Gibson Brands Forums

Camera Gear

MrNylon

I use NIKON digital cameras......

Here I am taking a pic of my forum buddies.......p0714.gif

Here I am taking a pic of STEVE.......p0709.gif

And here's me taking a pic of you.......p0711.gif

I use JVC digital video cameras..........

I actually bought a camera this morning even though I love the cannon digital Elph I was wanting something with some more opens and especially some higher quality close-up options for taking pics of small jewelry and artwork.

I bought a Nikon d5100 kind of a middle of the road for a digital SLR but some cool options including a larger screen and a million other features and special effects I probably will never use. Now if I can just figure out which button does what I'll be set.

I'm a Nikon guy. Made all or part of my living with 'em for decades - and not fancy ones, either. I tend to prefer one that does most well and could be replaced it it gets dropped and broken, which has happened.

Canon makes fine cameras. But I think the difference is kinda Gibson vs Martin acoustics: It's largely a matter of feel.

m

Canon makes fine cameras. But I think the difference is kinda Gibson vs Martin acoustics: It's largely a matter of feel.

m

I agree 100%.

Although I use Canons as my day-to-day tools I'm still at heart a Nikon guy.

It really, REALLY went against the grain when I realised that, at the time I had to switch from film over to digital as a recording process, Nikon's camera Software was absolute crap as a 'Professional tool' when compared to the Canon equivalent of the time. I still turn the knobs on my Canons the wrong way even after all this time (Nikon and Canon controls are pretty much total opposites as far as focus/zoom/aperture/shutter speed are concerned).

I'm still a 'Nikon-Guy' at heart even though I've not used their stuff professionally for 15 years...

Nikons are still - camera for camera (imho) - better-built and their zoom lenses (especially) require less post-prod correction.

Canon stuff just works better in my situatuation, though. Nikon's software is still leagues behind that of Canon.

Shame.

P.

m

Interesting take, I always assumed that the folks that thought Cannon was better were just wrong. [flapper]

Bo...

At the level of quality of both Canon and Nikon pro and pro-am cameras, believe me that the photographer makes the difference, not the camera. You can prefer one over the other, and sometimes the way the controls work might make some minor differences in style - but... unless you're paid to say one's best or have prejudices on the controls as Pippy noted... <grin>

m

iPhone 4 because I always have it with me

Canon SX120. Point an shoot camera I got as an open box item for 100 bucks. Surprisingly good quality for the size and money.

I really want a nice Nikon DSLR, but I fear by the time I get enough money it will be going to a Jazzmaster and 335 first so these will have to do for now

Bo...

At the level of quality of both Canon and Nikon pro and pro-am cameras, believe me that the photographer makes the difference, not the camera. You can prefer one over the other, and sometimes the way the controls work might make some minor differences in style - but... unless you're paid to say one's best or have prejudices on the controls as Pippy noted... <grin>

m

Yeah Milo I was making a funny! No doubt a great picture comes from a great photographer.

I used a Canon A1 for about 15 years, before it took a big time fall. I was going to go to stay with a Canon. Went into the camera shop for a replacement, and stated looking at a Nikon N90S. Been using Nikon since about 1994. Both are excellent cameras, but once you have the support gear for one, it makes sense to stay with that one.

But I think the difference is kinda Gibson vs Martin acoustics: It's largely a matter of feel.

m

I pretty much agree, and I do think Nikon glass is better than Canon. However, I ended up with Canon because way-back-when I was shooting college football for a big sports magazine and had 3 Nikons die on me over a 3 week period. I switched to Canon and they've never let me down.

The think I think that non-professionals need to consider that most pros do also is the degree to which a given camera fits the needs of the job instead of what's stylish in the group with which one runs.

One reason I tended toward the most simple of the old "hardbody" Nikons and old-style non autofocus lenses, etc., was that they'd take a picture without a battery. That's pretty important when you know you're quite likely to be in situations where the camera won't be likely to have batteries survive.

Back in the olden days there also were arguments over the quality of film vs the quality of lenses. Nowadays... I dunno. I have a hunch that although both are better - "un-film" digital sensors, of course - matching the two to a photographer's needs are something the average consumer seldom if ever considers.

It's like "anti shake." You've gotta have that when you are forced to take a pix holding the camera out at arms length instead of bracing on your eye and body with a viewfinder of some sort. But what actually does anti shake do... Heck, I've shot hand-helds with a Nikon and a medium size lens at multiple second exposures if I could lean on something.

Frankly I think modern cameras at least of the pro/pro-am variety have much stronger shutters than in the olden days - either that or they last longer because there's no opening of the camera body behind them with digital. I can't believe how many frames one can shoot nowadays without the sort of maintenance we required in the old days.

One fact of life, though: In photography there is a scale that balances every advantage with an equal and opposite disadvantage... Ain't changed since Mr. Eastman invented those handy instantaneous dry plates - if not before.

m

There are some things that work to the advantage of the non pro with some of the newer lens also. The (Vibration Reduction) Image Stabilization enables handheld shooting at up to 4 shutter speeds slower than would otherwise be possible. It comes in handy in those low light situations where a flash is out of the question.

Archived