Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone looking for a G400 with P90's?

ReneBoedker

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really like this guitar, but if it costs more than $350, this might be one of the few times when I would save a little more a get a Gibson. Only because you can get one of these for $700 and it has the regular tune-o-matic/stopbar setup (which I prefer).

DV016_Jpg_Large_430970.324_worn_cherry.jpg

Really like this guitar, but if it costs more than $350, this might be one of the few times when I would save a little more a get a Gibson. Only because you can get one of these for $700 and it has the regular tune-o-matic/stopbar setup (which I prefer).

DV016_Jpg_Large_430970.324_worn_cherry.jpg

+1

I've been jonesing for one of those for quite a while now! Had no idea they were at $700. At my local guitar center there's on priced at $900.

Thanks for the link.

I was rather hoping that there might be a Pelham Blue one, in which case the old American Express card would definitely be taking a beating sometime soon. Alas, no.

However...is that neck binding, I see? I rather think it is.

I could definitely be tempted by a TV yellow one.

I don't mind the tailpiece, but agree a Bigsby might find its way on there, eventually...

OK so this post started just in time. Was going to ask if anyone had an SG with P90's in either possition. I'm real close to pulling the trigger on either GFS Dream 90's or Dream 180's. Maybe one in the neck and the other in the bridge. I know this is purely a matter of personal taste, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Really dig the varied opinions!!

Thanks

OK...I deleted it.

Odd, though.

I'm running Windows Vista.

Photos posted in forums such as this are automatically re-sized to a manageable size on my computer.

Is this Vista's doing, or is there something else at work, here?

OK...I deleted it.

Odd, though.

I'm running Windows Vista.

Photos posted in forums such as this are automatically re-sized to a manageable size on my computer.

Is this Vista's doing, or is there something else at work, here?

Even if your browser or OS resizes it for viewing, it first has to download the original version anyway.

OK so this post started just in time. Was going to ask if anyone had an SG with P90's in either possition. I'm real close to pulling the trigger on either GFS Dream 90's or Dream 180's. Maybe one in the neck and the other in the bridge. I know this is purely a matter of personal taste, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Really dig the varied opinions!!

Thanks

I've tried both Dream 90s & 180, they're good pickups but I really like the Mean 90.

Boy what a problem,,,too many guitars ,,not enough time or $$.I was already looking at a Gibson 60s Tribute SG with p90's to match the tribute Les Paul i got a month or so back.Never owned anything with p90s b4 and I have to say they're awesome!!!.. So on the one hand the Gibson is really sweet (played it for bout 40 minutes last week) and it would match the Paul or ,,,,,,,,,,I could wait for this Epi and make a nice addition to the Epi SG thing i got going onT ( G400 Korina and my Prophecy GX)To further complicate things,my guy is blowing out a Les Paul Prophecy GX at a RIDICULOUS price.Not sure whats gona happen but i got a feeling the GIbson id coming home with me with in a week. The tag fell off of it 3 times while i was playing it last week. My freind hte store owner saw it happen once and said ,,,"see,,she knows shs gonna go home with you. " , Ahhhhhh GAS is a many splendored thing.

MY Noisemakers:

Gibson 2011 60s Tribute Les Paul

Epiphone 2008 Sg Custom Prophecy GX

Epiphone 2003 Korina G-400 Sg

Epiphone 1998 Korina Explorer

Epiphone 1998 Korina Flying V

BC Rich 1981 Maple Mockingbird Handmade

Ibanez 2010 ART100-VLS

Ibanez 1977 Les Paul (2351AV)

Ibanez 1976 Stratocaster (2375W)

Gibson 1968 Les Paul Custom

Charvel Fretless Bass

Washburn Lyon P bass

Guild Madiera P-600 Jumbo Acoustic

Applause A-25 Acoustic

Chuan Yin Marina Mark 20SS classical

Carlo Robelli 5 string Banjo

Carlo Robelli Electric Violin

Kay Electric Mandolin

Lignatone Mandolin

Midiman Radium Keyboard

2 Marshall JTM-612 60 watt 1 12 Combos

Love it, shame about the wraparound bridge though.

Are you crazy [blink] ? The wraparound bridge is the best thing on a mahogany/P90 light guitar: it gives them an incredibly resonnant tone, way better than with the tune-o-matin/stopbar bridge (that works fine on other guitars, don't make me tell that one bridge is "better" than the other in general, only with some guitars).

Aren't SGs with the strap-button not on the upper horn (like the Tony Iommi) tend to neck-diving ?

Urban legend IMHO. I have 5 Gibson SG (three juniors from the sixties, a '99 Std and a '97 Reissue 61) and none are neck-diving. And I've had many more in the past.The only neck-diving SG I've met where those with replacement tuners (those heavy Grovers ... keep the stock tuners, they work fine ;) ) or copies (including Epiphone sadly: those longer and heavier heads doesn't help). Here, they've been smart enough to use the right light tuners.

Are you crazy [blink] ? The wraparound bridge is the best thing on a mahogany/P90 light guitar: it gives them an incredibly resonnant tone, way better than with the tune-o-matin/stopbar bridge (that works fine on other guitars, don't make me tell that one bridge is "better" than the other in general, only with some guitars).

Hey, you like 'em, I don't.

Hey, you like 'em, I don't.

No problem with that of course - but it's not about taste, it's about tone: there's a reason why lightweight mahogany guitars with P90 (not only those, but it's a real winning team) sound better with a wraparound bridge than a tune-o-matic. It's just about physics and the way the string vibrations are directly transmitted to the body by a wraparound. If you compare side by side the same guitar (SG junior for an exemple) with a wrap and a TOM, one will be louder and livier (and it's not the TOM one ;) ).

No problem with that of course - but it's not about taste, it's about tone: there's a reason why lightweight mahogany guitars with P90 (not only those, but it's a real winning team) sound better with a wraparound bridge than a tune-o-matic. It's just about physics and the way the string vibrations are directly transmitted to the body by a wraparound. If you compare side by side the same guitar (SG junior for an exemple) with a wrap and a TOM, one will be louder and livier (and it's not the TOM one ;) ).

In that case anything with a TOM would be better served using a wraparound, I don't see it, in any case, I buy an electric guitar to plug it in, not to be played unplugged. To me the physical characteristics of a wraparound are what count against it, lack of intonation fine tuning (after market fix available), all string tension on 2 points, body of bridge tilting forward on the posts, give me a string-thru hardtail bridge or Bigsby any day.

Archived