Gibson Brands Forums

In Memory of Those Who Served

brundaddy

Our local Memorial Day ceremonies were a bit odd this year.

Our area's Army National Guard unit has been training on ... shall we say "combat skills?" - in Wyoming for deployment to Afghanistan this fall when a batch of them were called away to function as experts in moving earth to craft levees at the state capitol here.

Earlier this year 35 of 160 people in the engineering unit re-upped through the end of deployment in Afghanistan. That may not be entirely unprecedented, but it certainly tells of dedication to each other and serving the nation whenever and wherever needed. They knew, I'll add, what they're getting into.

All of the state's National Guard, both Army and Air Guard, was put on alert this weekend to be ready to be on site at six-hour notice for Missouri River flooding. Yeah, Air Guard folks will be scrunched in with the grunts for chow and such sleep as they may be able to get during flood fighting. They're even accepting the inevitable teasing.

So... the spirit of sacrifice isn't just a matter of "going to war," it can be pretty much anything where there's danger and a need for a trained and dedicated force to take on whatever task...

And in that, they also stand on shoulders of giants.

Here's a tip of my hat to SDANG Command Sgt. Maj. Larry Zimmerman.

m

I shouldn't do this, but I can't help myself... <grin>

Younger guys especially check this out. I think it's a great story.

A farm boy in the late 1930s ended his formal school career after finishing 8th grade in a one-room country school. That was typical for the era. He worked on his family's farm and on occasion would hang out at the rail station and learned a bit of telegraph Morse code.

After some years of that, he figured he'd join the Navy - even though German and Japanese folks were stirring up some nasties overseas.

With so little education, his first job was literally shoveling coal into the steam boilers for a half worn-out pre-WWI destroyer type known as a "four-stacker." It was the perfect example of how "destroyers" came to be known as "tin cans."

Somehow he discovered an opportunity to use his telegraph experience by taking advantage of an opportunity in WWII communications and electronics.

After WWII, after the Korean War, after the Vietnam War, this three-war veteran retired as a Master Chief Petty Officer, the highest enlisted rank in the Navy. He tested out of high school requirements because, even before there were such formal programs, he had created his own education.

A university degree or two later, he had a second career as a public school teacher.

Today after taking a picture of him wearing his master chief uniform at Memorial Day ceremonies, I was proud to be the friend he asked to give a hand up some steps after he served as master of ceremonies.

Harold Brost is an example of how service to country can cover both wartime and peace; and how constant personal improvement can also be dedicated to the betterment of others.

m

I shouldn't do this, but I can't help myself... <grin>

Younger guys especially check this out. I think it's a great story.

A farm boy in the late 1930s ended his formal school career after finishing 8th grade in a one-room country school. That was typical for the era. He worked on his family's farm and on occasion would hang out at the rail station and learned a bit of telegraph Morse code.

After some years of that, he figured he'd join the Navy - even though German and Japanese folks were stirring up some nasties overseas.

With so little education, his first job was literally shoveling coal into the steam boilers for a half worn-out pre-WWI destroyer type known as a "four-stacker." It was the perfect example of how "destroyers" came to be known as "tin cans."

Somehow he discovered an opportunity to use his telegraph experience by taking advantage of an opportunity in WWII communications and electronics.

After WWII, after the Korean War, after the Vietnam War, this three-war veteran retired as a Master Chief Petty Officer, the highest enlisted rank in the Navy. He tested out of high school requirements because, even before there were such formal programs, he had created his own education.

A university degree or two later, he had a second career as a public school teacher.

Today after taking a picture of him wearing his master chief uniform at Memorial Day ceremonies, I was proud to be the friend he asked to give a hand up some steps after he served as master of ceremonies.

Harold Brost is an example of how service to country can cover both wartime and peace; and how constant personal improvement can also be dedicated to the betterment of others.

m

Amen.

My Dad fought at Normandy. He still cries when we talk about it. He helped a German once He said he was only about 18

(as most were) and was injured. He was screaming for his Mother. He was in pain with upper body injuries but didn't know his boots and feet were half way up his calves with the bones poking through the bottom of his boots.

He doesn't have a lot of good things to say about war. Just that it's the young working classes that die to profit the rich.

It's TRUE. I believe if you fight for your country and get injured (disabled) you should never worry again. You should get

Full pension and a house for serving.

My grandfather was disabled in the south pacific in WWII. My dad was in the army during the Veitnam era. I never served, but I so much appreciate the commitment and sacrifice of these brave individuals. God bless you all.

Archived