Gibson Brands Forums

Dissapointed...

chase1410

Hey everyone..I bought my self a little present a week ago, using a 12 month interest free payment plan...So i got me a Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue...An iconic amp that has been featured on countless records...My question is..Why?..This amp BLOWS...and my 400$ cheaper MIM Fender Hot-Rod Deluxe completely destroyed it...The clean channel on the DRRI was good, but nothing spectacular..Sounded just like my FHRDX except with NO bottom end..Now heres the real smack in the face...You guys all know I'm a pedal addict, and this how I get my dirt tones...Any dirt pedal you put through the DRRI turns into an instant shitty fuzz...Every dirt pedal I have sounded like a cheap fuzz...My low gain ods..my OCD, Wampler Pinnacle, and my favorite dirt pedal of all time..the Greenhouse Fx No Brainer was just turned into another shitty buzzy fuzz...After about an hour of playing it, I packed it back up, and am now waiting till Tuesday to talk to AMS about an exchange...I'm gonna try the Fender Super Sonic 22...Same price, and if that doesn't suit me, well then I guess I'm stickin with my faithful Hot-Rod..I don't get how this has so many positive reviews and is so iconic...So away it'll go on Tuesday and I'll try again..

Sorry to hear you're not happy.

Lesson learned -

Next time, bring a couple of your pedals with you and plug 'em in to see how they sound with the amp before you buy it.

Aye..the thing is though I only have one decent local guitar store near me..So most of my equipment has been off the internet..I never have enough money to spurge it all, So I have to find company's that offer 0% interest payment plans..I was also figuring, since my other fender acted so well with pedals, I just kind of assumed...So lesson learned!

Never bought one for that reason. When I was buying an AC30 the store owner told me the fender deluxe couldn't take pedals.

He usually doesn't know much, he just says things... sounds like he was right on that one though...

Hope the super sonic works out better.

Never bought one for that reason. When I was buying an AC30 the store owner told me the fender deluxe couldn't take pedals.

He usually doesn't know much, he just says things... sounds like he was right on that one though...

Hope the super sonic works out better.

Yep he was dead on with that fact...After testing it out, I went searching for other reviews, and some other people were saying the exact same thing as me..Wish I would of read those reviews before purchasing.. :rolleyes:

Thanks Bldsnn.

Interesting, Chase. I too, own a HR Deluxe, that I Love! I have

played through a Deluxe Reverb, though, to great satisfaction. It

was an original "black face," however, and not the Re-issue. Not

sure how much difference, that really makes, but that particular

Deluxe Reverb was outstanding! You may have some tubes, that aren't

as good, as they could be, regardless of tube brand. Tubes can, and

do, make a difference. Also, the HR Deluxe is 40 tube watts, the

DR is 22. More head room, for the HR, and a somewhat smaller cabinet,

for the DR...will make some tonal difference, as well. Still, I'd be

willing to bet, different tubes and even a better speaker might bring

the DR up to your expectations. But, it's up to you, obviously, as to

if you want to bother, with all that. Most people, around here, that

use the Deluxe Reverbs, say they are Great, and very pedal friendly!

So, I don't know, what's going on, there, either. Might have it checked

out, with a good repair place, to make sure all is as it should be, before

you give up on it, entirely? Up to you, though.

CB

Go to Eurotubes.com and get the Deluxe Reverb tube kit with 6V6s. The JJ tubes are 1000000000000000000% better than the GTs that come stock in all Fender tube amps. Tubes make a big difference. Changing the speaker might be a good idea too. Good replacements are the Celestion G12 Greenback or Alnico Blue ( comes stock in AC30s ) or the Eminence Swamp Thang or Texas Heat. The DRRi is a 1X12 so it will not have the bass response of a big 4X12 cab or even a 2X12 combo like your HRD. A good speaker for getting that low end response is the Eminence Tonespotter. I have one in my 1993 Peavey Prowler, which is also a 1X12. Try replacing the tube rectifier, too.

Interesting, Chase. I too, own a HR Deluxe, that I Love! I have

played through a Deluxe Reverb, though, to great satisfaction. It

was an original "black face," however, and not the Re-issue. Not

sure how much difference, that really makes, but that particular

Deluxe Reverb was outstanding! You may have some tubes, that aren't

as good, as they could be, regardless of tube brand. Tubes can, and

do, make a difference. Also, the HR Deluxe is 40 tube watts, the

DR is 22. More head room, for the HR, and a somewhat smaller cabinet,

for the DR...will make some tonal difference, as well. Still, I'd be

willing to bet, different tubes and even a better speaker might bring

the DR up to your expectations. But, it's up to you, obviously, as to

if you want to bother, with all that. Most people, around here, that

use the Deluxe Reverbs, say they are Great, and very pedal friendly!

So, I don't know, what's going on, there, either. Might have it checked

out, with a good repair place, to make sure all is as it should be, before

you give up on it, entirely? Up to you, though.

CB

I agree with you there CB..Maybe the whole changing from handwiring, and f a couple of reviews I've read, there's supposedly a bright cap in there that is a huge contributor to the harsh fizzyness of engaging any dirt pedal...It was never on the original, and alot of people were complaining about it due to the fact if you do remove the cap..it voids the warranty..Aside from a Twin Reverb, I always considered the DRRI the master of cleans...and with my reasoning I conducted that it would be perfect for pedals, and would just as "chameleon" like as my HRDLX or even more so...I did consider the amount of headroon, but didn't think a matter of 18w would make that big of a difference..And like you said maybe some tube upgrades and a new speaker would make it better, but I simply just don't have the money..And if I did replace the speaker would that void the warranty as well? It could be that I just got a "dog" of a DRRI...Either way I live and learn and on to the next amp...If I've learned anything from this, it's how good of a deal and amp the Fender Hot Rod deluxe series really is...

PS: Kaleb My HRDLX is a 1x12..it's not a deville.

Hmmm... whenever I've played on one, I liked it, and it accepted pedals fairly well. I'm into more clean headroom, and when I get the funds together, I can find a vintage (late 60s, early 70s) Twin Reverb for less than a grand out of any store.

I agree with you there CB..Maybe the whole changing from handwiring, and f a couple of reviews I've read, there's supposedly a bright cap in there that is a huge contributor to the harsh fizzyness of engaging any dirt pedal...It was never on the original, and alot of people were complaining about it due to the fact if you do remove the cap..it voids the warranty..Aside from a Twin Reverb, I always considered the DRRI the master of cleans...and with my reasoning I conducted that it would be perfect for pedals, and would just as "chameleon" like as my HRDLX or even more so...I did consider the amount of headroon, but didn't think a matter of 18w would make that big of a difference..And like you said maybe some tube upgrades and a new speaker would make it better, but I simply just don't have the money..And if I did replace the speaker would that void the warranty as well? It could be that I just got a "dog" of a DRRI...Either way I live and learn and on to the next amp...If I've learned anything from this, it's how good of a deal and amp the Fender Hot Rod deluxe series really is...

PS: Kaleb My HRDLX is a 1x12..it's not a deville.

Sorry you're not liking the new amp man. I think evol has one that he hates too. He said it sounds like a wet blanket.

I know exactly what you're talking about with the "bright cap". My ac30 has one as well and I would remove it but it's an insane pain in the *** to get to the cap. I've found out how to get around the problem but I still want to take that cap out.

IMO take it back if your not happy. A nice Vox ac15/ac30 or a Marshall MA50c/Ma100C...just my two cents. I've had my MA50C for three days now and honestly, I'm in love with it. Again it's a love/hate when it comes to my Marshall. Go and try a few amps :)

Sorry you're not liking the new amp man. I think evol has one that he hates too. He said it sounds like a wet blanket.

I know exactly what you're talking about with the "bright cap". My ac30 has one as well and I would remove it but it's an insane pain in the *** to get to the cap. I've found out how to get around the problem but I still want to take that cap out.

Its the stock speaker, get a Jensen

Its the stock speaker, get a Jensen

No, it's definately the cap. The problem is that it's bright as ****, not that it sounds like a wet blanket.

The way I have it set it takes pedals like a champ and sounds good, but I wish I had a little more freedom because if I turn the tone cut down or the treble up **** gets harsh.

I'd be more inclined to go for a Celestion but I wish I could try some speakers out in my amp to get an idea of what I like.

No, it's definately the cap. The problem is that it's bright as ****, not that it sounds like a wet blanket.

The way I have it set it takes pedals like a champ and sounds good, but I wish I had a little more freedom because if I turn the tone cut down or the treble up **** gets harsh.

I'd be more inclined to go for a Celestion but I wish I could try some speakers out in my amp to get an idea of what I like.

I'm talking about the DRRi

IMO take it back if your not happy. A nice Vox ac15/ac30 or a Marshall MA50c/Ma100C...just my two cents. I've had my MA50C for three days now and honestly, I'm in love with it. Again it's a love/hate when it comes to my Marshall. Go and try a few amps :)

That's what I originally wanted was a Handwired Vox ac15/ac30...but of course Vox isn't participating in the 12 month no interest AMS promotion... :rolleyes:

But yeah its packed up ready to go...the only amp that they have, and am half-way interested in is the Super-Sonic..so if that doesn't work out, I'm just gonna save up in bulk..Maybe get one of those Carvin V3M with a 2x12 with Vint.30's...

I would also go for a Twin Reverb, but I dont need all them watts, and I already got the police called on for my HRDLX... [thumbdn]

That's what I originally wanted was a Handwired Vox ac15/ac30...but of course Vox isn't participating in the 12 month no interest AMS promotion... :rolleyes:

But yeah its packed up ready to go...the only amp that they have, and am half-way interested in is the Super-Sonic..so if that doesn't work out, I'm just gonna save up in bulk..Maybe get one of those Carvin V3M with a 2x12 with Vint.30's...

I would also go for a Twin Reverb, but I dont need all them watts, and I already got the police called on for my HRDLX... [thumbdn]

Clean tone for days! with a twin

Back in the olden days I had a DR; dumping it for a bigger tube amp was a major mistake of my music gear career.

But I think one thing about some older amp designs is that I don't believe you can treat all of them the same. Each, IMHO, requires a different type of messing with dials and stuff.

That's very likely why I figure the DR is the best overall tube amp ever designed because it does about anything well "plain" up to and including a solo gig with a microphone. That's "sound" side; and it's also something a medium-size guy can haul to about any venue by himself without a cart.

But you've gotta remember, this amp was designed before stomp boxes and fuzzes.

So... it's when you start messing with pedals that you likely will have difficulties with the DR. So... my wager is that you still could get something close to what you want, but only by rethinking how your guitar, pedals and amp are set up to operate as a whole.

But then... that's just me.

m

I have played through more than a couple of the reissues, and I have owned a few of the origionals, and to me they are not the same amp.

I get the charm of the DRRI, and I understand WHY poeple who have them and have bought them like them. But, I would never recommend anyone buy one new, because you can actually get a 70's silverfaced one for the same price, or close to it.

But, the reason I said THAT was to say THIS: It might be worth it to try a different speaker before you send it back. If it came with the Jensen RI, those don't sound good in the origionals either. I think the Eminence that fender was using in the HOT ROD is a better match for Fender amps than the Jensen RI.

I used to take 2 combos and place them back to back and swap speaker plug ins to hear different speakers with different amps.

Another thing you might try, the first channel on the origionals is not supposed to be as bright as the second channel. If the RI is the same, it can at least tell you what it would sound like if you choose to alter the cap values or remove one.

A lot of the PGS pedal demos are done using a DRRi and it sounds great with pedals. Maybe they modded it somehow or they're setting it a certain way. I wouldn't give up on it so quick even as disheartening as your experience sounds. But then again I didn't hear how bad it sounded..

A lot of the PGS pedal demos are done using a DRRi and it sounds great with pedals. Maybe they modded it somehow or they're setting it a certain way. I wouldn't give up on it so quick even as disheartening as your experience sounds. But then again I didn't hear how bad it sounded..

Does the DRRi have an external speaker cable? like just a jack so you could plug the DRRi into your Hot Rod Deluxe? run it through those speakers without any modifications? Because it might just be the speaker.

Just sayin, you might dig it after because all of the Pedal Demos (I believe) from PGS are done with a Fender DRRi

I know right?? That was probably the MAIN reason why I got one...Now there using a Tone King Imperial..

Archived