Gibson Brands Forums

phaser?

Silenced Fred

I've GASd pretty hard for one of these for a while now

I'm not sure it's really your kinda thing though.

Dude! HOLY ****! That thing is balls to the wall insane. I want one.

I doubt its within the 100 dollar range though...

That's why I'm looking at a Phase 90 lol

EQD Grand Orbiter?

These are all so cool, I'll email you a clip of what I'm doing with the wah right now, its just a slow phaser type of thing I guess, and I'm leaning towards the Phase 90 for cost effectiveness.

While I have y'allins attention, has anyone tried out the Whirlwind Phase 90? I have heard good stuff about the company, but nothing about the pedal

I found out, I really want one. I can kind of make a phaser sound when I do the wah really slow, but its a pain in the ***, and i hate my wah.

I know about the mxr phase 90, but what are some good phasers?

Mu-tron might be the best in class. I had one, and the effect is intense and clean. If you find one for cheap, grab it.

AND...if you check into it, you might find a BOSS pedal that you actually like. They make great phasers and chorus and flange. Roland invented the chorus, and the flanger is the same effect as chorus just made to do the phaser thing. the phaser of corse is actually different, but it is based on the same technology. I can not comment on newer manufacture BOSS, but at least SOME of their effects are as good and the same as the old ones.

Also, Ibanez made a pedal called the SESSION MAN when they did the -10 series, which is a delay based pedal that has adjustments wide enough to get delay, chorus, and flange or lots of in betweens by adjusting the knobs. I know it isn't what you asked about, but if you are doing it with a wah, I wonder what you might be able to pull out of one of those-you might get into it.

I can only comment on what I have personal experience with, but I think I have to at least say that while I don't have any experience with the EH stuff, I do hear that poeple really go for it for the phaser stuff.

I'd also say checkout the Blackout Effectors Whetstone, but it looks like your going for something more simple. I just like pedals like the Empress because you can get all the Phase 90 sounds (but better haha) and then you can tweak out and do some crazy ****.

My buddy (the Fender Blender dude) has a Phase 90 that he never uses. I could see if he'd sell it to you. I'm not gonna lie though, it's not a great phaser IMO. It's pretty sterile sounding if that makes any sense.

Maybe check out the reissue one or something like the BYOC clone.

phaser, yet another pointless effect...

i just don't get it with kids these days, whatever happened to 6 strings attached to a piece of wood and your heart? [rolleyes]

Why don't we all play acoustic? Since you don't seem to want effects, I'll take your electrics, your amps, your pedals... wait, you can keep your pedals [thumbdn]

I'd also say checkout the Blackout Effectors Whetstone, but it looks like your going for something more simple. I just like pedals like the Empress because you can get all the Phase 90 sounds (but better haha) and then you can tweak out and do some crazy ****.

My buddy (the Fender Blender dude) has a Phase 90 that he never uses. I could see if he'd sell it to you. I'm not gonna lie though, it's not a great phaser IMO. It's pretty sterile sounding if that makes any sense.

Maybe check out the reissue one or something like the BYOC clone.

Maybe I'll build one

When you're talking Phase90, there are three or four different ones and they all sound a little different.

1. Original MXR script logo. Way expensive so don't bother.

2. Second generation MXR with block logo. This is what I have. These have a mid boost so the pedal is louder than your average Phase90. Some people love this extra noise (me). Some people hate it.

3. Dunlop reissue. Have not heard a lot of great things about these. Have not played one so I don't know.

4. MXR custom shop script logo. I have heard that these are very close to the original and they aren't that expensive.

Outside of that there is the Maxon Phase Tone, which is a lot like a script logo Phase90, but more expensive.

I never understood how a phaser was different from a flanger. I have a BOSS flanger that does a mean phase! [thumbup]

This doesn't really compare phasers to flangers but maybe it will help you understand a little better.

yeah evol the regular dunlop phase 90 sucks. I haven't tried the script version.

When you're talking Phase90, there are three or four different ones and they all sound a little different.

2. Second generation MXR with block logo. This is what I have. These have a mid boost so the pedal is louder than your average Phase90. Some people love this extra noise (me). Some people hate it.

3. Dunlop reissue. Have not heard a lot of great things about these. Have not played one so I don't know.

4. MXR custom shop script logo. I have heard that these are very close to the original and they aren't that expensive.

Outside of that there is the Maxon Phase Tone, which is a lot like a script logo Phase90, but more expensive.

I'll have to go and try some out then. I tried out the standard Dunlop reissue and wasn't too impressed, but I heard that the CS Script was a big improvement, haven't tried one out though

Damn pedal GAS

I think its like $145 here so a bit more then the MXR Phase 90 but probably less then the Script Phase 90 is the EVH Phase 90 it's pretty versatile as its both the block and script in one, just press the button at the top. Also I wanna crack open the new Wylde Phase from MXR and find out what the board says on it cause the Wylde OD has GT-OD stamped on the board which is the custom shop OD pedal.

Best bet would be to stuff a push/pull pot in for one of your volume or tone pots and rewire your pickups so they natrually go out of phase, this is what Jimmy Page did, all four of his control knobs were push/pulls the two volume were coil taps, one of the tone's was a phase inverter and the last one put the two pickups in series (not found on many guitars) and then I believe his pickup selector would select which pickup was in or out of phase, I cant fully remember its been a long time since I looked at the wiring diagrams.

I think its like $145 here so a bit more then the MXR Phase 90 but probably less then the Script Phase 90 is the EVH Phase 90 it's pretty versatile as its both the block and script in one, just press the button at the top. Also I wanna crack open the new Wylde Phase from MXR and find out what the board says on it cause the Wylde OD has GT-OD stamped on the board which is the custom shop OD pedal.

Best bet would be to stuff a push/pull pot in for one of your volume or tone pots and rewire your pickups so they natrually go out of phase, this is what Jimmy Page did, all four of his control knobs were push/pulls the two volume were coil taps, one of the tone's was a phase inverter and the last one put the two pickups in series (not found on many guitars) and then I believe his pickup selector would select which pickup was in or out of phase, I cant fully remember its been a long time since I looked at the wiring diagrams.

I would not call any phase 90 versatile. They do two things. Slow and fast.

The MXR Classic Overdrive is $40 and you can switch between the GTOD and Wylde od.

Wiring your guitar like that would not give you a sweep like what Fred is looking for.

I would not call any phase 90 versatile. They do two things. Slow and fast.

The MXR Classic Overdrive is $40 and you can switch between the GTOD and Wylde od.

Wiring your guitar like that would not give you a sweep like what Fred is looking for.

Never heard of the Classic OD, would be nice to get a pedal for $40. The GT-OD and the Wylde OD retail here for $95 and $99 each so I guess it really comes down to what case you want. If your looking for a nice slow sweep then look at the Wylde one, check out the song Overlord its used heavily in that song and VERY noticable in the intro. Of course I am not saying go out and buy it but it might be something to look at. As for wiring the guitar for true out of phase, I wasnt sure what Fred was looking for so I just threw it all out there.

Ok Nate, it's your money but now that is the one effect I hate THE most out of any effect ever invented. I"m not a big fan of fuzz either but Phaser? comeon please say it ain't so. I bought a phaser years ago and actually threw the thing at my drummer...

Archived