and just daisy chain them all together for the ultimate tone.

Ha youre welcome to. bring some civil prices to guitars here. I liked the DT but it had just a little bit to much gain for me I had trouble getting the sound I was looking for. Otherwise awesome amp. The MESA was made to hit the sound I wanted

The Transatlantic is an amazing little amp... I still wouldn't pay that price for a lunchbox amp either. I didn't like the Tiny Terror when I tried it. Don't know why, I just don't care for it. The Night Train is cool and I also found that while it's not as nice to look at the Traynor Dark Horse is really cool too. I haven't tried the amps Marshall has sent into the low wattage arena, but I expect they produce a tone you'd expect from Marshall.

One thing I've noticed though, is that the more bells and whistles on an amp, that more that can go wrong with it, and the more that can go wrong, the more hastle. When I get around to finding myself a little amp for kickin around the house I plan to get something fairly simple... single channel, volume, bass, mid, treble controls... maybe master volume, but I'd be fine with a non-master setup if the wattage is low enough I can get the tone I want without shattering the windows in my home.

That being said, I'm extemely interested in the low wattage heads by Blackheart.

Laney have some sensibly priced offerings in the low wattage all-valve arena at the moment. I was about to get a laney Cub 12 but bought a new guitar instead! (Now I need to start saving again).

Why did you quote that? [blink]

I almost threw up posting that the first time

Sure, you can quote me. I think the Car Talk guys posted an instructional sheet on how to give a proper dope slap. Might want to read it so you know what to expect [wink]

Sure, you can quote me. I think the Car Talk guys posted an instructional sheet on how to give a proper dope slap. Might want to read it so you know what to expect [wink]

I'll wear a helmet

Btw, I want to congratulate us on a successful thread derailment. Internet high fives all around

Archived